• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

I did find Patak's Curry Paste in a store in Pasadena, but it was an asian store.

They have a lot of that too dont know why as not many Indian /Pakistani around here only the Gas stations & 7/11's

Yor comment Pasadena brought up a memory of the first record i wore out Marty Robbins--- El Paso or something like that

They have a lot of that too dont know why as not many Indian /Pakistani around here only the Gas stations & 7/11's

Yor comment Pasadena brought up a memory of the first record i wore out Marty Robbins--- El Paso or something like that

sorry to say i do not like any tinned mushy peas as once open they drop out in one gluppy mess,i either soak my own,but farmfoods frozen ones cook very well,they do taste just like the ones from the old central market stall,alot of the chippies do not have real mushy peas,even though they say they are,some are tinned,but we all have different opinions

:biggrin:Radford, a pound of course me duck; everything a pound unless 2 or 3 for £1. However the other day I got 6 packs of curry flavoured noodles for £1 - tasty they were to. Went the next day to buy some more but they'd all gone - just shows lots more people like me are on the lookout for bargains.

PS: Came across a terrific B&M today at Beeston. :biggrin: Massive it was, in the place where the old Sainsbury's used to be.

Happy Shopping.

:biggrin: Hi Paulus, B&M's are extremely cheap and immensely popular supermarkets; there's one at Bulwell in the place of the old Woolworth's and also a huge one at Bulwell. Apart from an immense one in Barnsley I do not know if there are others across the country.

PS: They are well stocked on most things including a decent gardening section.

Thanks Mick, nearest one to me is in Canterbury, 20 miles away................but I'll search it out next time SWMBO & goodself are with the Archbish' & his SWMWHD (She Who Must Watch His Drinks)

I love B&M Bargains, I reckon it's the best of the cheap supermarkets.

They've got branches in Hucknall, Ilkeston, Sutton and Mansfield

As regards mushy peas, I like the sound of jacksons recipe, I must give it a try.

I've tried a few tinned brands, Batchelors seem to have too much colouring, Crosse & Blackwell (in Asda) aren't bad and Harry Ramsdens are often so thick you have to thin them with water before you can warm them up.

Do they ship

Only water

Incidentally, B and M sell some cracking cheap fishing tackle and bait. (Some rubbish tackle too,) I got a load of floats, three different sets of pre tied hook/traces (5 in each, for Pike) two bags of Boilies, a bag of flavoured corn, a bag of Halibut pellets and two bags of Hemp seed for a tenner !!

In my local tackle shop it would have been around the 35 quid mark

Try the Mayfower Curry Sauce (it is powder when you buy it) from B & M - tastes just like Chinese chip shop sauce.

I cook mushy peas in a pressure cooker - loads at a time and freeze them.

"Our" greengrocer on Alfred St Central,\snip\

Did you ever know Monica Chandler from your area. I forget the name of her street but it was off Alfred St Central.

Hi Compo, unfortunately the name rings no bells, and there was no Family of that name on Comyn street when we were there.

PS: Your garden is almost as good as mine, at least whilst it's under 2 feet of snow! You have done an amazing job, and I regret I have to say that I am guilty of the sin of coveting your garden!