What And Where Was This Building?

It looks like the old Nottingham CO-Op building on Parliement and Dearby Road around 1945

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snackeryvb8.jpg

If you look a bit further down the road, it looks like they were still building

the Royal Centre? When would that be?

royalcentre.jpg

And wasnt the building on the left some kind of Electrical Power House,

possibly connected with the Trolly Buses?

power.jpg

That chippy mentioned used to make their own pies and they were quite famous (I think I read it in an Old Nottingham photograph book. It's at my mums house I think ,I shall have a look next time over)

Just looking through a Nottingham in the 80s book and there is a fish and chip shop called the Snackeryon Wollaton Street. This was a multi-roomed fried fish place formely owned by Harry Lomax. The building hardly chaged right up till demolition in early 80s

Just looking through a Nottingham in the 80s book and there is a fish and chip shop called the Snackeryon Wollaton Street. This was a multi-roomed fried fish place formely owned by Harry Lomax. The building hardly chaged right up till demolition in early 80s

Whats it like to be ignored eh Nick

!jumping!

I think the power for the trolley buses used to come from a place between the Huntigdon St bus station and the dance/bingo hall on St Annes well Road.

Den.

And next to it was the public toilets where the 'gay' men used to hang out. Only went past once and avoided it like the plague from then on!! :Shock:

Whats it like to be ignored eh Nick

!jumping!

Ha ha

On Wollaton street opposite the Tap & Tumbler before the Royal Hotel was built anyone remember a chippy think it had 2 or 3 floors always packed out ?

Did i dream it ? surly someone remembers this chippy ? could have be called something like the snackery ? Frank ? Mariag ? Beef ? Anyone ?

I think the power for the trolley buses used to come from a place between the Huntigdon St bus station and the dance/bingo hall on St Annes well Road.

Den.

There was an old Corporation DC power hall on Hanley Street just off Wollaton Street. Across the way there was a car park with a Skills' office where you could book your evening mystery tours and day trips to the seaside in one of their peppermint green Scenicruisers.

There was an old Corporation DC power hall on Hanley Street just off Wollaton Street. Across the way there was a car park with a Skills' office where you could book your evening mystery tours and day trips to the seaside in one of their peppermint green Scenicruisers.

Thats where we went to Crich Tramway museum from (mentioned elsewhere) and when we got there it was closed

:o Would that be in the early 70s or even late 60s.. The wife and i use to go and have a drink in the County Hotel next to the Theatre Royal on a Saturday night before going for a Chinese meal at the HONG KONG on Wollaton Street. I think before it was vandelised by the council of the time was it a Night Club for a spell, :D It's a nice office block come car park now :angry:

:ph34r: Does any one know the name of the night club :ph34r: because i don't.

Been away so just catching up. I believe the chinese on Wollaton Street was called the Canton, the Hong Kong was on Arkright Street just passed the Midland Station.

Val

• 4 months later...
So 2 months later you all remember the chippy !! thought I'd dreamt it .

The Snackery formerly Harry Lomax's fried fish restaurant.

Quite the opposite was the Wollaton Street Chippy (or was it 'Servery' ?).

Still goes down in my list as one of the best ever,,,, (& i've done my best to sample 'em all over the country)

I still recall the waitresess - never used a pad or anything to remember the orders,,,, they'd take the orders from say 4 tables in her head,,,, & deliver all to the right person (try asking a 'new' Bar person the price of TWO drinks - they can't tell ya until they use the till to add them up !!!!!!!)

Ha ha so there was a chippy on wollaton street ?

• 2 months later...

,,,, for those of you that don't know, those Windows above the chippy front were all dining rooms. The waitresses would run up & down a very tight winding staircase with great trays full of platters,,,,, never used to write owt down,,, just tell her what you wanted (maybe 2 or 3 tables at a time) & back she'd come with the correct orders,,,,,

not just impressive service,,,, but unbeatable food as well !

slaver,,,, slaver,,,,

• 3 weeks later...