Shops etc on Goldsmith Street

To be absolutely correct it was Ron's International Hairstyles. They used to have those b&w pictures of model hairstyles on the walls and copies of Titbits and Autocar in the waiting area..

I don't recall a John Collier (the window to watch) in that part of town but there was a hairdressers in the building above Caplin's called John Alan.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's. Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faur

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street. And i fondly remember using both Virgin record

You're right Red - it's 'Ron's I'm thinking of, just where you say.

So where did I get John Cornell's from?

I used to go to Rons in the mid 60's to get my mod regulation "french crew cut!"

I used to go there also. Got fed up with Charlies at the top of Aspley Lane, next to the beer off.

That was back then in the old days when I used to have hair of course :biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...
Sign Of 4. Yep, i remember that one, and wasnt there Rileys snooker hall too?

My recollection is that in the 1970's, it was "The Empire Billiard Hall" owned by Elston & Hopkin.

There were also some shops further along, on Goldsmith between Trent University Maudslay building and the corner with Shakespeare Street.

I recall a post office on that corner, and also a newsagents shop run by a Keith Price - a staircase within that shop comes to mind. There were a few other shops along there, and also some houses.

My dentist was down there as you got to the junction of Shakespeare st, very near to the post office, did that turn into a cafe of some sort?

I think the post office premises did subsequently become a cafe. Some of the houses along there had been turned into commercial premises. The dentists, if I recall correctly, were in one of those and called Wood & Vint or something like that. I believe they moved to Talbot Street where their successors still are. I also remember a shop that was in the front room of one of the houses called "Pennyfeathers" selling (I think) clothes.

The dentists... called Wood & Vint

Thanks John

Coincidentally I worked in the 80's & 90's with Jamie Vint, his son.

Last heard of Jamie was running a pub somewhere?

Maid Marion at Arnold rings a bell?

To be pedantic, it was Vint Wood dental associates! And Bill Vint was my dentist, and i believe his mum in law was a receptionist there too.

Bill was a gentle dentist, who always wore soft soled shoes, so that when he stood on your chest, pliers in hand ready to yank a tooth, it didnt hurt so much!!!

I agree about Pennyfeathers, do i recall properly a Penny Farthing design used somewhere in their shop logo?

One thing that springs to mind, i used to park on Golsmith st, but it was limited, so i started to use the road next to the graveyard (fill its name in please) and because it was a narrow ish one, used to park slightly on the pavement, did this for a long time, and then one day got a ticket for obstruction, which i disputed, on the grounds that i had been doing it for so long, why was it suddenly a problem? I won!!!

At this point can i remind/ask anyone of their memories of The L Shaped room, the restaurant place?

At this point can i remind/ask anyone of their memories of The L Shaped room, the restaurant place?

I remember it Craig, was it on the left somewhere when leaving the city?

Whats there now?

Never been in though

Always confused it with THe Elbow Cafe, Mansfield Rd (is that still there)

Oh yes brought back another memory. The Bamboo Cafe, opposite side of Mansfield Road.

One thing that springs to mind, i used to park on Golsmith st, but it was limited, so i started to use the road next to the graveyard (fill its name in please) and because it was a narrow ish one, used to park slightly on the pavement, did this for a long time, and then one day got a ticket for obstruction, which i disputed, on the grounds that i had been doing it for so long, why was it suddenly a problem? I won!!!

Clarendon Street

Thats it Beefy! Thanks, Mick, its all Uni buildings down there now where it used to be.

Isnt it funny, i go up and down Mansfield Rd numerous times a week, but i couldnt say if The Elbow Cafe is there still!

As for The Bamboo, that was a coffee bar, i remember my auntie taking me in many times.

The Elbow cafe was demolished to make way for the student accomodation which one can plainly see from the bar of the Poacher :biggrin:

Sadly, the bamboo is also no longer.

That sounds much more like Cromwell Street - which is very narrow.

Does anyone remember the very large slogan that was painted on the cemetery's Waverley Street wall? It was there throughout the 1960s and 70s. It said

C******X MUST GO VOTE LABOUR

Hi Craig

Wondered if someone would mention the L shaped room I used to go there quite regularly and the Bamboo, wasn't old enough to go in the pubs then. Can anyone remember the Guildhall Tavern?

Val

Bamber, it was definitely Clarendon St, and Val, I was only saying to someone the other day, having paid Ā£2 for a coffee in Wollaton Park, I remember going into the L shaped Room, and a bloke had ordered a T bone steak, for 10/6 ! One quarter the price of a flipping drink nowadays!

Not sure if ive posted this before, but it involves The L Shaped Room, it was in 1966, and a guy i knew who played in a local band, and who went on to play with Roxy Music, asked if i could lend him some records to play at at The L Shaped, in between them doing the live bit.

As he'd loaned me an amplifier to link up to my Elpico record player (anyone remember them?) I didnt hesitate, so loaned him a stack of soul and motown singles, EP's and LP's some really rare stuff there too............and guess what.....he claims they all got stolen!

• 1 month later...
How the hell could i forget Selectadisc?!?! I used to spend most of my hard earned in there, and knew all the staff,from Brian Selby (owner) down

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Brian Selby who opened Selectadisc in 1966 and has owned it ever since, has recently decided to retire and are now under new ownership. Ex-employee, Phil Barton, who took over the London shop (now trading as Sister Ray) a few years ago, is now running Selectadisc with existing manager Jim Cooke. The shop on Market Street will be converted into one unit, with two trading floors stocking the same wide range of genres on CD and vinyl, hopefully by the end of March.

Not a patch on tyhe basement at Arkwright Street.

There was a box on the counter, withy soul singles 3 for Ā£1.

Still got many classics in my collection from that very box.

Not a patch on tyhe basement at Arkwright Street.

There was a box on the counter, withy soul singles 3 for Ā£1.

Still got many classics in my collection from that very box.

Well Mr Selby would have owned it then , be a sad day when its gone

• 10 months later...

The first property on the right is The New Taj Mahal, where I started my addiction for curry! Just magnified the pic up a bit, and can now see posters on the restaurants windows, so it must have already closed, awaiting demolition.

The space to its right was where I used to work, it was called Nottingham Tape Recorders, or NTR, I was actually there after it had become Executive Audio.

Selectadisc is the shop in black, and Ace Record and book store is on the end. Spent a lot of time there looking at the ....erm.....records!