This may come as a bit of a shock , but I'm pretty sure that I read some where that Nott'm wasn't founded on the Trent but infact on the Leen , as the Vikings boats were able to navigate shallow waters as well as the sea. so it did get a few boats up there at least. And let us not also forget that it's course at the foot of 'Castle Rock ' was used for defence !

(Or de river!!)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

youre not wrong Ian, Nottingham did/does stand on the river Leen, the Trent came along Nottinghams southern border

the Leen in the old days was navigable but because of the build up of silt finally got shallower and narrower and the faster flowing Trent carried most of the silts away therefore making the Trent more navigable

Rog

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Katyjay. Just noticed your mention of a wallpaper shop in Bulwell belonging to relatives of yours. My mother often mentioned once staying with people who owned a wallpaper shop there...and she pointed it out to me on several occasions. This was when she was a child. I think they were relatives of her aunt by marriage whose maiden name was Gladys Page. Does this ring any bells?

Had some good nights on Alfreton road..........from 60s to 90s.........Spread Eagle always full of characters in 60s,and much later saw some sights coming down the 'Poles' when it was a 'Lap dancing venue'.........Used to frequent the Queens' corner of Forest rd in 80s again lots of diverse characters,then across the road to the 'Taj Mahal' bloke called Ali ? ran it back then,great food,then end up in the 'Windmill' where the Gay barman 'Steve' was always entertaining 'a real amusing bloke'..........and never saw any bother............and back in the 60s worked down there at Farrands or Marsdens,just a bit higher up from 'Horace Rogers' the motor bike/scooter place............so again another Nottingham road with lots of memories.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember the kho I nor  restaurant in the late fifties went to a Christmas dinner there as a teenager and found my self sat next to Peter Butterworth of the carry on films  and down at the bottom near bobbers mill opposite the le grand pub was a night club in one of the buildings upstairs think it was blue lias or orchid something like that the building is a white building next to the supermarket  meeowed

The white building next to the current supermarket opposite what was the Capitol Cinema, housed a cafe on the left of the archway, and the Capitol Fisheries chippy on the right. The club spanning the two was the Capitol Social Club. This would be late 50's till the mid 60's. 

That's it exactly Cliff. My mum owned the cafe on the left, and dad the chippy on the right. 

That brings back memories. England's the grocers, Caterall the butchers, Mrs Green at the library cum toyshop, Hobson the chemist, Mr Searcey, electrical repairs, Parisienne Fashions, Capitol Shoe Repairs, the Coop, Carrott's the mini supermarket, a hairdressing salon, newsagent and dry cleaners at the far end.

I grew up with those shops and it doesn't seem so long ago!

I remember Wendy and Alan Green. Also the Towlson kids from the sweet shop to the right of the Capitol. Hilary and Peter I reckon. The beer off with Simon, the gay assistant. 

The builders merchant up the back of the yard, but I can't remember the name. 

• Upvote 1

The little garage cum filling station adjacent to Le Grande. Always got paraffin from there. 

Yes, we knew the Towlson family, whose original shop was on the corner of Bobbers Mill Road and Alfreton Road in my mother's childhood.Mrs Towlson was a teacher and Mr Towlson was ex RAF. How could I forget the beer off. When I was a child, they had a sign in the window which said "loose sherry".  It conjured up a picture in my mind of sherry running all over the shop because it wasn't kept in a bottle! Funny, the things you remember.

On the other side of the road there was the Streamline School of Motoring, Norman Hurstfield's grocery shop and the Sunshine cafe above it which was patronised by Player's workers at lunch time. There was also a barber's shop with the traditional red and white pole outside and I believe, before the Streamline School of Motoring opened, their premises was a hairdressing salon.

#43. I did hear once that the Club in that building was run by an old classmate of mine - Brian Austin. And what was his claim to fame? - he gave me the nickname Chulla.

The shop at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Rd was I believe Nix's Hardware Store. I don't recollect Towlsons ever being there Jill, but I could be mistaken.