Also mentioned in other postings were Trolly Buses and Poles coming off the wires and going through that Bank Window.

Here is the Bank in safer times, July 2004. Obviously the bank could not stand the high cost of window replacement and has moved on. There is now a different type of bank there.

post-11-1089406043_thumb.jpg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

And here is one of the many watering holes on the famous Alfreton Road Pub Crawl, The Generous Briton (taken July 2004).

What are your memories of the Alfreton Road Pubs?

post-11-1089406525_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And to think if you started at Canning Circus and had half a pint in every pub on Alfreton Road all the way to the Nags Head you were thought of as a hardened drinker....lol

Tried it once or twice meself....

Nowadays you'd be taking yer life in yer hands if you ventured into most of the pubs there...

In the 70's. The pubs were safe to go into, particularly on a Friday or Saturday Nights, because there was usually a Bobby (with pint in hand) somewhere in the premises. The only panic that ever occurred was when the Superintendent & Chief Inspector walked in. Fortunately, there was a pretty good early warning system in operation. :D

Likewise the aforementioned Senior Officers would check out that the pubs were not dispensing intoxicants after the allotted time. They were always dissapointed to find the people who were still in the pubs, lacking in the necessary imbibement. ;)

This was probably due to the very same early warning system, rather than the law abiding landlords of the time ;)

• 4 months later...

:D In the early 60s, 63 to 1970 i worked for Imperial Tobacco half way down Alfreton rd, in those early days i worked from 8-5 we had a dinner break between 1-2 and most days if i didn't go to me mums for me dinner i would take a walk up Alfreton rd weather permitting all the way to Canning circus stopping off sometimes for a little libation, even thou i was under age i was never refused a drink. :o

:D I remember one dinner break my mate and i walked up to Canning circus and went into The Falcon, we ordered two pints of Bitter, in this small room that we were in their was a darts board hanging over a fire place which had a rawing fire in, at that time i fancied myself as a decent darts player and my mate Alan fancied himself too as a budding News of the World Champion LOL, so i asked the bar person if i could borrow the house darts, yes no problem, well these darts were not quit what i was use to, Plastic Flights. I know what you are thinking a darts player not having his own darts on him, my mate had his but he wasen't going to lend his to me, that's how it was, he played darts more often than i did.

Well everything started ok, he was scoring 80s and over and i was not doing to bad with these plastic flighted darts, we were having a good time in fact, until it happened every dart players nightmare well mine at any rate, one of the darts that i had just thrown hit a wire and bounce out, not bouncing from whence it came but down, straight down into that fire in the fireplace, as i looked in amazment at what had just happening my mate burst out laughing, the bar person came to see what was all the noise about, well the look on his or her face said it all, i offered to pay for another set of plastic flights, but was told that these things happen specially over this fire place quit offten.. As you have guessed i have never been back in that pub since it happened over 30 years ago.............

I am sure I remember a Spread Eagle?

Further up from the Alma Inn on Bentinck Road junction.

Went through to the road that runs parallel with Alfreton Road,

from Bentinck Road, back to Alfreton Road. Was that Peveril Street?

:D bamber Posted on Dec 17 2004, 03:03 PM

I think you mean The Falcon. The Spread Eagle was on Goldsmiith Street.

:D Yes you are probably right bamber, but it was a long time ago, never the less it's still a bird of prey. LOL Looking at the photo of the Falcon if you go throu the red door the room was on the left if my memory serves me right, i will have to pay it another visit just to see if it has changed much and to see if that fire is still their..Cheers bamber :D

post-11-1103326211_thumb.jpg

B) No Ilko, the deed as you put it was done at the Falcon canning Circus. They say that if you drink alot the alcohol kills your brain cells..it was a long time ago and SWMBO says my memory is not what it use to be....well that's the excuse i use when i forget her birthday, wedding anniversary, christmas card.. LOL

:o You know Ilko i have never been in their, passed it many a time on my way up to canning circus, been in the one below it the Alma but not that one..strange that..

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old topic but it is interesting. This was posted when you were all behaving yourselves and BIP was not so strange.

In one of the photos you have the pub Generous Brittain on the corner of Newdigate Street and Alfreton Road, on the right hand side of the road was where I first started work in 1959. The factory was called G T Hussey and they made high class outerwear. It was strange to see the name after all these years but interesting to read you posts.

The Spread, as I have said before was run by Eddie Cartwright and the Alma was run by the Dobnys.

The Indian Resteraunt was called the Koh-I-Nor and went through on to Peveril Street.

Accross Alfreton Road was The Curry House, a great place to eat. Now I believe this has been replaced by a KFC.

A

Friends Spot on Tuts. I wish i could remember things that well.

Friends When was i normal Tuts, i'd forgotten that time. Friends strange that.. crazy

I know this is thread highjacking, but a comment on the early warning system in pubs by Mick.

I used to be a part time barman at the Sir Richard Arkwright on Arkwright Street for a couple of years. Wednesday night, I used to be left in charge while the boss and his lady had a night out. no1 rule was after 10-40PM kick the buggers out, anyone who wouldn't go, get on the phone to the law and get them out.

Problem was, the law was the problem!!! I usually had problems with several CID officers and senior uniformed officers after closing time wanting another pint!!

The boss always told me to say NO in no uncertain terms and to lay the law down to these errant officers!!! crazy crazy

• 2 years later...

Accross Alfreton Road was The Curry House, a great place to eat. Now I believe this has been replaced by a KFC.

Was it the Taj Mahal run by an Asian guy with bold head who started wearing an badly fitted wig ? next door was a dead cheep shoe shop Eric's

There is more about Nottingham indian eatery's here... http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2390

The place that used to be where KFC is now, might have been Purple Elephant

It was certainly run by a guy called Miah (who also owned a place on Arkwright Street).

I went to Trent Bridge School with his son David.

The place that used to be where KFC is now, might have been Purple Elephant

It was certainly run by a guy called Miah (who also owned a place on Arkwright Street).

The place on Arkwright street I beleive went by the same name [Purple Elephant] that's where I and the wife had our first curry ever.

Bip.

• 8 months later...

Do you have a date for this address? If you do, you need to look at an old map of Nottingham for that time. I personally have never heard of it and I went up and down Alfreton Rd for many years. I can't think it was anything to do with water as I can't remember any waterways running alongside it. That's not to say there wasn't at one time. An old map will sort it out for you.

Actually I got that a bit around my neck, it should be "Bobbers mill wharf" on Alfreton road, the date is 1881.

I've got this from the 1881 census which lists my grandfather living at "Bobbers mill wharf Alfreton road", wharf can also be the name of a loading area/bay for coal which ties in as my grandfather was a miner.

I will have a check of the old maps

Cheers

Martyn

And a pit I beleive at the bottom of Prospect street where houses are now with the river lean runs through.

Bip.

• 2 years later...

a bit of a late reply, but as regards poohbears reply I'm not too sure re wharves on The Leen? Don't know what the water level was back in the 1920's but doubt anyway near deep enough for boats? apart from the odd floods of course and in any case where would The Leen have took any boats?

My memories of the Leen at Bulwell Bogs and Billy Bacon's, and behind my aunt and uncles wallpaper shop, were of a river a few inches deep. Was it like that everywhere the river ran?