Fly2, if you went upstairs at Capitol Shoe Reps, walter did ladies heels mainly upstairs, the glue he used to fix material to the heel was very potent, forget Es LSD etc, one whiff of that stuff and you were a happy chappy all day.

those shops opposite the Grande, didn't realise at the time, how dependant they were on Players workers, it was after they closed the players factories that they went into decline, i think

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, terence12 said:

those shops opposite the Grande, didn't realise at the time, how dependant they were on Players workers, it was after they closed the players factories that they went into decline, i think

I agree, and I think you could say that applies to the whole of Radford, not just those shops.  The decline started when Players left.

Yes Terrance, we had loads of Players workers in the choppy at lunchtime . Also several in the cafe at teatime. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a nostalgic 20 minutes reading through this thread. This area was my home ground as I was born just off Churchfield Lane in the mid 1950's. Lived there until early 1970's when we moved to a new house at Lenton but I moved back to a flat above Hutchins hairdressers on Radford Boulevard next door to Wealthalls green grocers mid 70's. Work took me away for a few years but I bought a house a Truro Crescent in 81 where I remained until 2000. Jill sparrow mention Margaret Beardsall who was in my class at Berridge right through. Sue Freeston lived on Truro a few doors away. I think she's still in the area on Grimston maybe. My dad was big buddies with Mr Towson who had the corner shop on the corner of Churchfield Lane with Glentworth Road. They always went to Notts County matches together and I got dragged along too. Put me off football for life. Would this be the same Tolson mentioned elswhere? My dad bought Mr Towlson Morris 1000 that we had for years. I won't go over everything else mentioned other than its all very familiar.  I used to get parrafin from the corner of Bobbers Mill Road. I seem to recall another shop where we occasionally got paraffin which was on the corner of Churchfield Lane with Radford Grove Lane a small hardware type shop. The Stork club was where I got my early education on female anatomy as they had posters round the back of the coming attractions. It was a strip club then. They always had little bows or rosettes coving their breasts which was a source of disappointment to us local boys. Been to FLY's family clippy many times.

• Upvote 1

Used to have my hair done at Hutchings! Howard Hutchings was a brilliant hairdresser, especially handling very long hair, as I had then. He wasn't your typical male coiffeur. Very macho, did a lot of cussing over the amount of tresses I had. Dressed my hair in a double French pleat once for a wedding, complete with pill box hat. Did such a good job I couldn't disentangle it for several days! Howard's mother ran the salon and his sister also worked there. Who could forget Scobie the dog, who used to sit under the hooded hairdryer?

:rolleyes:

You're right Jill. Not a typical ladies hairdresser. It was a good flat. Quite big but very cold in winter. I recall a strange incident there. I happened to be outside the shop stood at the edge of the road waiting to cross. A lorry pulled up and as it waited to move off the engine was really loud and the big plate glass window in Hutchings stated rattling as they sometime do. The frequency of the lorry engine must have been in tune with the window as it started to really rattle. I remember wondering what the hell was happening and looked back at the shop window and it was vibrating, leaping in and out about 6 inches or more just a blur. Suddenly it shattered. Howard ran out assuming he was under attack and I was able to explain what had happened. Did you know any of the Flint family from Glentworth Road Jill. Jane, Karen or Sue. 

• Upvote 1

I lived at 4 Truro Cres letsavagoo, from about mid 50's till 63.

Perkins at 3. Mrs Steadman at 4. Pownalls at 5. Fish family at 6 I believe, great days.

Jane Flint was at Berridge with me but in the year above. When I moved up to the juniors, our year was overcrowded and 6 of those considered the brightest children were sent up one year so I was in the same class as Jane Flint, taught by Mrs Price who was lovely. I've got the class photo with both of us on it. I could have a word with my mate Catfan and perhaps post it!

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS a forum name. Perhaps you could pm me with your name she would know if you prefer to not post here. I was 2 years above Jane and still have the program for the Berridge Christmas play, Aladdin which has both mine and Jane's names although I didn't know her then. I think it's 1964 or 5. I'll dig it out.

