Shops etc on Goldsmith Street

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's. Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faur

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street. And i fondly remember using both Virgin record

I'll Leave It had a woman who worked in there with a curly perm dyed green! She also worked Mansfield Market. I too remember Mates, and also Wakefields but does anyone have any recollection of Anne Aston which was on the parade of shops opposite the clock tower side of the Vic Centre. Her boutique was upstairs and had lots of glass panels. I had a Jeff Banks 3 piece suit from there and various other bits and bobs. The Tokenhouse used to be up Tokenhouse Yard (I think) off Bridlesmith Gate. I remember the lovely owner sitting with her hand sewing machine making little things to sell. There was also a shop on Bridlesmith Gate called ' Peru' and who could forget 'Boogaloo' which was on the corner opposite Waterstones (Moulton Brown now I think).

Etam was next door to where Schuh was on Long Row, you had to go downstairs to get your Trevira Suit! Susyshoes - I had totally forgotten about Chelsea Girl in the Vic Centre, do you remember Miss Selfridge opening in there? It was one of the first shops to open in the Vic Centre and was where Next is now, also Lord John for the gentlemen.

...but does anyone have any recollection of Anne Aston which was on the parade of shops opposite the clock tower side of the Vic Centre. Her boutique was upstairs and had lots of glass panels.

That rang a bell! Yes I remember that alright. Would have been around about where TK Max is now, somewhere around there? Think there was some kind of opening ceremony with Anne?

but does anyone have any recollection of Anne Aston which was on the parade of shops opposite the clock tower side of the Vic Centre. Her boutique was upstairs and had lots of glass panels.

Does that name have any connection with Anne Aston who used to be one of the hostesses on 'The Golden Shot"? She was famously the one who couldn't add up the scores

Yes, It was where TK Maxx is now - upstairs, very glamourous and stylish! Ms Aston indeed couldn't do sums and her shop didn't last too long so possibly there was a link there! When she opened it lots of press turned up, I was lurking at the back trying to get noticed in my Chelsea Girl outfit and platforms from Dolcis.

I do remember Madcap - thanks for that hippo girl, and also Ralph's the fur shop opposite The Bentinck. All of my memories of the 70's are boutique related! I used to parade myself in The Babel on Huntingdon street with a Cinzano and lemonade thinking I was totally fabulous, usually covered in glitter with a dyed bit of fringe courtesy of my Mothers food colouring box! I do remember the Intercon also - a fantastic venue, wore my best Bus Stop outfits down there. I'm still hoping someone can put a name to the other boutique on Goldsmith Street - the one next to Paraphernalia which began with a G.

If anyone else is clothing obsessed and wants to PM please do so - I can name every single outfit I ever purchased complete with accessories, shoes and hats etc!

Nirvana Market anyone? On Pelham st, down an alley and up some dodgy staircase. Men playing sitars and lots of tye dye, pottery, barefeet and 'fungi'. Used to trot up there in my school uniform in the very early 70's. Near where Roxy Threads was I think

Can you remember a shop ( upstairs in Vic center )...had no doors ( once the shutters were up )...same side as jessops but a little nearer the first set of stairs ...sold loadsa 'hip' clothes ( around the mid 70's ) ..wasnt there long tho....( i remember its name ...but who else can ) ??

B;imey i think i;ve just asked exactly the same question as you but in the 'Birdcage' thread. spooky

Etam was next door to where Schuh was on Long Row, you had to go downstairs to get your Trevira Suit! Susyshoes - I had totally forgotten about Chelsea Girl in the Vic Centre, do you remember Miss Selfridge opening in there? It was one of the first shops to open in the Vic Centre and was where Next is now, also Lord John for the gentlemen.

Yes , I do remember Miss Selfridge opening in Vic Centre. Could never find anything i really liked in there tho! I remember Wallis being opposite M&S. It used to be much more 'trendy' than it is now as i was probably 18 or 19 when i shopped in there, and it had some lovely stuff in but it seems to be for the more mature lady now lol. Bought an awful denim trouser suit from Jeanettes on Queen Street once, about 1973. And once owned some dark and light purple loons, but i dont think they were bought locally. There was a shop in Hucknall called 'Two Foot Swell', its where jacksons barbers is now on the corner of Derbyshire lane and central avenue. They sold some really modern stuff for a small mining town at the time. frank Jacksons(the current owner) wife at the time owned it and spent a fortune on having a hand painted window that must have cost a fortune. It stood for a couple of months until a car crashed into it. she was devestated. it was replaced with plain glass.

