Why is it that Victoria Market is the only place (that I know of) on Earth that serves just mushy peas?

AND - Why is it that good mushy peas can only be obtained in, and around, Nottingham?

Enquiring minds want to know!

!hungry!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

The wife and I used to have lunch at Touch of Britain in Sacramento California, we would have fish, chips and mushy peas.

• Upvote 1
The wife and I used to have lunch at Touch of Britain in Sacramento California, we would have fish, chips and mushy peas.

We can get them over in Windsor - they just aren't the same!

My eldest sister has lived in Calgary, Alberta for the last 10 years.

The first thing she does when visiting Notts is to go directly to vic market for mushy peas & mint sauce.

That's before seeing the family...

nice to see she's got her priorities right...!

The first thing she does when visiting Notts is to go directly to vic market for mushy peas & mint sauce.

The stall is now a shell of what it used to be. :(

It's recently been bought out and seems to have died a death.

Even I don't go there anymore thumbsdown

Ayup Limey,

As I remember it they always tasted best from the goose fair

Rog

Ayup Rog:

Now you've done it! Spot on! I'm going to have to get Mary over there for Goose Fair one of these days.

Even I don't go there anymore thumbsdown

Have Eric Dickinson's family sold up?

Some of them were there last autumn time......

Great shame if that top Nottingham attraction has gone down the Swan'

Cheers

Robt P.

Even I don't go there anymore  thumbsdown

Have Eric Dickinson's family sold up?

Some of them were there last autumn time......

Great shame if that top Nottingham attraction has gone down the Swan'

Cheers

Robt P.

Couple of guys in baseball caps last couple of times I visited (recently) and no sign of the past patrons. Whole new approach to service, prices and food available.

IMHO - crap.

• 5 years later...

Nottingham just wasn't the same without a mushy pea stall!

Actually, I made some last week - and they keep very well in the freezer!

I'm looking for a source of marrowfat peas to grow in my garden, they make the best mushy peas..

I just used dried peas I found at my local supermarket. They worked very well and taste exactly right!

Some things are hard to find down here being a very rural community. I will take a look around Walmart on Saturday for dried peas, but not seen any in the local stores so far.

There is a "Heritage" seed market gardener near Mansfield to the north of West Plains, I may check their site out for marrowfat peas, they are supposed to make the best mushy peas after drying...

no cat fan they mite have them but they often out of tins and dont aste the same some are good though had some good ones at georges in toten on tuesday teatime after visiting friends in coalville.

ericwent trough market square on monday ther was a mushy pea stall on the christmas market did not try them though was in a hurry.

Yes, we saw the pea stall in Market Square the other week - but did not sample them!

I used to work at the coal mine in Coalville (Snibston) - and now it's a museum!

I love mushy peas! Yumm! With fresh mint as i dont have mint sauce in, i make me own. Love going for some peas in vic market when christmas shopping, a lovely festive treat. Most chippies sell em, but its getting decent peas thats the problem, we had chippy tea the other night, had to fight the earge of using my peas as bullets, rock solid in a green gloop.... nice.

• 3 weeks later...