After unloading my shopping into the back of my car, I love to take a walk along Bulwell Bogs: a gentle stroll at the side of the clean watered, fast flowing River Leen; talk to the ducks if there's any taking a journey.

Even though Bulwell's busy, it's not difficult to get lost in the landscape strip of the Bogs at my side; and there's a freshness in the air that I love to take in. I walk down to the iron bridge, cross over and on into the side of the park. I'm not remembering, just walking for the exercise and the breathing in of the air. It's a simple thing that I do but it gives me much pleasure.

Bulwell Bogs has been here since the 1300's, hard fought for - to retain - in the past, long may it reside.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you think about it, as kids we rarely saw the sea, so anywhere you could whip off your shoes and socks and get your feet wet, was great. Bulwell Bogs and the River Leen in Billy Bacon's field, we

Got a picture somewhere of me in a pushchair beside the Bogs when i was about 12 months old,with a Sucker' in me hand,.........Mam told me that just after her sister let me roll into the Leen,and when

Here's the info for you, Blondie. Bulwell Bogs Bulwell Bogs The centre of Bulwell is located in a valley next to the banks of the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 ye

RGR, thanks for putting on such a beautiful photograph of the Bogs; 'Crystal Clear' is I'm sure how Kath would describe it. It always amazes me how transparent the river is at this point.

I know it's only a short stretch that I walk but it always has a calming effect on me and the air is just lovely around here.

Yes it is the River Lean. I remember in the late '50s coming home from school, Bulwell St. Mary's Juniors, coming over the bridge just before Bulwell Crossings and looking over the bridge wall and the river was often red, blue or green. Some slub in the Mill factory was pouring dye into the river which went on for weeks. An old guy that lived near the Bridge, Jumbo Herod, since he had big tabs, use to have ducks on the river there and had beautiful apple trees in his backyard along the river bank. Further down the river some kid from school his house backed onto the river and in the summer where ther was a big tree over hanging the river and he had a rope that hung from one of those big branches and we would swing out onto the river and dropped into the river just wearing our underpants, as it was quite private. Great memories.

Hi RGR, thanks for this other photo of the bridge that crosses over into Bulwell Bogs' park.

Your story of boys swinging on a rope into the Leen was so visual; amazing what you can do with a few words in conjuring up the past.

• 2 weeks later...

The Horseshoe always reminds me of The Ragman,s Daughter.. I seem to remember years ago there was a tug of war over the River Leen at Bulwell Bogs, team from the old Bull and Butcher pub v's ??? around Christmas time? don't know if it was an annual thing or just a one off.

Curly

I am too young to remember..but iirc and I'm sure there are others on here who know better, that Bulwell tram stop/station was where Henderson's (endo's) scrap yard was and there was a guy (from a dominoes team I played in) who worked at the scrap yard and he said he was paid as an extra on the film, drinker in The Horseshoes (I have only seen the film once so can't remember to well) I think the Bulwell Church and Vicarage were also used in the film..

Curly

• 5 months later...

:) There is a 'Bulwell Bogs Action Group'; formed since the area was threatened a few years back.

Since medieval times 'Bulwell Bogs' has been designated as a children's play area.

PS: Love the fresh air along that stretch of river - beautiful.

• 2 months later...

I used to paddle all the way along from where the bridge is opposite the market, to where the concrete area that housed the swings and roundabout, and remember the leeches getting into my wellies when the water went over the top of them!

My mum also tells me that I fell into the Leen and had to be rescued by gypsy's too!

I don't remember that at all............

• 4 weeks later...

:) Was walking along Bulwell Bogs today at the side of a fast flowing, murky River Leen set to burst over its banks, not a whisper of a duck anywhere; unusual sight this, as the river is mostly calm and clear.

Walked on to take a rest and a read in the new library further along. Took a good look through a book on German artist, Albrecht Durer: an incredible medieval painter and printmaker.

Exiting the library I walked down an imaginative pathway: written in the concrete, in blue, were peoples' memories of the Bogs from childhood. Read all of them; recognised some that could so easily have been postings on 'Nottstalgia'*. :)

* I wonder if the City Council 'borrowed' them?