Shops etc on Goldsmith Street

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's. Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faur

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street. And i fondly remember using both Virgin record

At the bottom end of Goldsmith street (now the stage door) were 2 boutiques. One was called Paraphernalia, and the other was called something beginning with G. They were unique little shops with lovely window displays. Does anyone remember Razzamatazz on Trent Bridge which is now a vacant lettings shop? Also Image which is now Savills round the corner from Bridlesmith Gate? I bought Ossie Clarke and Radley dresses from downstairs in Image. Bus Stop on The Poultry and Chelsea Girl all took most of my spending money! There was also a cafe called The Rainbow on Chapel Bar? It was a very short lived little place probably 72 - 73 and very avant garde when compared with The Kardomah! Love to hear your fashion stories and revelations about boutiques-gone-by!

I remember Paraphernalia and its owner Paraphernalia Pete.

Lots of folk thought his stuff more interesting than that sold at The Birdcage or Paul Smith's.

Anyway time clearly showed this not to be true!!!

• 1 month later...

In an earlier post, I recall Craig Strongman referring to Joes Cafe on Wollaton Street and I remember often frequenting this establishment between 1976~1978 while doing my HNC at the Poly.

You mentioned that Joe was deaf, and it now all makes sense now as to the way he used to pass the order from the counter to the kitchen(was it his wife in there?). I certainly used to make his life difficult when I asked for baked beans instead of peas!

• 1 year later...

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faure. He was a lovely chap, getting on in years but very unlike the dentist I'd previously seen on Gregory Boulevard who was probably trained by a certain bloke named Mengele!

Ā 

I needed a filling, so went to Mr Faure but, by then, he was a bit doddery and the injection he gave me hurt like hell. His hands were not too steady. He retired shortly afterwards and I see that be died in 1978. With a name like Faure, he must have had French ancestry but I see he was a Nottinghamian born in 1901.I would imagine the house where he practised is long gone.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 21/09/2016 at 6:56 PM, ptmike said:

you forgot the hairdressers Hair by Him run by Keith Williamson and his big white dogĀ 

Early/mid '70's there was a Hair by Him on Hucknall Road just up from the NatWest Bank on the Mansfield Road junction. Had my Afro perm there. Next to H by H was a DIY shop very badly run by Sheila Noke who had two psychotic Great Danes. She used to feed them on the leftovers from the Grosvenor Steak Bar. I think she used to feed herself with these as well, she never had any money.

• Upvote 1

I remember Pennyfeathers very well. It was situated in an old terraced house with an oval sign hanging outside. They had a motley collection of ladies retro clothing, much of it 1940s or older. Used to enjoy a rummage round there. I suspect the house no longer exists.

• Like 1

Not so much a shop on Goldsmith St but a brothel. I did my "A" levels at what was then the Technical CollegeĀ  - called a Conference Centre now apparently but, anyway, there was a row of three- or four-storey terraced houses that could be seen very clearly from the third (and upwards) floors of the college. This place had a light outside and the curtains of the various rooms were always changing from open to closed to open again at all times of the day and which was timed correspondingly to the entrance and exit of various male (I presume) clients. I can't quite place the building on Google SV now, it may have gone to make way for more conventional educational purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's.

Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's.

Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

The Guildhall was a good pub. I used to go in there at lunchtime for a half and a cheese roll when IĀ was working in the office. They had a niceĀ dining areaĀ atĀ the back. I also used the Spread Eagle just round the corner. They hadĀ a good selection of rolls spread out on trestle tables.Ā 

The Spread Eagle became our next fixture after the Guildhall Tavern lost its attraction.Ā 

The beer was always good, and the atmosphere upstairs in the cocktail bar was phenomenal. Crikey, they had some money out of me !

11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Such a shame. All these buildings destroyed and what have we gained in their place? Tat, mainly. No character or elegance.Ā 

The daytime TV buy-to-let crowd snap up villas like these nowadays and convert them to flats/HMOs.Ā 

Goldsmithst area had contrasts of good and bad in the 60s. In 1960 my friend's sister lived in a room in a large villa near Waverly terrace. For one adult and 2 children she had one large rented 1st floor room with a curtain dividing off the sleeping area, old grubby furniture, a Belfast sink in the corner. A shared bathroom/toilet was on the landing, the other end of the landing was a shared gas cooker in a grotty grease encrusted state with a small table as a work surface. I couldn't fathom how people had to live thus. The 50s kitchen sink dramas couldn't begin to convey the atmosphere of gloom in there.

In 63 I did a job in a similar private dwelling occupied by one very old person on Peel st across the road. That place was stuck in a middle class Victorian timewarp. Heavy velvet curtains, brass bucket with aspidistra, big old fireplace plush three piece and modest chandeliers, it was like something in a TV costume drama. Perhaps the old person owned the sub standard housing across the road being let to single mothers.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, Frank Johnson said:

Shops on Goldsmith St. Anyone out there who remembers Jack Bretnalls, the music shop. Bought my first jumbo guitar from there. Cost me nearly a month's wages in 1971!!

Ā 

They moved to the top of Alfreton Road - not a patch on the old shop on Goldsmith Street