On 10/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, PeverilPeril said:

CT's picture has got me guessing? The trolley bus turning place around the bank looks odd. Did the bus go behind the bank? On previous pictures there were buildings behind the bank. The bank is currently joined up with the shops but it looks like there was a bit of road behind the bank for a few years. In the late 40's early 50's the buses turned in front of the bank.

In answer to PP the trolley bus at the side of midland bank, top of pevril street was in actual fact doing a 'u' turn, having just come up alfreton road from Bentinck road traffic lights. This was a turning point for trollies not going on towards city centre, probably heading back to bulwell depot. Hope this helps, ( I worked on the buses 1962_1966). B.

• Like 1
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

Re- bobbers mill area. The nearest pit would have been Radford colliery.

I can only just remember Radford Colliery. From a certain bed room window in our house, we could see the wheel. My mother, who was born in the same house in 1926, remembered the miners walking home from their shift, covered in coal dust. Before the days of pithead baths, in those days, much of Churchfield Lane was still fields.

When we visited my grandparents on Grimston Road, I remember hearing the sound of steam trains on the line which went alongside Radford Colliery - and past Bobbers Mill.

At that time I wasn't aware of Radford Colliery so I've just looked it up to see if it was even still there in those days. Apparently it merged with Wollaton Colliery (not sure exactly what that would involve) and the combined site closed in 1965.

I once lived in the cul de sac above and left of the Capitol, and could clearly see it, and hear the trains. The Leen runs parallel to the green strip.

10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The building in the lower centre is the Capitol; the Colliery was behind and to the left, now occupied by a bit of green space and a bit of housing. Not sure I'd want to live in one of those houses.

Yes, I can now work out which window I was looking out of as a child.  We had friends who lived on Lynmouth Crescent and the Colliery must have been directly behind their back garden. Often visited them and never realised.  I suppose the whole area is riddled with mine workings.

I had friends on there too Jill. The Whylds, who owned a filling station on Ilkeston Rd near the Loggerheads pub.

A crowd of us would often play in their garden which ran down to the Leen. Yes, we often fell in ! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes Phil.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The ugly 1960s building standing empty for years on Alfreton Road has finally been demolished.

The worst thing is that I think I can remember it being built! :blink:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The worst thing is that I think I can remember it being built! :blink:

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.

Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, but I can remember what was there before they were built.

• Like 5

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.

I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when you know you're old.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I found that out years ago when I was hairdressing. The children's hair I cut when they were tiny grew up and brought their own children in to have their hair cut. It took me by surprise and I would have only been 26/27

You must have started young, nonna ;)

I remember my mum talking about a hairdresser on Alfreton Road, just around the corner from Bobbers Mill Road, in the 1930s. My grandmother was a regular customer there. In later years, the premises became Streamline School of Motoring. I learned to drive with them when I was 17. Now, all the shops have been knocked into one large bathroom/tile showroom.

I worked at Godfrey's on Noel st opposite swimming baths. My boss and all her family ( sisters, brother and father)  . were all hairdressers and fantastic competition winners. 

• 4 months later...