..BUMP..

Had to go out to Southwell this morning and came across this little gem - apparently, they post worldwide so all our members can now satisfy their childhood sweetie dreams.

DCP_1234.jpg

http://www.sweetshopdirect.co.uk/

Unfortunately, it was closed today so I didn't get a chance to browse the inside of the shop. How many of the sweets can you name?

P.S. Sorry about the reflections in the window but - the SUN was out for a change

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this what you mean, EileenH and crankypig?

One of my twin daughters spent a few months back in the old country, couple of years ago, and came back to Oz with an English lolly addiction ! She regularly seeks out the lolly shops specializing in

what about black jacks and flying saucers The black jacks were 4 for a penny i think and flying saucers wher made of rice pare and me3lted in your mouth ( well my mouth really) we can still buy both

Good grief Frank, I just put an inch on my hips, looking at the website! Good website though, I'm going to try and call in the shop next time I'm over.

Kath

Who can remember those vending machines that if you turned the handle around really slowly you got more of whatever kind of sweet it dispensed? Or the hard candy coated chewing gum form these machines?

We still use them Craig!! only ours are a bit more sophisticated these days,gumballs & all sorts of containers carrying cheap plastic toys that the kids can't get enough iknow

Ayup Craig,

I can remember those machines, I would put a penney in, turn the handle and out dropped five beechnut chewing gums in a small square packet, on the fourth penney to go in the machine out would drop two packets so you got five packets for four old pence

Rog

• 7 months later...
We only thought they were big because we were small?

Black Jacks?

Could not have them nowadays?

And fruit salads too Four for an old penny

• 5 months later...

Bump

Hello, Welcome

Didnt Barnetts used to be on Hartley Road?

Barnetts gradually moved their operation from Hartley Rd. to their No.2 factory site on Cobden Street during 1971/2 When the new factory was built alongside the small existing factory.The Hartley Rd factory was originally about 5 terraced houses knocked into one and converted into the factory...no planning rules in those days.

The land at Cobden street was bought many years previous and was originally the site of a large detached house.For many years there were large wooden sheds on the site crammed full of old sweet jars,many similar to the huge waisted jars seen in Victorian chemist shops.The site was bulldozed ready for the new factory...including the jars....I hate to think how much they would be worth now.....what a waste.

Paul.

Spainish gold....egg n milk chews,,sambo bubbly,bazooka bubbly..texan bar...zoom suckers......and before the 1971 great ripoff i used to get 8 blackjacks/fruit salads for 1d....then when the new money came in it was 2 for 1p.....total rip off.....

As a matter of interest due to the current world fuel and food shortages 'Bassetti' licorice sticks at 10p have now been increased to 15p and 10p candy fags by a similar amount, along with quite a few others.A fifty percent increase overnight....welcome to the 2008 rip off.

Paul.

Pacers,green and white minty chews.

Hanky Panky,some sort of popcorn/caramel stuff.If I remember rightly it was advertised on TV by Arthur Lowe ,(Capt Mannering from Dads Army)...."Here Madam,would you care for some Hanky Panky?....SLAP!!!!"LOL

Dinasour Eggs.We kids had a craze on these one summer.10p bought a small box which contained a dinasour egg(which was sour)Basically a big ol' gobstopper which tasted of watermelon.

Wham bars,definately not as big last time I saw one.

Panda pops.

Corona pop...'Do the Fizzicle'

If you have never seen this website,you have to check it out!It's a real 'memory lane gem'

http://tv.cream.org/

...and why is it that, in my brain, Wagon Wheels were about 6" in diameter and now they look to be no bigger than 3". Are they getting smaller, or is my memory all screwed up!

Somebody's gonna have to ask 'Westons' that question (Or whoever owns the company now) The times I've heard that said....I've always thought the same.I wonder if we are all suffering an illusion?? Maybe not..... :unsure:

The same goes for Mars Bars (They were that big when I was a kid, we used to share one between 4 of us . Or were we just skint??)

And does anyone remember gobstoppers with a jammy type centre ?. The only place I can remember buying them was the newsagents on Bath Street after we had been swimmimg lessons on a Saturday morning

Not sure if this has already been mentioned previously, but I remember Derek Guyler doing an advert on the telly for a little bag of mixed chocolates. Revels maybe? They must have cost 6d in old money because he used to say 'You can't get a box of chocolates for 6d'

• 1 year later...

They all looked the same then didn't they:

HenryHall.jpg

Which one was the boss and which one was Henry Hall.

Those Barnett photos are fantastic, the blokes on the Barnips stand look a bit suspect though, as if they are embarrased at not wearing their Blackshirts.

As mentioned elsewhere I worked for Barnett's in the early 90's and have some unpleasant tales about the place!! I shan't publish them here for fear of lible repercussions!!!

PMs only I'm afraid

• 4 months later...

My dad used to take us on a sunday afternoon to the sweetshop and tobaconist in Netherfield before we moved to Carlton.He would always buy his ciggarettes for the week 3 full packs he was a chain smoker in themdays plus 1lb of mint imperials he would take a few of these down pit every day some for himself and some for the ponies. and 1lb Licrice Allsorts for himself a box of Blackmagic for mum and my younger brother and I could choose 2/6d worh of sweets each to last us the week . By this time we were the only two left at scool, my brother would always choose bars of chocolate that did not last him past tuesday but I would always have 6d smarties 6d cherry lips 6d rainbow dropd the poprice kind the same amount today would cost about a pound 6D pineapple cubes and a bar of frys fruit fiveboy chocolate i ate this on the sunday the rest i would put in a tin and have af few each day this would then last me until the next sunday,this ocorse was just after rationing had finished.

What about anniseed balls, everlasting strip, that if i can remember was a long strip of toffee and barley surer twists thumbsup