Trouble is Craig we are all so politically correct & anal that we can't see the trees for the forest. I remember that song really well. When in the 60's was it out do you know? There was another song I remember that had risque lyrics too,can't remember it at the moment it's on the tip of my tongue i know

Does anyone remember Judge Dredd,boy could he make up a rhyme.............Not !!!

But can we remember.

"and this weeks number one is a record by Max Romeo... Beep Beep Beep, Its 7 oclock ,and here is the the news from the BBC"

Possibly because it wasnt a hit, whereby Max Romeos song was. Could also be that i didnt spell his name right, its Hinds, sorry. He died 2 years ago.

Hmm....his name is on the same site spelt the way i did it first...... confused.cant be a different one as the Dominos are mentioned both times, as is an early song of his.

• 2 years later...

Just come across this topic...I have the original Island single of Rub Up Push Up and Justins name is spelt Hind..no s at the end...also have it on cd where its spelt Hinds..anyone know which is correct?

pete c....still riding a vespa

Correction to my previous post..on the cd the name is spelt Hinds on the vinyl its spelt Hines...Island Records WI-194..B side is called The Ark....must lay of the Becks in the evenings it only confuses me!!

I would say that as the single (which I have in my collection too) is over 40 years old, that should be the accurate spelling of his surname, unless of course they ballsed it up on first release, and the cd is the correct spelling!

Who knows Craig I have seen different spellings for Desmond Dekker.(and I'm hoping right now that I have spelt it correctly)..have seen it a few times as Dekkar...Think Rub Up Push Up on a 45 is worth a few bob Craig.

• 5 years later...

90% of pop music was always about sex, we just didn't know it when we heard it, especially imported American/Black music. Did anyone else hear a radio prog by George Melly called Filthy Jazz? That was old stuff, what about Stop-don't do it? I hear it played often in broad public like fair grounds and GARDEN PARTIES. Difference is music like that was played in small spaces now it's spread far and wide by the "media" I do like that F Sinatra song though about it being a very good year for about six different girls..

I have a double CD titled "Bed Spring Poker"containing 48 tracks such tracks as

Let me play with your poodle - Lightnin' Hopkins

I want plenty grease in my frying pan - Margaret Carter

I'm a rattlesnakin' daddy - Blind Boy Fuller

Lead pencil blues - Johnny Temple

I found your keyhole - Al Miller

Some of the tracks date back to the late 1920s

So nothing is new ;)

• 7 months later...

Justin Hinds is also listed as Hines in the Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide.

Never seen Desmond Dekker spelled differently.

Overtly sexual songs/lyrics were indeed very common in blues/jazz going back to the early part of the 20th C and very probably before. They were also very prominent, but a bit less obvious, in UK Music Hall songs.

Bessie Smith 'Kitchen Man'

Sippie Wallace

'I'm a Mighty Tight Woman'

Col

• Upvote 1

Vanita Smythe..

Bull Moose with his Big 10 Inch...

Col

And back on the Reggae, here are a couple more I recall from back in my DJ days.

Soul Sisters.. 'Wreck a Buddy'

I think I get their drift.... :)

Nora Dean Barbwire

Col