• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My mum also remembered Churchfield Lane when it was just fields, letsavagoo. She also recalled cows being herded up Bobbers Mill Road to be milked twice a day in her childhood, 1930s!

Thanks Jill. Top right in the 1937 I'm pretty sure is Radford pit. You can see people walking at the side of the Leen to or from it. I may be wrong but I think the cows are in fact horses. The resolution is poor but certainly look more horse like to me. Horses would still be common for carts etc, maybe even to do with the pit. Lynmouth is partly built on the later picture.

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2004 at 3:03 PM, bamber said:

I think you mean The Falcon. The Spread Eagle was on Goldsmiith Street.

The spread eagle was also on Alfreton road half way between bentinck road and the bank on the corner of peverilst and alfreton rd our family lived three doors down from this pub we used to watch the fights outside at closing time from our bedroom window.

On 17/12/2004 at 5:09 PM, admin said:

I am sure I remember a Spread Eagle?  Further up from the Alma Inn on Bentinck Road junction.  Went through to the road that runs parallel with Alfreton Road, from Bentinck Road, back to Alfreton Road. Was that Peveril Street?

You are correct we lived on Alfreton road three doors down from the spread the landlord at the time was eddy cartwright then the hansons took over it then passed to Melvyn Hanson who had a break down when his daughter got pregnant whilst at school.

• 3 months later...

Among my mothers papers I have found three newspaper cuttings showing photographs of Alfreton Rd.

They are far too faded to photograph but may still be in NEP archives.

Photo #1 dated Mar 25th 1980 is of the Midlands Bank at the top of Peveril St. A robbery had taken place £2500 at gun point.

Photo #2 dated Mar 18th 1980 shows Spread Eagle and Bentink Rd Shool. Re built areas where Independent St and Bovil St used to be. Also Beals Factory on Peveril St gone.

Photo #3 dated March 21st 1980 shows new built Clifford Court with Forest Rd junction with Alfreton Rd (Queens Hotel) in the back ground.

Mam obviously saved these cuttings because 90% of our large family lived in that area.

I was hoping that CT or someone had access to these photographs?

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Among my mothers papers I have found three newspaper cuttings showing photographs of Alfreton Rd.

They are far too faded to photograph but may still be in NEP archives..

I was hoping that CT or someone had access to these photographs?

The online news archives for the EP only go up to 1950s so may be difficult . May need a trip to view microfiche of later copies at the archives office 

Me too ! Tri-ang oo gauge !

Ian - I could not use the Moulders or Marquis, or any local when I was a teenager. Too many family and neighbours used them. I went dahn tahn to the  Bell or Thurland Hall (men only bar) and a few more Worthington and Bass pubs. I always reckoned that they were better beers than Shippo's and Home Breweries. Can't remember what the Bell served but it was a meeting place rather than a drinking place for me.

• Like 1
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:23 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Used to have my hair done at Hutchings! Howard Hutchings was a brilliant hairdresser, especially handling very long hair, as I had then. He wasn't your typical male coiffeur. Very macho, did a lot of cussing over the amount of tresses I had. Dressed my hair in a double French pleat once for a wedding, complete with pill box hat. Did such a good job I couldn't disentangle it for several days! Howard's mother ran the salon and his sister also worked there. Who could forget Scobie the dog, who used to sit under the hooded hairdryer?

:rolleyes:

Worked with Howard teaching Hairdressing at Hucknall FE on Duke st which was part of Basford Hall Collage and now NCN, Lesley his sister also came to teach with us, if I remember Howard sold the salon to one of our students. He used to live off Nabbs lane Hucknall and Lesley lived in Nuthall  Lesley had a bad riding accident and used to have problems with her back, it is year's now since I've seen either of them, but your right Howard was a good hairdresser. One more thing while teaching Health and Safety to show how hair lacquer was flammable he had a blow touch lit and sprayed lacquer on to it, not the thing to do at collage, but it did teach the students about Health and Safety.

• Like 1

Small world, Mary! I liked Howard and he was one of the few people I've ever met who could be creative with long hair. A girl called Diane Handfield also worked at the Salon. She was the older sister of Jane Handfield who was my contemporary at Berridge. The family lived in Darley Avenue.

I lived in the flat above Hutchings hairdressers just after I was married 1974 for a year or so. Only one decent size bedroom but generally the flat was quite big and really very nice. Terrific spot to look out the front window after the pubs turned out and watch the entertainment. Plenty of heated arguments and the odd fight. The only drawback was Hutchings dog. They used to let it out to poo in the yard and for some reason It liked to balance itself and mess on the outside stairway. You had to watch your step and check the feet of visitors. It really was a nuisance.

Howard still likes his dogs last time I worked with him round about 70s/80s he went all the way to Scotland for a certain breed can't remember what breed it was though. Did Diane have long hair as I seem to recall a student with same name,?

• Like 1

Ah I know the Irish attitude to problems.

Back in the 60s I left EMgas having completed my finals and the first job I got was in the ROI . Ardumman Hall (spelling) between Letterkenny and Ramelton right on the side of lough Swilly.

An old mansion house that had been allowed to run down, we had 6 months to convert it to a hotel, the owner also ran some milking beast which was great fun. Then a few months after I left the troubles started.

Had a great 6 months though

cows.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Anyone recall The Pelican pub on Pelican street? It closed in 1958 but the name was transferred to Catfan Country,Bracebridge Drive- Bilborough 1962.

Not personally, but my great great grandad - and his son my great grandad - lived on Pelican Street in the 1880s, approximately opposite The Pelican pub. 

• Like 1

I worked near the top of Alfreton Road facing my work place was a Pawn Brokers, also going back towards the city were two pubs one was on a corner of the right hand side can't recall the name of this pub  the other was near the top of Alfreton road  I think it was called the white horse (its still there) also further down Alfreton road was a pot and glass shop the owner was a Mrs Oakland she had quite a lot of knowledge about Nottingham shops she knew Mr Spalding who was part owner of Griffins & Spalding's

Elaine  who I worked with at Barbara Chapmans  salon,  mum used to work at Jersey Kapwood's  (spelling not sure) which used to make cloths for M/S factory! now gone! and made into a car park, but the chimney was left for some reason still standing (maybe they could not get hold of Fred Dibbner who used to blow up chimneys for a living) the chimney has just been pulled down but the factory went about 10 years ago.

• Like 1
On 03/02/2018 at 6:43 PM, mary1947 said:

Did Diane have long hair as I seem to recall a student with same name,?

Yes, Mary, I think she did. Diane was around my sister's age, born 1950. I think they were at Peveril together.

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

the other was near the top of Alfreton road  I think it was called the white horse (its still there) also further down

Pub is Running Horse and yes it is still there. Never seems to be able to make its mind up whether to open or not.