Shops etc on Goldsmith Street

I've got a strong feeling that the shop we're thinking of was a tv rental outlet - Granada/Rediffusion/Radio Rentals - before being converted.

I think you're right there, I know it wasnt Redifusion, as mentioned, was elsewhere, Granada is favourite.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's. Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faur

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street. And i fondly remember using both Virgin record

Stu, the site where you got the info about the Virgin shop mentions The Beatles and The Stones making regular appearances at the ABC and The Odeon.

Now, other Nottstalgians correct me if im wrong, (but do post proof here!) The Beatles came to The Odeon once, and The Elizabethan Rooms, at the "Big Coop" on Parliament st, once In fact, my mum sent off a postal order for a ticket for me, for the Odeon gig, which got returned as they had sold out! They also played in Mansfield, but id hardly say made "regular" appearances here!

As far as im aware, and ive just asked Rob Smith too, The Stones never played in Nottingham at all, again, if you can prove me wrong, please do so, but factual proof please!

I suppose the problem of getting info off 'tinternet from sites such as Wikipedia and similar, is that info can be added by anyone, (according to one site, Dale Winton was born in Nottingham, i know personally that isnt true!)

I "think" the Beatles also played at the Theatre Royal.

Stu, the site where you got the info about the Virgin shop mentions The Beatles and The Stones making regular appearances at the ABC and The Odeon.

Now, other Nottstalgians correct me if im wrong, (but do post proof here!) The Beatles came to The Odeon once, and The Elizabethan Rooms, at the "Big Coop" on Parliament st, once In fact, my mum sent off a postal order for a ticket for me, for the Odeon gig, which got returned as they had sold out! They also played in Mansfield, but id hardly say made "regular" appearances here!

As far as im aware, and ive just asked Rob Smith too, The Stones never played in Nottingham at all, again, if you can prove me wrong, please do so, but factual proof please!

I suppose the problem of getting info off 'tinternet from sites such as Wikipedia and similar, is that info can be added by anyone, (according to one site, Dale Winton was born in Nottingham, i know personally that isnt true!)

The Beatles played the 'Rainbow Rooms' These were also CoOp owned and were / are on George street or Broad Street,they played on a regular basis in 1963/4

My (late) Aunty Pat was a big big fan, having first come across them in their early days in Hamburg whilst she was in the RAF

When she died I inherited her Beatles memorabilia,this included old posters and ticket stubs (Which I sold at a 'Beatles Memorablia buy in ' that was held at 'The George' in about 1995 ,I got Ā£300 for them

I also inherited 2 albums 'Please Please me' and 'With the Beatles' both of these are original pressings and on gold labels,the guy at the buy in offered me Ā£300 for these alone but I politely declined as I knew there true value (About Ā£2000 at the time) they are my pension fund!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The record shop at No 21 was not Hindley's it was Bradley's.

During the late 70s there were, believe it or not, six tv rental shops on Clumber Street - which shows what a profitable business it was back then.

They were: Wigfall's, Visionhire, Radio Rentals, Granada and Multi-Broadcast.

Now, other Nottstalgians correct me if im wrong, (but do post proof here!) The Beatles came to The Odeon once,Ā  and The Elizabethan Rooms, at the "Big Coop" on Parliament st, onceĀ  In fact,Ā  my mum sent off a postal order for a ticket for me,Ā  for the Odeon gig, which got returned as they had sold out!Ā  They also played in Mansfield, but id hardly say made "regular" appearances here!

Are you contesting that due to the fact some sites are undeniably unreliable for pure facts, that the arrest of the Nottingham Virgin boss in 1977 is in question too, Craig? Therefore that Virgin didn't exist in Nottingham before the 1980s' as you stated?

smile2

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street.

And i fondly remember using both Virgin record shops like yesterday - also liked the small record shop on wheeler gate called Texas records .