Fly. I was at 7 Truro from 82 to 2000. It was lovely with a big garden with badgers at the back, completely private not overlooked at all. From the back window I looked way over to Wollaton park on the hill and from the front Shippo's Star brewery and out as far as Bestwood Lodge and beyond. Fred and Molly Fish were next door to me at no 8. I had many chats with mr Perkins who apparently moved in when the houses were built in 1938/9. I remember him telling me he stood at his front gate one evening when 3 German planes flew over really low. Pete Freestone and family lived at the 1st house on the left so no 1 I think and the other side of me at No 6 was Bill and Jean Eaton. Bill was the care taker at my old school, Forest Fields although it was called something else by then. Bill was lovely, a nicer man you wouldn't meet. Spent many happy hours sitting out the back with him, smoking and putting the world to rights. Bill had brothers who were a well know Radford/Hyson Green family. One brother, Stan was a local window cleaner. I found some photos taken in the back garden before I lived there and you can see the head stocks of Radford pit in the background.

I had an accident and had to change job and we made the decision to move out to the Country. Happy days there though. The best.

• Upvote 4

Yes, we had a big garden at no4. With it being on the round bit at the end, we got far more garden than those on the straight bits. Wonderful.

Jane possibly wouldn't remember my name because we were only in the same class for one year but my forum name is my real name! She'll remember people such as Jennifer Dench, Jill Maddern, Susan Wilkie, Elaine Johnson. They are all on the photo which I've emailed to Catfan who has kindly offered to post when he gets time. There is also one of my final year at Berridge with Susan Freestone on it.

The Dench family lived on Newquay Avenue.

You mention a window cleaner who lived locally. Ours lived on Fretwell Street. Little chap with lots of children. Always cheerful. Cleaned our windows for years. Don't remember his name. Could it be the same person?

This area was lovely when I was a child and also during my mother's childhood was full of high class shops and people who scrubbed and polished the outside of their properties. To them, in that day and age, it was a reflection of the person who lived there. Once it started to go down hill, the decline was rapid. I've not visited the area for years but I prefer to remember it as it once was. Even in the so called slum areas of Nottingham which were cleared in the 60s and 70s, most people took more pride in their environment. Very sad.  :(

I was going to post that I moved away as the area had gone down hill but actually changed my post. I didn't want to offend anyone who may still live there. My father in law still lives on Newquay Avenue. It has sadly declined greatly in the last 20 years or so. I well recall walking to school and seeing woman on their knees scrubbing the front step and the clanking of galvanised buckets. I think we all know what's gone wrong but political correctness prevents me from saying it here. A great shame.

• Upvote 1

I remember my mother telling me that her next door neighbour came round and scrubbed the steps for her when mum suffered a miscarriage and had to rest. It was a ritual that everyone scrubbed their steps once a week unless indisposed. We had friends who lived on Lynmouth Crescent and they moved in the early 80s, afraid of what was happening to the area. Sadly, their fears turned out to be true.

Letsavagoo, I remember there being a sweet shop/tobacconist on the right hand side of Alfreton Road, travelling towards town, just after the Bentinck school crossroads. It had a green fascia and the name FLINT'S across it. I always thought this was in some way connected with Jane FLINT'S family...or have I imagined that?

No, you're spot on. Flints shop was Janes grandparents. It was as you say near the corner with Eric's shoe shop next door. With Players so close it was a gold mine. They originated from Immingham where they had run a B and B or hostel for railway workers, I'm not sure exactly. Jane lived above the shop with her parents until they could afford to get a place of their own on Glentworth Road. Her grandparents chain smoked being In a newsagents and both died within a few days of each other quite young in their early 60's from smoking related problems.

I've a couple of pics of the shop but can't post as I don't use a suitable hosting site. I've asked Jane and she doesn't recall you. We'll look at the school picture when it arrives. Can you remember Shirley Wilkinson. Jane still speaks to her on the phone regularly. In fact they've been on tonight. We both know the other girls you mentioned. I went to Denches house on Lynmouth one night when I was about 15 and got drunk as a lord raiding her dads cocktail cabinet. Fell in the house at home and got a right bollocking. Wasn't the last time time but I left home more or less at 16. I knew her brother. Elaine Johnson I knew as she knocked around with Jane and Sylvia Pizaro. I went out with Sylvia for a while. 

