• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

Or a slab of spam 1/2" thick and fried in good batter

That's a spam fritter but its what I thought of straight away when the word "fritter" was mentioned. We used to have them for school dinners at Mapperley Plains (now demolished, boooooo!). School dinners weren't that bad looking back. And they always gave you more. Sometimes had thirds!

• Upvote 2

Just love Spam Fritters with HP sauce on the side

You can have an entire meal, main course and sweets a'la fritter here

Ordering Potato fritters down under will depend on which part of the country you are in, sometimes called potato cakes or scallops.

Pineapple fritters, a slice of tinned pineapple in batter

Banana fritters a whole banana in batter

Dagwood dogs, a Frankfurter in batter.

Not seen that Scottish staple here yet "fried Mars bars" or the like.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Potato Fritters are known as scallps in Merseyside. Also 'Specials' in some parts.

Can recommend a jam sarni dipped in batter and deep fried. Favourite pudding for afters down the Medders in the '50's.

Alison

• Upvote 1

Never had mushy peas from the market. Used to have them from Goose Fair when they came in little porcelain bowls and there was an enamel bucket full of mint sauce on the counter. As I recall back then (50's ) there was little else on offer.

Would appreciate anyone's recipe for a good Pea and Ham soup. Mum used to make it with a 'ham hock' (They call 'em 'shanks' up here in Merseyside)

Think she soaked the shank to get rid of salt.. Then she boiled it and kept the stock. She'd take all the meat off it, add an onion (maybe a carrot too? Not sure)

and finally a pack of dried peas she'd had soaking overnight. She used to get those boxes of peas that came with a white 'bicarb' tablet and a green colouring tablet which I think were put in during soaking.

End result was the consistency of decent porridge and would stick to your ribs like all good comfort food should. :)

But when I tried it it never came out right.

Col

I make a pea and ham soup in the pressure cooker, soak ham hock to remove the salt or wash under running water for a while, place in pressure cooker with onion, carrot, potato a liter of water or chicken stock and a cup of split green peas.

You can adjust the quantities according to how much you require, I blast it up to full pressure then give it 15mins and switch off and allow to cool with lid on.

When cool remove meat from bones and grisle etc. adjust seasoning according to saltiness of hock and bring back to simmer then serve, if too thin, thicken with a little flour or corn flour and serve with crusty bread. If too stodgy add a little more water.

Our hocks here in oz are generally smoked so give a nice smokey flavour.

• Upvote 1

yes col............Ham Hock 2/6.......LB of loose Peas 1/- ........so for 3/6 some right good Nottingham grub,......................and by the way col. that tablet was called a 'Steeper'..............

• Upvote 1

Dj360. #159

This is how I used to make it.....soak ham hock overnight in cold water,soak dried peas overnight as well.

Next day ,rinse ham,place in a large pan and bring to the boil,then turn heat down and simmer about two hrs.Take hock out of pan(save the stock)strip all the meat from the bone.Now put the rinsed peas,ham,an onion,couple of carrots.Simmer till peas are soft and mushy and the stock has reduced by about half.Do not add salt,there will still be a bit remaining in the stock,you can add pepper if liked.i never used green colouring.Some like a couple of potatoes added with the carrots(it thickens it a bit) ...and that's it ,it takes quite a while to make,but you can freeze any left overs.My husband used to like brown sauce stirred into it.

• Upvote 2

Spot on 'crankypig' and the brown sauce had to be HP.........Although i know some poor people used Beetop.......lol............my Grandma used the same method with a 'Pigs Head'..........and us kids had to gnaw' on the bleddy thing..........truly Cranky days.............

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

If you go to New Zealand you can tell the Fish and Chip shops run by British ex pats as they tend to be the only ones that sell mushy peas - so do they count as an export? Mind you the fish is Hoki not Cod

• 10 months later...

Tim #165: There was a chippy in Port Stanley, Falkland Is. When I lived there.  Mushy peas were usually available but the fish was blue mullet or sometimes hake and not nearly as nice as cod.

Well it just emphasises their continued and everlasting appeal Michael. 

I still love pie, mash and mushy peas and thick gravy once in a while.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...