• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

• 2 months later...

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and mint sauce. Used to go in there on duty and feast on a big bowl and carry on working feeling so warm and full after a big bowl! I think I lived in one of the best times to live, the 60's. That said, I'm happy still being here 50 years later. Having said all that, during a trip back to the UK 40 years later, I decided to visit Nottingham and couldn't believe how much everything had changed. During the late 60's it was a vibrant, busy city centre, both during the day and evenings. During my visit, I hardly saw anyone on the city centre, never saw a bobby on the beat but saw lots of police cars instead of coppers walking around. How times have changed (for the worse).

Lastly, anyone remember Tug Wilson, Big John Smith or any of the other officers in Central Division?

• Upvote 5

Hello Pete and welcome to Nottstalgia. I left Nottinghamin the 1960s so I don't recall the policemen you have mentioned. Saying that! You are in for a treat. Tug Wilson is a name remembered by many on Nottstalgia. You will find that there are lots of memories to share about him. Happy Hunting.

• Upvote 1

Hello Pete and welcome :)

Your telling us coppers used to go out and walk the streets of Nottingham <meldrew>I Don't Believe it!</meldrew>

You'le be telling us next they felt a few collars as well?

The John Smith you mention from Central could be one of at least two, PS.628 John Smith, tall and slim, or DC. John Smith,

Very tall thick set with grey hair, ex Guardsman. Lived at Mapperley and was a beekeeper. Some of his final years spent as a Crime Scene Investigator @ HQ SOCO. Tug Willson is mentioned elsewhere here, as is his Partner Danny Hindman.

I do remember the curry at the Belvedere also seemed to contain mushy peas?

A search here will reveal much of what you speak, and more, already under discussion.

• Upvote 1

Why is it that Victoria Market is the only place (that I know of) on Earth that serves just mushy peas?

AND - Why is it that good mushy peas can only be obtained in, and around, Nottingham?

Enquiring minds want to know!

!hungry!

Thhe markets in Lancashire sell mushy peas. Sometimes green ones and sometimes black ones; it may depend upong the season.

Tug Wilson was like a beacon in the night in Market Square over the weekends, he was so tall!

I don't remember Tug Wilson working the night shift. I always thought he was posted outside the Council House more as a symbol of Nottingham. A tourist attraction, just like the guards standing outside Buckingham Place.

I think he lived at Radcliffe on Trent.

I may be mis-remembering but I was sure I had seen him on duty on Friday and Saturday evenings.

I always remember him standing outside Yates's . Only on the nights when I could focus though. LOL

He was still a copper though, when all said and done.

I looked upon him with resentment as I considered him a threat to me and my mates having drunken fun and playing pranks.

Pete the retired cop

I used to work Bassetlaw Worksop and Retford in the 80s. I certainly recall Tug Wilson and his brother, little Tug (who wasnt that little)

You may remember Len Smith, a Yorkshireman from Maltby, worked central control during the 70s, Boots Hardy, Ray Machin (dog section and his rather tough dog, Major) Dan Hindman, Pete Ridgway, and many others.

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off peas for life!!

• Upvote 4