What And Where Was This Building?

I think it was the Hand Inn later to become the Stage Door.

And at one time I think it was named the Rat & Parrot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know Frank didn't work at the Stage door/ Rat and Parrot. When Larry Lloyd owned it the main man was Festus with some other black guys and yours truely. When it was the Rat and Parrot two black lads named Paul and Chris (Formerly at the Q.E. ) were running it. Of course I had been abroad so it could have been then

I think it has been posted else where that I only ever used it in those heady days as a short cut when on our way from The Tavern in the Town ,up to Scamps

As far as I know Frank didn't work at the Stage door/ Rat and Parrot. When Larry Lloyd owned it the main man was Festus with some other black guys and yours truely. When it was the Rat and Parrot two black lads named Paul and Chris (Formerly at the Q.E. ) were running it. Of course I had been abroad so it could have been then

Remember Festus worked on Dog & Bear with black Alf .

On Wollaton street opposite the Tap & Tumbler before the Royal Hotel was built anyone remember a chippy think it had 2 or 3 floors always packed out ?

Festus (Not his real name by the way) worked at a lot of places over the years, he 'retired' from door work whilst at the Stage Door cirrca 1996

You may have seen big Frank Froch in there on his way to work at Arrabellas for Alan, they all used to come in for 'early doors' (10.30pm)....LOL

Alfie no toes as we called him (he had had an earlier accident) died in early 97. He fell down stairs and banged his head on a radiator. His wake was at the pub that became Hooters first residence (The old railway arches)

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the recent picture posted by Mick2Me of Madisons(with the trams)IS that the original building that Madisons was housed in?It looks different to me(I've been away a few years mind!)

Wasn't the bar below Madisons called Sunset and Vine?

Oh heady days indeed!!LOL

Anyone remember the Intergalactic Gargle Blasters from Vogons?(Snakebite+Pernod and black )sorry,gone off on a bit of a tangent there!!!

It was a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster ,named after the drink drunk by Zaphod Beeblebrox in "The Hitchickers Guide to the Galaxy" but I can't remember where it was

Going back to the recent picture posted by Mick2Me of Madisons(with the trams)IS that the original building that Madisons was housed in?It looks different to me(I've been away a few years mind!)

Wasn't the bar below Madisons called Sunset and Vine?

Probably not ?

70s ?

gaumontvh4.jpg

203330994_5bc2a8d63a_b.jpg

Madisons was housed in a newly built building (It replaced the old Gaumont) Sunset and Vine was underneath (The same nationally, as Madisons was a chain like Tescos!!! owned by Mid Summer Leisure) I think it became a car showroom for a little while (I may be wrong there though)

Not sure about the car showroom but Madison's was definitely in that building - there's still a club there but I have no interest in what it's now called. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't remember the gaumont or the County Hotel. But seeing pictures of them makes me furious. Why on earth were these buildings allowed to be demolished. They're 200% better than what's there now.

And still the mindless destruction of beautiful old buildings continues..... The evening post building...The GCR viaduct... The ABC cinema. Makes me so cross!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know the pub but I think it's on Wollaton Street next to the old Gaumont - 'bout right where the chip shop used to be. Went in there many a time wi me mam on a Saturday when she'd finished shoppin' in the old Co-op. Used to sit at the little shelf on the wall on a stool to eat me chips.

I think it was the Wilberforce Tavern and I do remember the small chippy next door - I always thought it was the best one in town.

Now I've just got to remember the original name of the pub that is across the road.

I used to go in the Wilberforce (Tavern) occasionally when I was at Trent Polytechnic from '76-'80. I recall one night a group of us students descended on it one Thursday night to find the place absolutely deserted except for the landlord. It was freezing cold in there so he wheeled through a Calor Gas heater to keep us all warm! I didn't call there often as I wasn't a Shipstones fan. I do remember the chippy next door which I agree was a really good one.

Across the road at that time of day was a pub called The Rutland Arms. I've never been able to figure to this day if that pub was what became The Tap and Tumbler but I don't think it was. The Rutland was an 'Irish' pub before the modern version of what an Irish pub is was invented in most towns. On memory it was a pretty rough and ready bar with bare floorboards. There was a jukebox in there I recall which had lots of Irish rebel songs on it.

...I didn't call there often as I wasn't a Shipstones fan...

I'm right with you there mate! I never did figure out the attraction in Shipstones beer - but I was raised on Home Ales!

Across the road at that time of day was a pub called The Rutland Arms. I've never been able to figure to this day if that pub was what became The Tap and Tumbler but I don't think it was. The Rutland was an 'Irish' pub before the modern version of what an Irish pub is was invented in most towns. On memory it was a pretty rough and ready bar with bare floorboards. There was a jukebox in there I recall which had lots of Irish rebel songs on it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that - the Rutland Arms certainly rings a bell. Don't think I ever ventured inside until the revamp into the Tap and Tumbler.

That chippy mentioned used to make their own pies and they were quite famous (I think I read it in an Old Nottingham photograph book. It's at my mums house I think ,I shall have a look next time over)

On Wollaton street opposite the Tap & Tumbler before the Royal Hotel was built anyone remember a chippy think it had 2 or 3 floors always packed out ?

So 2 months later you all remember the chippy !! thought I'd dreamt it .

The Snackery formerly Harry Lomax's fried fish restaurant.

:o Would that be in the early 70s or even late 60s.. The wife and i use to go and have a drink in the County Hotel next to the Theatre Royal on a Saturday night before going for a Chinese meal at the HONG KONG on Wollaton Street. I think before it was vandelised by the council of the time was it a Night Club for a spell, :D It's a nice office block come car park now :angry:

:ph34r: Does any one know the name of the night club :ph34r: because i don't.

Well, the Gaumont was demolished somewhere between '72 and '74 because I remember the footings across the road from thre Penny. The very same footings into which Mick Wallis pushed a car and its occupants for pissing him off in the Penny - He had quite an audience as I recall and the guy going over the edge kept trying to usze his brakes to saty on the road. Mick was considered, not exactly well-hard but very, very dangerous! Nice bloke though!

I thnk the Penny must be the club you're thinking of since it was on the opposite side of the street and I think the council offices were above it.