I'm a Ruddington resident now, and have been for the past 30 years.. There's seven pubs in the village and a couple of clubs, but not one of them are what I would term a decent drinking hole. Friday and Saturday night is invasion night from that lot just over the old railway bridge, fights, drugs and under age drinking is rife, best pub now, in my opinion, and it ain't all that great is the 'Vic Tavern', real ale in there. Top house has been ruined, looks like a town bar with a Thai Restaurant at the back. Jolly's has gone right down the pan, Brickies full of Cliftonites, Tilloes, Crap Ale, Red Haert, full of teeny bobbers and White Horse, the Landladies gaze can kill at 1000 yards! Clubs are the Estates Club, very clicky and the Con Club, also very clicky as most clubs are. I go into town a frequent the VAT & FIDDLE, now thats what I call a pub, a million different whiskies behind the bar and about seven or eight constantly changing REAL ales, a drinkers paradise! By the way the Jollies was a decent pub when 'Jolly Jack' had it, open fires in all the little rooms, Jock playing on the piano on a Friday and Saturday night with everyone having a good old sing song to the likes of Bing Crosby, Al Jolson and those of that genre. And they say things are getting better - I doubt that!

I go into town a frequent the VAT & FIDDLE, now thats what I call a pub, a million different whiskies behind the bar and about seven or eight constantly changing REAL ales, a drinkers paradise!

I'll second that pall, the Vat & Fiddle is one of the Oasis’s in the scrap yard of the modern era bling pubs. There are others I must point out but they are as rare as a brick on the bar to strick a match on.

Bip. :ph34r:

Limey, would your uncle be 'Brian Dickman' by any chance?

Sorry, his name was Will Martin.

My guess is that he sold the business in the mid 70's.

Brian Dickman's (my mate Jason's dad) garage was originally just off the high st at the back of the conservative club. I think he moved to east thorpe st in the late 80's?

I can remember the pumping station though when i used to walk to school (when it was safe to) and i remember the guy in the cloth cap that used to man the pump.

Me mum used to fill her austin morris up there on a regular basis.

You're right about the pubs in rudd nowdays though pemberton, it's druggy central on a weekend. It used to be a top night out years ago...!

Brian Dickman's (my mate Jason's dad) garage was originally just off the high st at the back of the conservative club. I think he moved to east thorpe st in the late 80's?

I can remember the pumping station though when i used to walk to school (when it was safe to) and i remember the guy in the cloth cap that used to man the pump.

Me mum used to fill her austin morris up there on a regular basis.

You're right about the pubs in rudd nowdays though pemberton, it's druggy central on a weekend. It used to be a top night out years ago...!

Yep - the guy with the cloth cap would have been my uncle!

The side story is interesting - he bought the business with his winnings on the "pools". I remember the cheque was framed and hung on his living room wall - it was 2,000 pounds! Doesn't sound like much today, but back in the late 50's it must have been a fortune!

• 1 year later...

First job I ever had was as a butcher's boy for Len Steele in Southwell, about 1973. About a year later I started doing a few hours at the Red Lion, Thurgarton, washing up in the kitchen; handy 'cos we only lived across the road! My mum worked there as head waitress and the old man did the glass collecting Saturday nights, so it was very much a family affair.

First "proper" job I had, in between leaving Digby College and joining the Army in 1977, was at Wright's and Dobsons' on Carlton Road, as a machine minder. Quite a steep learning curve for a naive 16-year-old grammar school boy; I got the job purely by chance when my moped broke down on the way back from the Sal one night, and I left it at the factory till morning 'cos the lights had packed up. When I went back the following day, I happened to hear about a job going and was set on on the spot!

After my time in the REME, I landed a job at GT Cars on Ilkeston Road, in the parts department. Could have stayed there for years, but the parts manager was a bit of a berk and after a silly row about some long-forgotten trifle I quit and went on me own as a mechanic. That didn't really work out, not enough trade to go round so on a friend's recommendation I signed up with Mayday on Bridlesmith Gate as a lorry driver. Been in road haulage ever since, doing everything from warehouseman and driver's mate to transport manager,apart from a couple of spells in recruitment as a consultant.

