• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Sheree said:

Does anyone remember when Eric’s shoe shop opened? I am sure I remember it being there mid 1960’s.

Can’t give you the definitive answer but my wife’s grandparents had Flints newsagent next door to Eric’s shoe shop. She lived there for the first few years of her life and her grandfather and Eric were best mates going on fishing holidays together so it’s been there since the 1950's but exactly how long before I can’t say but probably since the 1940's.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Vic Clarke said:

Can anyone remember a guy called Ken Clarke, he used to go in the Stork club.

I don’t recall Ken Clarke but in the mid 60's the Stork Club had strip tease shows. We’d sneak through the archway where they had a sandwich board outside featuring the coming attractions. They would never show naked breasts on the posters, always having rosettes or bows covering the nipples but for 10 year old boys it was pretty heady stuff. Later I do know that Terry Doakes owned it as one of my neighbours did his books and for a while a mates dad, Maurice Keeling ex licences of the Le Grand managed it.

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2017 at 10:43 AM, Gilly W said:

The spread eagle was also on Alfreton road half way between bentinck road and the bank on the corner of peverilst and alfreton rd our family lived three doors down from this pub we used to watch the fights outside at closing time from our bedroom window.

Hi, I lived at the Spread Eagle Hotel, Alfreton Road late 50’s to mid 60’s. I remembered the great big lights we had outside the pub on the front which lit the street up.

i recall 2 twins that I think lived next door to the pub.

My Father Edwin Cartwright was the licence there, know to the regulars as Eddy.

My Grandfather, Stan shepherd was the licence at The Marquis of Waterford on Ortzen Street which was just off peveril Street. at about the same time.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/26/2016 at 8:21 AM, letsavagoo said:

I've just realised that during my time at Truro Crescent your old place was occupied by Mr and Mrs Baron. We knew them as they previously lived on Glentworth Road a few doors away from my wife's family. Mr Baron passed away last year but his wife is still there. Never knew the name of the woman at number 5 but we always referred to her as 'lipstick' as she always sported bright crimson lips.

The woman at number 5 could have been Edna, a friend of my mother. She lived a few houses down on Glentworth Road, on the left from Churchfield Lane. The entrance to the back door area was through the alleyway.

If it was Edna her mother's name surname was Kirton. Edna worked as a barmaid at the Windmill. She  met and married a wealthy owner of an engineering company. They mover to Skegness, next to the windmill at Burgh le Marsh.

I think she eventually returned to Glentworth Road in the 60's.

Was the Spread Eagle pub on alffeton Road renamed as the Alma Inn?

Further to Alfreton Road memories does anyone remember a butcher's shop on the left of Alfreton Road somewhere near opposite the Windmill pub? It must have been in the 60's that the son of the owner committed suicide. He was one of a group who used the Red Lion on Nuthall Road. All I remember is that he was tall, slim and with dark hair and had 'everyhing going for him'. He was the last one of the group I would have thought who would to have ended his life this way.

What was the building across from the Alma Inn? When i lived at Nuthall in the 50s and 60s seemed to think it was a school. My grandma and grandad worked at Players in the 50s and my mum and i would meet them for lunch on Hartley rd. at a cafe it was always very busy.

Bentinck Road School, Ian. Built around the same time as Berridge and served as a primary school but perhaps also, at one time, as a senior school.  It is still there and, so far as I know, still operating as a school.

18 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Long shot. I can remember seeing a butcher's shop from my bus journeys from Bobbers mill across town years ago. The name was Rideout. Was it the one on Alfreton Rd?

Edited.

Willow, if the shop was somewhere near Newdigate Street that couls well be the one.

Anyone out there remember Gagg's motorcycle shop? Pownalls's scrap yard next to the Windmill pub?

The Levies and Wrangler jeans's shop at the top of Afreton Road, on the left looking down the road from Canning Circus.

I well remember Jackie Pownalls on Alfreton Road. Just opposite Skills booking office and coach park. As kids we spent lots of time in Pownalls, after first going around collecting rags and stuff. You had to separate the woollens, because you got a better price for that. Used to avoid scrap metal as it were too heavy (unless we found some copper). Also remember Independent Street, with the "Tanner" barber's, an old bloke who only used hand clippers. Always gave you a basin crop. Spent many happy hour outside the Forest Inn, waiting for me mam ! Those places weren't too far from Denton Street, just a walk up Boden Street and turn left. All this would be before I were 11 years old. Alpha, can you remember Horace Rogers, cycle shop?

Except Pownalls, yes. The only Pownalls I remember are the big surplus store on Bath Street and a scrapyard on Trent Lane. I think Gaggs motorcycles are still trading, though not from the same premises.

Pownalls always used to weigh your loot. Payment was so much per pound, wool separate. We're talking pennies here, but to us kids, it were a Kings ransom. I always wondered what they did with those rag mountains. The more unscrupulous ones would lurk in with lead, probably from some roof or somebody's toilet water pipes.

Pownalls on Alfrreton Road was about 200 yards below Boden Street, left side going down. I'm sure of this cos' that's where the 43/44 trolley bus stop was, that I, with my brother used to catch, to visit my gran and Auntie Mabel who lived on Commercial Road. Coming back the bus stop was a few yards up from Forest Road.

Incidentally,  this was the stop where you had to get off, if you caught the 16A from Balloon Wood crossroads. You couldn't ride all the way to City and you couldn't get off and get back on again. But that's another tale.

• Like 1

Bekay is right about Jacky Pownalls. I took scrap in there regularly. My Aunt Min's green grocery shop was just up from Pownalls on the same side. On the opposite side, on the end of Peveril St was Jack Hensons - also a basin cut barber who used hand clippers (ouch). I hated going there as a boy. Cost 3pence in my day.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, my grandparents were landlords of The Windmill Inn, back in the late 1940's early 50's. I have an old photo from that time (before the flats were built behind it) and would love to know when the original Windmill was built. I know it was demolished around the early 1960's. I remember as a 4 year old, watching my aunt cleaning the front step with cardinal red polish. My mum and dad had a beer-off around the corner and we moved to Cromwell St just before I started school at Raleigh St Infants.

Welcome EAS509! I can remember the original Windmill Inn as we often passed it on the bus going into town when I was very young. That part of Alfreton Road was an excellent shopping area in those far off days. Now, it just looks an almighty mess, sadly.

Please do share your memories of life on Cromwell Street from those times.