5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

, but the chimney was left for some reason still standing (maybe they could not get hold of Fred Dibbner who used to blow up chimneys for a living) the chimney has just been pulled down but the factory went about 10 years ago.

Just for the record, Fred didn't blow up chimneys, he couldn't get an explosive certificate, so he used to fell them using a rather crude method. Or if space was at a premium, would take them down, piecemeal. And yes, I've worked on that stack too.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

That might have been a one off,overseen by someone who had a explosives license, but Fred never had a license. His method of felling stack's might have been more cost effective, but believe me, it is not the most reliable method!. Did he ever mention the ones that went wrong?

8 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Pub is Running Horse and yes it is still there. Never seems to be able to make its mind up whether to open or not.

The Pianoman can you remember the name of the other pub? it was across the road from the Running horse and about 50 yds down Alfreton road on a corner, I can  remember one Christmas after we left work we called in for a drink but can't remember what it was called or even if it's still there. Can you thow any light on the subject Pianoman.

I seem to think that the Rose and Crown came just before the pub I'm on about but I could be wrong. thanks for reply.

There is a pub opposite side of the road to Running Horse and a bit further down that seems to have all its windows bricked up. Would that be the Rose & Crown?

That looked rather derelict last time I went past. Riding on buses has its advantages - you get time to notice things instead of having to look where you are going!

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/profile/2144-radfodlad/

This mentions the yard. The pub is a 50s style. I'm fairly certain it replaced an older building of the same name. 

Edit, that yard apparently was Pownalls.

Another edit. That link is a bit round the houses. The thread is called Nottingham Scrapyards Pownalls.

(I wish it were simple to link in this website.)

• Upvote 1

I think I can see what WW is referring to. Alleyway to the side of the pub.

On 21/07/2009 at 0:40 AM, Radfodlad said:

I have childhood memories of one of Pownall's collection points. I cannot call it a scrap yard, as I only remember it as a place where you took clothing/material etc and getting a couple of Pennies for it.  It was situated on Alfreton Road, virtually opposite the Forest Road junction, to the right of the alleyway that is there now, that leads to the flats, that were not there in those days of course.

Didn't Pownalls have a site near Bath St / Sneinton Market ?

Thanks to member's for posting pubs that I had forgot names of. 

A good photo of the Rose & Crown Cliff thanks for posting, the other pub  was the Organ Grinder which like you say changed its name.

There was also a Jacky Pownalls on St Ann's Well Road but I think there were quite a few brothers and the were all "Rag & Bone" merchants.

58 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

There was also a Jacky Pownalls on St Ann's Well Road but I think there were quite a few brothers and the were all "Rag & Bone" merchants.

It was across the road from my Gran's café, they sold second hand furniture and stuff like that.

• 4 months later...

Ian. The photo was a bit after my time. I left Peveril St in 1955. To see a car parked was a rarety. No trolley bus lines so must have been in the 60's/70's. The people crossing the road were facing my Aunt Min's green grocery shop.Looks like Beals hosiery factory was still there. My late friend Eric Biddulph worked at the Midland bank at the top of Peveril St 1960/65.  His book 'The First Seventy Years' published in 2007 has a lot of every day 'Nottingham'  in it's content and I will bring it to the next meet up for you to pour over.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Painted robins, well follow this link to see what school children are doing for Nottingham. Me I personally think their involvement is great as it will make them appreciate the city and respect their work and others.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/dozens-colourful-book-shaped-benches-1807499

• 2 months later...

Just taken a closer look at Troggs picture of Alfreton Rd. Peveril St is in the middle and I can see our back yard with the hosiery factory on the left.  There were a lot of hosiery factories in the area - three on Peveril St alone. I wonder if the original picture is still available, or higher resolution copies? 

• Like 1