Comyn Street is the one I was looking for. Chandler. Definitely there in 1962-67. Forgotten the number. I fancied her like crazy and one day she agreed to a date. Alasa, I waited by the Lions in vain - her mother put her foot down and grounded her for the entire weekend due to someone having been molested nearby. I never got another shot :(

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all this about mushy peas & benjamin with his recent fish & chips made me succumb to the pleasure of fast food today. Called at the old "sando's" chippy in Bulwell & took home chi

I used to work Central Division back in the good old days and the Lace Market was one of the beats. During the winter cold nights, I believe it was the Belvedere that used to serve the mushy peas and

Hey, i got a job at goose fair selling mushy peas, a tanner a tub , eat as many as you like the stall holder told me , well i did and spent thursday night sitting on our outside loo , that put me off

Morning Compo, that's a coincidence! However, we left Comyn St in 1954/5 and although I visited regularly to see relations, didn't get to know anyone then who were younger.

I assume that despite your disappointment of being stood up it was not you who indulged in the molestation!

It certainly was not me! :) Unfortunately, I was very cross at being stood up and by the time her friend got around to telling me the reason for standing me up it was a bit late :( If only she had said!

Went to pick up a date in Bestwood once. Mother answered the door and said she had gone out...So I stayed for a coffee and made 'friends' with Mother...

An interesting night... :wub:

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

BUMP!

Oooh, it's the first time I've done that, it was quite exciting!

I thought I'd bump this thread because with all the total saturation coverage about Mandela, I'm losing the will to live too!

Anyway, the best bargain at the moment is 4 tins of Smedley's Mushy Peas in Poundworld, for a pound!!

A bit watery but not at all bad!

• Upvote 1

Peas puddin 'ot,

Peas puddin cold

Peas puddin the the pot

Nine days old.

Read somewhere aeons ago that peas were the staple food for most of the UK poor in past centuries. That's before 'taters was discovered, and when venison was rarely on the menu unless it was road kill? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm talking about dried peas Pixie. They come in either a bag or box. You soak them in water and the enclosed steeping tablet overnight and then boil until as mushy as you want them. Serve in a bowl with salt, pepper, vinegar and mint sauce - yummy scrummy!

I often do that with the dried peas. I bought a box full when I was last in Nottingham from a Polish shop on the Green. Food of the gods.

Hi all

If ever you go to Germany do not mention Mushy Peas as according to my brother who lives there its a swear word. So just be care full.

:biggrin: Hi Paulus, B&M's are extremely cheap and immensely popular supermarkets; there's one at Bulwell in the place of the old Woolworth's and also a huge one at Bulwell. Apart from an immense one in Barnsley I do not know if there are others across the country.

PS: They are well stocked on most things including a decent gardening section.

There has been one in Donny for a couple of years.

One thing I've never understood about peas is why you can get a bag of frozen peas for less than a quid, all frozen and shelled and packed, but if you want a few peas in pods they cost a fortune and you have to pay for the pods that you throw away. Who can explain that one?

\snip\

Read somewhere aeons ago that peas were the staple food for most of the UK poor in past centuries. That's before 'taters was discovered, and when venison was rarely on the menu unless it was road kill? :)

I currently have a freezer shelf stocked with roadkill Roe Deer from up the road. Yummy, scrummy!

• Upvote 1

The same ones that were 10p a tin in May...and when I called two days later were reduced further to 8p a tin.

The same ones that were 10p a tin in May...and when I called two days later were reduced further to 8p a tin.

Yes but read the ingredients.

Many of the cheap ones have mint flavouring included, which is fine for some meals but not if you want them with fish & chips!

If you don't want the wait of soaking dried peas and then cooking them, i buy the frozen ready soaked mushy peas from Morrisons, i cook two bags at a time, let them go cold in the pan and then freeze them in individual portions, either in containers or bits of cling film, if you freeze them in cling film, put them in a dish to microwave from frozen as the cling film will burn you when you open it. They freeze really well, you may have to add a drop of water because they go thick, Wallah, nearly as good as the Ode Central Market Pea Stall.

• Upvote 1

Those cheap Aldi ones weren't minted...just peas....I bought cases of them...They don't look like peas,more like a green blob off Startrek. But then for 8p a can it's a wonder they didn't ask for the cans back.

I bought them for my livestock...they like 'em...I doubt I would.

• 1 month later...

I reckon the best I ever tasted wer' in Central Market, bottom end in the fish market.

As a kid I couldnt stand to go to the fish market as the smell was too bad. I do remember peas from a stall there.

As for progress, a place like the Central market would now be a major plus for the city. It was shortsighted to close the place. The Viccy market could never replace it. I compare what the central market could be now to the likes of Camden Market or Borough Market in Southwark.

Some of my favorite places when I was a kid was the city markets, my old mum used to be a seamstress so we went often looking for that piece if fabric etc. on Saturday mornings.

Loved the old sneinton market and the old central market best though, bustling with life and people.

Later in life we would go to the Vic market, not the same but the mushy peas and a cuppa in one of the cafe's used to be a delight !

I even used to love the fresh fish stalls as they reminded me of the seaside.

I still love markets to this day and where ever we are we seek them out for a bargain or just a pleasant stroll.

Only last Friday evening we went to a farmers market near the Murray river here in oz, had a lovely curry from a nice Indian gentleman, yes we have lots here now, and bought some local cherries and stone fruit.

Finished off with strawberry pancakes and ice cream.

• 8 months later...