• Like 1

Now, other Nottstalgians correct me if im wrong, (but do post proof here!) The Beatles came to The Odeon once,Ā  and The Elizabethan Rooms, at the "Big Coop" on Parliament st, onceĀ  In fact,Ā  my mum sent off a postal order for a ticket for me,Ā  for the Odeon gig, which got returned as they had sold out!Ā Ā  They also played in Mansfield, but id hardly say made "regular" appearances here!

Are you contesting that due to the fact some sites are undeniably unreliable for pure facts, that the arrest of the Nottingham Virgin boss in 1977 is in question too, Craig? Therefore that Virgin didn't exist in Nottingham before the 1980s' as you stated?

smile2

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street.

Stu, no im not. As i said if i see it in confirmed black and white print, i will gladly admit to being wrong, if someone can actually scan the 76 phone entry, no prob.

Re the Beatlles, i did say " correct me if im wrong"..carry on.

And i fondly remember using both Virgin record shops like yesterday - also liked the small record shop on wheeler gate called Texas records .

I loved that little Virgin store on King Street, Red. I guess it was the sort of music I used to buy in there that gives me such fond memories. I was working up Carlton Road at the time and would finish early on Friday afternoon and nip in every week with an unopened wage packet. Still have the vinyl I bought in that Virgin store to this day. I recall the downstairs room which was quite small and had all the Punk/New Wave 45's in at the time. I was buying stuff like The Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, Television, Tom Petty etc.

It was a really exciting time for music and it just 'my' era - young, single, gigging and collecting records, that kind of stuff. Funnily enough I never quite got into the Clumber Street one as I did the King Street Virgin. Somehow the latter was more intimate and 'special' at the time. I guess it was a time when there was a big revolution going off in popular music and that was all part of it.

That Texas store rings a bell mate. Just whereabouts on Wheeler Gate would that have been?

Hi Bamber,re Hindleys on Clumber st.I'm talking of the late 50s early 60s not the 70s,I used to buy my records there.

But can you prove it? I'll need to see something in B&W preferably authenticated by a notary public. ;)

Ok boys, listen up!!!! I Humbly Apologise, as promised, because ive finally found ONE person, in my circle of friends etc, that can actually remember Virgin on King st, and Clumber st.

Strange thing is, that despite a lot of them being dj's, and record shop owners ( Rob Smith to name but one, ) none of them could remember Virgin on either street, other than where it is now (just like me, and indeed Virgins longest serving employee in Nottm.)

So there we are, the apology as promised, i was wrong, however, im still not convinced the Stones ever did any gigs in Nottingham!

I know i was, and mostly sourced from Arcade Records, West End Arcade, Kev and Paul Thomas, Kevin, i "inherited " when i first Joined Trent, to do the import section of my show.

Bought most of my stuff in Arcade Records, spent a bloody fortune in there.

Got paid Ā£30 for a night at the Arriba and probably spent Ā£15 on records a week; net result after beer and taxis, -Ā£5 why did we do it eh?

• 1 month later...

Back to Goldsmith Street and the surrounding locality. Can anyone remember along Upper Parliament Street across from the Co-op a gent's barbers called 'John Cornell's?'

I remember it was always advertised on the big screen at the cinema before the films as a local add. It was a large place up the stairs near the end of the road.

Back to Goldsmith Street and the surrounding locality. Can anyone remember along Upper Parliament Street across from the Co-op a gent's barbers called 'John Cornell's?'

I remember it was always advertised on the big screen at the cinema before the films as a local add. It was a large place up the stairs near the end of the road.

I used to get my hair cut there cos( they must have told the girls to do it) the birds used to rub their crotches against your shoulder while they were cutting your hair

I have a mate who always goes to a particular hairdressers in Arnold for the same reason. I see the appeal. :-)

John Cornell's always looked like a bit of a groovy place to go and get sheared. The adds always seemed to show lot's of 'dolly birds' in them. Only went there once and was slightly too young to receive the full service.

Not sure if its that same place towards the maid marion way end up some stairs possably about where Kismit Kabab house is now , if its the same place it was called Rons or Ronnies or even Sonnys in the early 80s , did a wicked feather cut , you came out looking like one of the bay city rollers .