I also had some purple loons which I was spotted in the Market Square during my hippy moment wearing with a cow bell round my neck! I had no shoes on - yuk. Mine came from 'Trend' in Jessops, Mother bought them for me as she deemed them as sensible. Cow bells on strings were a popular item sold at Goose Fair that year so I decided to wear mine with my loons, I had just been into Selectadisc and was carrying a bag with Wishbones Ashes latest. I'd seen them at the Boat/Britt/Union. When I got home that night the cow bell was removed and chucked in the bin by my Father - I looked a right twit.

I know exactly the type of denim suit, I saw them in the window at Jeanettes, but never managed to get one. You're right - Wallis was dead trendy but not really any more. I don't think I've ever really shopped in Hucknall, hear it could all be pedestrianised. Another area ruined.

I still have the yellow comb I bought in Miss Selfridge on the day it opened, went in my school uniform.

"Chelsea girl" was a 'pervs playground'. We used to use it as a short cut to the 39/72 bus stop on Milton Street , if you remember it had those low "Wild West Saloon" style doors to the changing rooms!!

And no ladies , they didn't hide a thing . ......................................................... slywink

Beefsteak - thats so funny! Those saloon style doors were a nightmare for teenage girls, they were wrong on many levels: the gap between the 2 doors, the slats of wood and also the gap at the bottom and the top - might just as well have tried on in the middle of the shop! The communal ones are also vile. I'm blushing with horror, I thought all of the boys were boyfriends of girls getting changed. I was dead jealous. But it was you and your mates walking slowly through!

hahahah yes of course, i'd forgotten about those saloon doors, and the fact that you could walk thru to Milton Street. And cow bells, gosh yes i remember my mum wouldnt buy me one so i bought a budgie bell instead from the local pet shop, I kid you not!! It was silver and about and eighth of the size of the cow bell but i thought it was cool. Can you remember wearing blouses with long bellowing sleevers and huge cuffs, under a short sleeved jumper so the sleeves were sort of pulled in at the elbow and then ballooned out? And panda collars.

Gorilla arms Sue! Mine came from Etam and was red it had a really long panda collar and cuffs with 3 buttons, I had a little red short sleeved jumper and a red skirt - all red, how horrible! I also had a couple of tank tops from Chelsea Girl. One had a number 1 on it and the other 999 - for whatever reason.

I'm killing myself at the thought of you going into a pet shop and buying a budgie bell, my cowbell was really heavy - the budgie bell was a better idea! Did you ever buy in Richards? I think it was on Wheeler gate.

'Richards shops'. I might have done but that would have been in the late 70s, clothes werent so much fun then. I remember buying a silver skirt and blouse (urrgh) - I think from Bus Stop when they were closing down (cant be sure) but it must have been around 1977 ish. I wore it to a party and my best mates boyfriend said i looked like an oven ready chicken!! never wore that one again. I also bought a green suede zip up coat from Etams. It was skin tight and came to my knees, I once wore a pair of green wide leg trousers under it and brown 3 inch platform shoes. I looked like a blade of grass!!!

Wasnt there once a story about Chelsea Girl on Wheeler Gate having to be closed for a while because the place was flea infested? Or was that just gossip?

My recollection is that in the 1970's, it was "The Empire Billiard Hall" owned by Elston & Hopkin.

There were also some shops further along, on Goldsmith between Trent University Maudslay building and the corner with Shakespeare Street.

I recall a post office on that corner, and also a newsagents shop run by a Keith Price - a staircase within that shop comes to mind. There were a few other shops along there, and also some houses.

Keith Pric e newsagent was the 1st job i ever had when i left school

does anyone have any recollection of Anne Aston which was on the parade of shops opposite the clock tower side of the Vic Centre

I remember Anne Aston (she of the Golden Shot) having a shop on Milton Street but always thought it was the one that sold rather posh kitchens.

• 3 years later...

Do you remember the guesthouse on Goldmsmith St? Last building on say -the college side. Saw Peter otoole and many others using it, further up was Rileys billiard hall; they used to pull a gate across the doorway at night! between Brentnalls and Watmoughs you could cut through to Burton st. facing Robin Hood milk bar. Question: why did it take so long to build on the empire site - it was a rubble "wackered" car park all through my childhood.