Oh my god ! Chicken and mushroom Pukka pie, chips on a tray with mushy peas on top ! loads of salt and vinegar.

Makin me mouth water now bu99er !

My wife still makes mushy peas though here in oz, buy the dried peas, soak overnight with a pinch of bicarb, and boil up, beautiful.

Down side though they do have a f*rt factor and me being a gassy type of person anyway, say no more!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

I have wasted most of my life enjoying it Stu! Oh dear, how sad, never mind :) And to Banjo 48 I say: the 'Phart phactor' is a bonus NOT a downside! <snigger>

When i was pregnant, one of my cravings where mini sausage rolls, smothered in mushy peas and left to go soggy before eating!! In that time i came to learn what mushy pea's were good... Tescos own are nice, Morrisons come 2nd, but asda's own i found to resemble watery snot! I find Lidl's to be alright too.

Dried peas: 500g for 69p in Tesco (cheaper elsewhere) and for that you can make a huge panful!

I remember me mum trying to make those, she bought a frozen bag of mushy pea's... they turned out like bullets, nowt mushy about em!! But at least we had a good giggle at dinner time

I'm talking about dried peas Pixie. They come in either a bag or box. You soak them in water and the enclosed steeping tablet overnight and then boil until as mushy as you want them. Serve in a bowl with salt, pepper, vinegar and mint sauce - yummy scrummy!

I'm talking about dried peas Pixie. They come in either a bag or box. You soak them in water and the enclosed steeping tablet overnight and then boil until as mushy as you want them. Serve in a bowl with salt, pepper, vinegar and mint sauce - yummy scrummy!

Marrowfat peas are the best, use the tablet but also add tablespoon of Bi-carb', that makes them 'louder', if there's enough of you eating them you could do a version of the 'floral dance' ( brass band version) ............................ :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Daft as it sounds , I find Morrisons own (14p a tin) are pretty tastey. Great when we have some of their different pies too.

\snip\ use the tablet but also add tablespoon of Bi-carb', that makes them 'louder',\snip\

Noted! :)

You soak them in water and the enclosed steeping tablet overnight and then boil until as mushy as you want them.

AND you can divide them up into portion sizes, stick 'em in a plastic bag and freeze them!

Morrison's also make superb meat and tater pasties.

I love their meat and tatty pies, deffonately my favourite pie.

Tommorow i will be useing my last box of real Batchelors peas not quick soak the overnight soakers

As i got voted to do Fish & chips for New years dindins.

I bought two packs in Tesco last week - now awaiting processing over here!

When suffering with a temperature, go to bed with a showercap full of frozen peas on your head. When you awake in the morning you will have a cap full of mushy peas for your breakfast :)

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

"Our" greengrocer on Alfred St Central, Mr Gell, used to soak dried marrowfats and sell them by the pint. You took your own basin and he measured them out using a pint beer mug with handle.

I didn't get the taste for mushy peas until I was about 16, but then made up for lost time. When we were first married my regular job on a Saturday evening was to steep a packet of dried peas ready for boiling on Sunday with the roast and Yorkshire pud! (Other veg were available!)

:biggrin: Not bragging but I make perfect mushy peas:

1 Give dried peas and steeping tablet an overnight soaking.

2 Next day, discard water and add fresh.

3 Add little salt and pepper.

4 Bring to the boil, then simmer for a short while, then bring to the boil again, then simmer for a short while.

5 Turn power off and allow peas to cook on the heated hotplate.

6 Taste (you may wish to add extra seasoning) and check if peas are tender (if not, apply (4) again).

7 You may wish to add freshly chopped mint to dish.

Delicious; Enjoy. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Did a search at the supermarket & found cans of Bachelors bought all they had 10 . They are better than nowt.