:) Catfan, t'was in the afternoon when I visited Bulwell; took a refreshing walk along 'The Bogs', after I'd visited B&M to pick up some bargains.

PS: Good place for bargains B&M; great to see the place succeeding after a doubtful beginning - I mean, how does a shop follow a memorable 'Woolworth's' that was once there for well over 50 years? :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you think about it, as kids we rarely saw the sea, so anywhere you could whip off your shoes and socks and get your feet wet, was great. Bulwell Bogs and the River Leen in Billy Bacon's field, we

Got a picture somewhere of me in a pushchair beside the Bogs when i was about 12 months old,with a Sucker' in me hand,.........Mam told me that just after her sister let me roll into the Leen,and when

Here's the info for you, Blondie. Bulwell Bogs Bulwell Bogs The centre of Bulwell is located in a valley next to the banks of the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 ye

Managed to get my 86 year old mother to Bulwell from Ravenshead to do a bit of shopping last SeptembSept2012UK450.jpger.We had great time.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

We (siblings and I) used to take rags to 'endos. We'd get thruppence a pound for wollens and a penny a pound for cotton (old money). We also went 'tatting' for scrap copper, brass and lead and took that down 'endos when we had enough to get a few bob.

We (siblings and I) used to take rags to 'endos. We'd get thruppence a pound for wollens and a penny a pound for cotton (old money). We also went 'tatting' for scrap copper, brass and lead and took that down 'endos when we had enough to get a few bob.

Me an'all.

Was born in Deptford Street 1956, my sister tells me a trip to the bogs was a regular event, you could get to the Lean through the allotments to Whitebridge (?) and then the path to Bulwell. My sister still lives in Bulwell and took her own kids to play there, and then the grand kids. In her own words 'I've come a long way in life'!

I remember Whitebridge but that was after the area was rebuilt (around 1964?). Which of the old roads led to Whitebridge? My old map shows Oxford St (where Oxford PH is now), Deptford St (opposite PO), Albert St (almost opposite Broomhill), Northcote St, Chatham St, Latimer St (in that order, heading for Bulwell). Were the allotments after that?

Whatever happened to the plans Bulwell counsellors had for moving the Dovecote on Bulwell High Road across to Bulwell Bogs

I remember Whitebridge but that was after the area was rebuilt (around 1964?). Which of the old roads led to Whitebridge? My old map shows Oxford St (where Oxford PH is now), Deptford St (opposite PO), Albert St (almost opposite Broomhill), Northcote St, Chatham St, Latimer St (in that order, heading for Bulwell). Were the allotments after that?

I presume the White bridge is the footbridge over the railway. There was a footpath that connected the ends of Albert St, Northcote St, Chatham St, and Latimer St. But not Oxford St & Deptford St. the tanning factory was in the way, but if the gates were open you could get through the school yard.

My Grandparents lived on Albert street, last house before the school, the allotments were across the railway lines from the bottom of Albert street

Rog

Hi every body, i,m now living in Swinton Manchester, but my heart is still in Nottingham, getting back to Bulwell, in the earley

1960,s i worked and Drove for a haulage company named A.R.Marshall and sons, situated on Hucknall Lane, were Morrisons

stands now. I lived up Sellerswood for 25 years, and have seen quite a lot of changes to Bulwell in the last 50+ years.

After shopping at the weekend, we used to sit and feed the Ducks down at the side of the Leen on Bulwell Bogs.

The first thing we would say as the Ducks gatherd round for a feed was Aup meducks, Memory,s they live forever,good old days.

Some times i wish i was back there, but time roll,s on..

Dennis.

• Upvote 2

Hi Dennis, I well remamber A R Marshall Transport in Bulwell, now sadly gone.

A mate of mine worked there about 1970 ish as a young lad being a driver's mate, unheard of today ! His name was Harry Whitehouse.

My old mate John Gunn, now sadly no longer with us, worked for Marshalls Transport in the offices in the late 60's. Did they have a depot on Pasture Lane in Ruddington at some time about then?

Not sure if Marshalls were down Pasture lane Ruddington, the only transport company I knew of down there was Thompson and Jewitt, used to do a lot of Scandinavian runs

Rog

Hello Catfan, yes Marshalls were the best job i ever had, Arther Rex Marshall started his busness with one lorry from Linby st, side of The Three Crowns pub in Bulwell, in 1925, had a contract with John Players, fetching tobacco from Liverpool docks.

It grew with sucess and had Depots in major Dock Citys up and down the country.

A bit of history in the makeing

Dennis.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...