In the 70's there was an accident outside GT cars.

A car ran into their fence and the pole went straight under the engine, pinning the driver to his seat like a kebab.

He survived.

Thats bought some memories back Radford, do you remember the cartoon adverts for Shipsides that used to be in the NEP? written and drawn and signed by someone called KARM, knew the man personally

Rog

Re impaling accidents my cb twig flew off roof of my sherpa and hit a bloke, doctors said it was worst case of van aerial disease they'd ever seen! My first job was apprentice Electrical Fitter at Blackburn and Starling stuck it about 18 months, best job I ever had was on the dole, pay was a bit crap but hours were sh1t hot

Certainly was Scriv, someone I know had to take some pictures of said pole , didn't they Mick??

By the way ,we have followed each other around Scriv , I was a butchers boy first off, then went to Digby , I also worked for a short while at Wrights and Dobson, was a motor mechanic, worked as a lorry driver for May day on Bridlesmith gate,ended up full time as a lorry driver / warehouseman before my accident . I am now waiting to see whats around the corner. (I suppose I could always join the Royal Engineers!!! or in recrutment)

Forgot to mention I was in the pub game for a long time too

A remarkable set of coincidences.

I wasn't at Wrights and Dobsons very long but it was fun. Do you remember Bert, the diehard Elvis fan, and Horace, the classic "miserable old sod" who was the butt of many jokes? I worked in the flock print department, and one of the jobs involved going into the big ovens when the fabric got caught up, to untangle it. I was hot as hell in there, can't imagine for a minute they'd let you do it today!

When the fabric came out of the ovens it was put into big wheeled tubs; since it was absolutely buzzing with static this could be tricky if you didn't want to get a sizeable belt from it. Trick was to use one of the long cardboard tubes to feed it in, then shout someone to grab the barrow and replace it with an empty one. Naturally this would give the erstwhile assistant a tidy nip, Bert and Horace, mentioned above, were not the brightest of souls and despite having been there for years still fell for it on occasion.

Mayday..... good old Kev McCormack, what a character. The money ws rotten, and in those days temps didn't qualify for holiday pay, but it was a very useful way for a bloke to learn the trade. I did a lot of work for Fords (always think that chain was ahead of its time) Randalls the plumbers merchants on George Street, run by a little bald-headed and toothless bloke called Joe who was one of the great cursers of his generation, BRS when they were on Carrington Street and also Clearways on Triumph Road. There were many more but these were the ones that stuck in the memory.

My last trip to Nottingham and Southwell was touched with a hint of sadness; somewhat inevitably Wrights and Dobsons' factory is no more, but less excusably so is the old Minster Grammar School in Southwell where I was educated. All now combined into a new "super-school" on the old Edward Cludd site on Nottingham Road, looks good but completely against the grain for someone like me who believes firmly that over-big and impersonal schools had much to do with the demise of good education in the UK.

My first job was also a butch boy,,, sorry,,,, butchers boy (that sound's worse !)

Hackworths - one of the back streets off Arkwright Street. My job was making sausage, and pies & 'boning bacon' (?!?!).

On a wednesday I made drippin'. I'd render the fat down in something like a council house washing boiler, with a similar tap on it. Boy - did it stink on drippin days.

At some point went to Skerritts on Sherwood rise. Got the sack for not cutting my hair (no comments please !). The main manager ran off with a roll of copper sheeting,,,, god knows what it was worth,,,,, but he must have thought it worthewhile.

Then went to Taggs at daybrook. I walked in off the street to ask for a job, and as a van was leaving for Scotland the following day - I got the job, cos I was willing to go !

after that I started to enjoy work,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and carried on enjoying it till I could work no more,,,,

B

I also had a job in the butchers dept at the co-op ( as was ) in chilwell...washing up....a huge sink full of the sharpest knives known to man...and i had to delve me hands in and wash em.......also had to use the old black bicycle with the big basket frame on the front to deliver leaflets around the neighbourhood.....they let me go when they started to find piles of leaflets over fences e.t.c.