• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you think about it, as kids we rarely saw the sea, so anywhere you could whip off your shoes and socks and get your feet wet, was great. Bulwell Bogs and the River Leen in Billy Bacon's field, we

Got a picture somewhere of me in a pushchair beside the Bogs when i was about 12 months old,with a Sucker' in me hand,.........Mam told me that just after her sister let me roll into the Leen,and when

Here's the info for you, Blondie. Bulwell Bogs Bulwell Bogs The centre of Bulwell is located in a valley next to the banks of the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 ye

Good job nobody photographed the Leen between Wilkos, Argos and Tescos. You could fill a lorry daily with rubbish from that area.

Stella cans and bottles, scratch cards by the thousand, fag packets, disposable nappies, furniture and of course, the worlds greatest provider of rubbish, McDonalds waste. You could put litter bins every two yards. Would they be filled! Not on your life. The local chavs and inbreds would uproot them and sling them in the river.

Re the bus colours, don't you think a better idea would be to give each route a number and then put that on the buses? say 36 from Basford to town. 43 Bulwell to Trent Bridge etc? I'm sure it would catch on and give a more accurate service? true it would mean teaching kids to read or at least recognize numbers but if a problem they could always go to college when 17 to learn? It would also mean that if say a bus broke down they could replace it with ANY bus with just a simple number change? maybe even have a "roll of numbers and termini" that the driver could change? and not have to run a purple bus on a yellow route? (Do they have a reserve bus of each colour waiting in the garage?)

Sorry to have hijacked the "Bogs" thread, but one last thought before I rush off to the patents office I wonder if anyone has thought of using a sort of electric bus? instead of doing more damage to the city than the luftwaffe ever managed, why not try a sort of tram but with pneumatic tyres and instead of rails everywhere that take years to lay just a simple overhead electric supply? I guess maybe a too far fetched idea? besides, what ever would you call it?

• Upvote 4
  • 1 year later...

Hello Catfan, yes Marshalls were the best job i ever had, Arther Rex Marshall started his busness with one lorry from Linby st, side of The Three Crowns pub in Bulwell, in 1925, had a contract with John Players, fetching tobacco from Liverpool docks.

It grew with sucess and had Depots in major Dock Citys up and down the country.

A bit of history in the makeing

Dennis.

Yes Dennis, Arthur and his wife were friends of my inlaws Joe and WynTaylor, Shop owners in the Broxtowe/Cinderhill area who were born in 1908/9 in Basford, sadly, no longer with us - they remember Arthur when he had a horse and cart, he worked very hard starting with nothing and working his way up, John Players were the making of them............

• 1 year later...

All those pictures of Bulwell Bogs just reenforces my view that Bulwell is a lovely place................

• Upvote 2

Got a picture somewhere of me in a pushchair beside the Bogs when i was about 12 months old,with a Sucker' in me hand,.........Mam told me that just after her sister let me roll into the Leen,and when they pulled me out i was still 'Clinging' to me Sucker'..........no wonder i didnt learn to swim till i was 30 but still love a Sucker..............

• Upvote 5

All those pictures of Bulwell Bogs just reenforces my view that Bulwell is a lovely place................

WHAT !!!!

Where did the name Bulwell Bogs originate from ?........

When you think about it, as kids we rarely saw the sea, so anywhere you could whip off your shoes and socks and get your feet wet, was great. Bulwell Bogs and the River Leen in Billy Bacon's field, were wonderful for us kids in the 50's. Give us a sixpenny fishing net and a jam jar, and we were in heaven.

• Upvote 6

We were the same in Hucknall, going to the Rec, Titchfield Park or down the Brook as they say with 3d fishing nets, jam jars and wellies, catching tiddlers, minnows, bully head or a toe biter..........We were lucky though, we had a weeks holiday every year in the pit weeks either to Skeggy or Bridlington and got to the Lido and Newstead Abbey regularly...........

• Upvote 2

WHAT !!!!

Tell me somewhere nicer IN Nottingham blonde,........look at RGR'S pictures again...........look at St.Marys on the hill,even the Riverside health centre is nice,and to top it all you've got me and the catfans............lol.

• Upvote 1

Nobody answered my question, where the name Bulwell Bogs originated from......

I had a Bulwell breakfast recently, it was great- the staff were hung over,the food was top notch,the company was brilliant and a friendly atmosphere all round.

Yes I miss it,it's not like that here,next time Catfan and Benjamin and Dawson might do a Last of The Summer Wine type video..end up on Oxclose Lane in the brig!!

As regards Bogs Blondie, probably less water and more mud in the past??

Here's the info for you, Blondie. :)

Bulwell Bogs

220px-Bulwell_Bogs_View_of_Bridge_to_tra
Bulwell Bogs

The centre of Bulwell is located in a valley next to the banks of the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 years as "Bulwell Bogs", has long been set aside as a place where children can play, paddle and fish.

After an attempt by the Lord of the Manor to enclose the land around the Bogs, in 1872, the people of Bulwell staged a peaceful protest, massing in their hundreds to protect the 'common' land. Described as "...impeccably well behaved and peaceable to a man; indeed rather joyous of spirit!" in the official records, the people of Bulwell marched a short distance before enjoying lunch by the river. After this, the crowd is said to have "...dispersed quietly and as directed with no further disturbance", later winning the fight to designate the land for the "pleasure and leisure of the people of Bulwell".

The whole Bogs area was set to be demolished in 2002, to make way for a large road-bridge and a transport interchange, from where buses, trams, taxis and trains could all be caught. Fierce public opposition from local people resulted in a campaign being launched to prevent the work; the City Council eventually scrapped the plans. With help from local community groups and residents, the facilities at Bulwell Bogs were instead upgraded in 2003 to produce a bigger play-park, a safer paddling pool and a cleaner feel, and won a Green Flag Award in 2004 for the work done to regenerate the area.

As well as the Bogs, there is an area about a mile upstream, near the present-day Moorbridge, which historically attracted children from miles around to play. This led to the nickname "Bulwell-on-Sea" being applied by other Nottingham residents. The building of the outdoor Lido pool nearby further strengthened the connection, with families historically travelling from across the city to spend a day by the water in Bulwell. Unfortunately, despite fierce opposition by local residents, the Lido was demolished in 2006, with the land being sold off to private housing developers.

• Upvote 4

I must have led a sheltered life in Arnold because until I joined Nottstalgia I'd never heard of Bulwell Bogs. I realise now what I've missed all my life!

• Upvote 4