Modes of Transport

The 'Fashion 2' topic seems to have got onto motor cycles versus scooters so maybe scope for a whole new topic. As previously stated I had a 500 cc BSA A7, but passed my test on a BSA 250cc C11G, which was the forerunner of the C15. We used to say BSA stood for 'bits stuck anywhere' AJS - 'All junk and scrap', does anyone know of any more. By the way do any of you remember such names as Francis Barnett, James, etc etc unionflag

As I said in the other thread, I originally had a Vespa 150 - but saw the light and graduated to a Triumph 500 Speed Twin - I can't remember the year, but it was unit construction.

A friend had a Royal Enfield 250GT - that was a nice bike - and the first I ever knew of that had a 5-speed gearbox. I certainly remember some of the odd makes - what about Greaves, Velocette, and of course Aerial. A lad at school had an Aermacchi (sp). It was also a 250 but it went like stink - a lovely looking bike.

We used to say that BSA stood for "Bloody Sore sparrow"!

Red/White Lambretta 150li was my transport for 8 years....sold it to Horace Rogers on Alfreton Road - must have been mad!

Should have kept it for ever - but you don't think!

My daughter's neigbour has 4 Lambies; his hobby is "Messin' about with em".

He and I had a spin around the Vale of Belvoir last summer..me on his 150, him on the 200GT. Wonderful...never had so many women look at me before :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup Pemberton,

The first motor bike I owned was an Ambassador 175cc with a villiers engine, single cylinder two stroke with big brass flywheel on the right hand side of engine,

Later on in life I graduated to a Kawasaki 750cc triple and the 250cc triple they were a definate cure for constipation. What about the Matchless and the crossbreeds such as Triumph/Norton=Triton & Triumph/BSA= Tribsa.

Rog

Croosbreeds came out with some good combinations, especially the 'Triton' Triumph Bonneville engine in a Norton featherbed frame. Pity you went over to the other side, Plantfit, when the 'japcrap' came out it spelt the death knoll of the great British Motor Cycle manufacturing era.

Croosbreeds came out with some good combinations, especially the 'Triton' Triumph Bonneville engine in a Norton featherbed frame. Pity you went over to the other side, Plantfit, when the 'japcrap' came out it spelt the death knoll of the great British Motor Cycle manufacturing era.

My first motor bike was a Jap bike light years ahead of the British competition at the time and I believe still are…….

Bip. :ph34r:

I never actually bought a bike, but a mate had a Beezer Bantam he'd let me have a go on, it had a tigers tail attached to the filler cap..remember the "put a tiger in your tank" ad? The one i really wanted as a bike before the test, when you could have a 250cc er was the Royal Enfield GT, my uncle said he'd buy me one, but never did.

As for Ariels, there were 2 around at that time, the Arrow, and the...........bu99er....forgotten what it was called! help here?

I never actually bought a bike, but a mate had a Beezer Bantam he'd let me have a go on, it had a tigers tail attached to the filler cap..remember the "put a tiger in your tank" ad? The one i really wanted as a bike before the test, when you could have a 250cc er was the Royal Enfield GT, my uncle said he'd buy me one, but never did.

As for Ariels, there were 2 around at that time, the Arrow, and the...........bu99er....forgotten what it was called! help here?

Ariel Leader!

Ayup Craig,

The Japs stole the engine design of the ariel arrow to produce the yamaha twins in the early years and they managed to get rid of the oiling up problem by having a separate oil feed system, Ariel would have got there given the right backing but as usual we Brits come up with the technology and let others capitalise on it, then the bu@@ers sell it back to us at a huge profit,

Rog