• Upvote 1

Hey, I haven't got Alzheimer's after all! My memory is pretty good for useless details and I always associated that shop with Jane.

I remember Shirley Wilkinson, she's on the photo, along with Stephen Eccles, Michael Chomyn, Zena Marshall and others. In fact, on the photo, I'm sitting on one side of Jane and Jill Maddern is on the other side.

My mum went to Berridge with Percy Maddern, Jill's father. Apparently all the girls were after Percy!

I would love to see your school photos, David, as I was friends with Margaret Beardsall for ages. Like you, uploading images is outside my comfort zone but Catfan is brilliant at these things and has been an enormous help.

Last I heard, Jennifer Dench had gone into politics. I believe it's not long ago that her mother passed on.

I'll get my school photos out when I get chance. I'm really busy at the moment, involved in transcribing all the letters my grandfather wrote home from ww1. I have a deadline as its all part of a larger project but I'll get to it. Technically I'm very good on the computer, I've built many and fix them for everyone round here but just don't bother with photbucket etc. If you pm me an email address I'll send them accross to you. Janes got a few of hers too. You might be on one but as we've only got a few we borrowed from Wilco and scanned so it's not a certainty.  I've got every single year from infants right through. 

On 24 October 2016 at 8:07 AM, FLY2 said:

I lived at 4 Truro Cres letsavagoo, from about mid 50's till 63.

Perkins at 3. Mrs Steadman at 4. Pownalls at 5. Fish family at 6 I believe, great days.

I've just realised that during my time at Truro Crescent your old place was occupied by Mr and Mrs Baron. We knew them as they previously lived on Glentworth Road a few doors away from my wife's family. Mr Baron passed away last year but his wife is still there. Never knew the name of the woman at number 5 but we always referred to her as 'lipstick' as she always sported bright crimson lips.

If I'm not mistaken, that who my parents sold it to. I loved the very large detached garage. Plenty of room. 

• 10 months later...

This is 1937, not long after the Capitol cinema had been built (the building with two horizontal white stripes). Newquay Avenue down the side appears to be only partially complete.

wzbRBnz.jpg

Go back a few years earlier and there are big empty spaces everywhere. The white houses on Churchfield Lane stand out.

NsZf4vX.jpg

• Like 2

Very interesting photos, CT. The white houses on the left side of Churchfield Lane would have been built in the late 20s. I knew the Breedon family who lived in one of them. Their daughter was at Berridge.

The 1937 shot is curious. The grassy space of the earlier photo is now being developed. As a child, I remember a seat and small garden area surrounded by a chain link fence there. It was a place for veterans of the Great War to sit and chat, my grandfather among them. They spoke of things they wouldn't discuss with anyone else. Newquay Avenue is still to be completed, Lynmouth Crescent not even started and Truro Crescent would come much later.

Also noticed cows in the fields, bottom right. Mum remembered the cows going up Bobbers Mill Road twice a day to be milked. Where they went to, I don't know!

Nice to be able to see the area as my grandparents knew it. Thanks for sharing them with us!

A couple of great photos, thanks for posting Cliff Ton. I haven't seen these before. They are very reliant for me. The first in the centre about 2 thirds up shows the lolly pop shaped excavation that became Truro Crescent off Newquay Avenue. I lived on Truro for 20 years. I recall when I moved there one of the neighbours, a Mr Perkins who have moved there when his house was new told me he remembered looking up at a roar in the sky and saw three German bombers going  my house which had scaffolding up still being built. The second just about shows the house where I was born namely Grimston Road which can be seen parallel at the very top. My house was to the right at the Churchfield Lane end. When I was a boy the next door neighbour, Mr Mayfield used to say when he moved in he could cross Churchfield Lane and it was all fields way out to Sellars Wood and beyond. I thought he was barmy and wish I paid more attention.

• Upvote 1