Ayup All,

I used to play down the bogs when I were a kid, ( my other granny lived in Bulwell) A paddling pool was provided but it was much better to paddle in the river, as I got older I would catch fish a bit further downstream from the bogs, and older still (aged 48) I attempted to jump the river on my mountain bike, something I'd always wanted to do but was never daft enough to try, anyroad as I was doing my run up across the road near the paper shop a policeman appeared and asked me "what the hell was I playing at" I explained to him my childhood ambition and he suggested "I go home and grow up". So ambition still not fulfilled.

The point of this long winded introduction is... Is there any truth that the council are doing up the bogs and modernising it? (more of my heritage gone if they do)

Cheers

Roger

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you think about it, as kids we rarely saw the sea, so anywhere you could whip off your shoes and socks and get your feet wet, was great. Bulwell Bogs and the River Leen in Billy Bacon's field, we

Got a picture somewhere of me in a pushchair beside the Bogs when i was about 12 months old,with a Sucker' in me hand,.........Mam told me that just after her sister let me roll into the Leen,and when

Here's the info for you, Blondie. Bulwell Bogs Bulwell Bogs The centre of Bulwell is located in a valley next to the banks of the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 ye

Got off the tram at the bogs last July, Whilst waiting for a bus sat and watched the rats crossing over to the rubbish bin for food then back across the river. There were at least 8 children paddling near by.

Thanks for the reply Dodie,

The rats aren't too much a problem but some of them kids are a bl@@dy pain in the a$$

Rog

• Like 1

I remember the bogs. We'd walk down to the bottom of Bells Lane and catch a number 7 to Bulwell Market and go paddling. The Leen was very shallow and crystal clear [in those days anyway, don't know about now] I'd also paddle in the Leen at Billy Bacon's in Basford. Basford Wakes came there after Goose Fair had finished.

My grandad used to stand Bulwell market, and i would very often accompany him and go off to paddle in the Leen, where according to my mum( i dont recall it at all) i was pulled out of by gypsies having fallen in!, Dont know if it was the Bulwell bit or Billy Bacons, anyway, armed with me 6d fishing net, id often go and catch a jam jar full of minnows or sticklebacks!.

Being adventurous too, id often go under the bridge, and head towards where Argos is now, somehow managing to pick up loads of leaches on my legs, despite wearing wellies!

As a Basford kid, id also go to the wakes on Billy Bacons, walking from Northgate, down eventually over the railway crossing , and then crossing the concrete bridge, which was barb wired off, so it couldnt be crossed, but us kids knew no fear, and once crossed, there we were, on Billy Bacons Bogs, the fair calling! The wakes also used to set up on the Shoulder of Mutton car park, and that was a feat in itself as the car park sloped down from the pub at a large angle, ah, happy days!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Can anyone remember when a fair used to come to Bulwell Bogs ? can remember it being there in the early 80s .

The fair used to be on a bit of waste land on the right hand side of Main Street just along from the market we called it Bulwell Wakes. This is late 40's early 50's. My mum used to take me. The fair wasn't very big.

I just remember as a young child of 4 being taken to see the floods in Main Street March 1947. there was a rowing boat on the water!

My grand parents lived on Cinderhill Road and my mum used to take me on the playground at Bulwell Bogs. I can remember a rectangular climbing frame that looked as if it was made up of scaffolding tubes... and quite a long fall onto concrete - non of that bark chippings or rubber flooring in them days LOL!

Can anyone remember when a fair used to come to Bulwell Bogs ? can remember it being there in the early 80s .

Henry Mellors had fairs there quite often, I remember taking my kids there late 70s early 80s.

Rhymester - that would be monkey bars or monkey climber. Funny how we all survived playing [and falling] on concrete, no mamby-pamby soft landings for us.

The fair used to be on a bit of waste land on the right hand side of Main Street just along from the market we called it Bulwell Wakes. This is late 40's early 50's. My mum used to take me. The fair wasn't very big.

I just remember as a young child of 4 being taken to see the floods in Main Street March 1947. there was a rowing boat on the water!

Hi , a couple of pics re Bulwell Floods 1900 & 1947

https://picasaweb.google.com/l.daniels13/RecentlyUpdated?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3Ym_fZ3ZTtzwE

I once caught quite a big Pike in the Leen using " State of the art equipment " ( A house brick ), I only stunned it and walking up past St Marys Church it just about jumped off my shoulder, I was with Brian Noy at the time and his mam cooked it and it tasted great !!!.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Back in the mid 50 I remember paddling in the Leen at the bogs in a new pair of wellies,when i stood on a broken beer bottle.Glad i had the boots on. Could be a dangerous place to paddle with bare feet.

Re the fairs, after demolition etc some fairs were held on site of former scrap yard at side of old station (Hendersons?) Remember later 1990's one hot summer day teenagers "borrowed" loads of used tyres from that tyre centre (former fire station) and dammed the leen where it is in concrete channel, got it deep enough to swim and dive into, bet 5 or 6 feet,

Yes, loads of glasses thrown in the leen there from the local pubs around 1980, saw one girl badly cut (ambulance case) when there with my kids, Trent was same near the rowing clubs, still have scar on my foot from 1950's, dad said at time, or rather after when he saw it i should have been stitched, healed ok though and no tetanus etc!

was referring to the injection, "did yer ave a tetnus?" was a common question after cuts etc, can be a killer though, as I think you meant never heard of anyone getting the infection, guess a bit like rabies etc an olde tyme thing in this country? remember getting scarlet fever and being kept indoors for 28 days, when my uncle had it in the 1930's he was confined in Basford Isolation Hospital for a month, nowadays would probably be given 2 asperin!

I avoided getting all those jabs until quite recently and I seem to have survived so far.

The only reasons for me getting them now is due to Holidays in

Turkey/Egypt were these and more are highly recommended.

In order to do this I have had to conquer a lifelong phobia for needles.

Another thing I always avoided doing was cutting the skin between finger and thumb,

as a Kid it was said that cutting that skin would send you Dumb!

I was told as a kid if you cut your skin between finger and thumb, you'd get lockjaw. Funny how nowhere else on the body would cause it! But I do know of a friend's mum who got scratched by rusty barbed wire on her leg and got lockjaw, had to go in hospital.

• 2 months later...

THE ;COCK AND BULL PUB; across from Bulwell Bogs, Landlord Melvin Dobson and is wife on the right.My wife on Left.