• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think I'm gerrin owd, I reckon I probably am old.   I have photos of me as a kid with various of my grandparents. I'm now older than my grandparents were in those photos. That's when

I'm increasingly having that problem with a lot of demolition sites around Nottingham.   Broad Marsh bus station and car park have recently gone. Not only can I remember them being built, bu

I married Jane Flint when she was 17 and we've been together now 42 years. Not sure who deserves the medal. Probably her. Thinking about it yes, definitely her. She doesn't recognise your name. Is JS

Posted Images

Always enjoyed Alfreton road.......used to go quite often in the early 80s...........Running Horse...Windmill......Queens and a couple of other Pubs cant remember the names.....

Also had a good Pal who had a grocery store at the Top End.........he looked after several'' ladies of the night'' very early in the morning....with cups of Coffee in the back of the store...and they purchased their 'Nightly needs'' from him........often joined them and they Regaled me with their stories...lovely bunch and very funny............back then Alfreton road was full of real 'Characters''........

This photo recently appeared in another thread, but its natural home should be here. It's the junction of Alfreton Road-Radford Blvd-Gregory Blvd.

SLsRPIh.jpg

The garage is named Westbourne; and on the far right of the photo a lady is about to cross Grimston Road; that could just possibly be my grandma who lived up there.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just take a screenshot, then tidy it up, crop in necessary then postimage it. Must try your tip Kev.    B.

Ref to Benjamin1945  15th Feb

When serving my apprenticeship hairdressing top of Alfreton Rd next to Judes babies shop, we had 2 clients who would come every other day to get there hair styled. One was a Mrs Freetwell who use to bring her 3 year old son with her. The stylist one day ask about her husband, and before she had said a word the little boy jumped in, my dads in prison he said and at night time mum puts a red light in the window bottom to let uncle Joe know that she is free. We never did see Mrs Freetwell again. 

The other client was Vera she had been first in the que with what she had at the top,(Very big boobies)  long black hair which used to be put up in curls. Now blow drying was not done at this time it was all setting, the stylist had just put rollers in Vera's hair and she had been put  under the dryer, a large car, with a very big gent in pulled up outside the salon ans the driver honked his horn, Vera jumped up out of the dryer, pull all her rollers out, then just said ""See you Ladies" and with that she was gone.

• Like 3
On 1/23/2022 at 3:58 PM, Willow wilson said:

Long shot. I can remember seeing a butcher's shop from my bus journeys from Bobbers mill across town years ago. The name was Rideout. Was it the one on Alfreton Rd?

Walter rideout was a was a fishmongers shop when i lived in that area in the mid 60s to mid 70s, it was next door to a butchers albert armitages which was on the corner of alfreton rd & newdigate st opposite to the generous briton pub, there was also a butcher straight across alfreton road from there peels butchers next door to the coop.

No mention of the Orion picture house, which turned into Fine Fare.

Missed my owd 'fleapit. 

Jill i remember the name wardles but like yourself dont remember where it was & bk i think the picture house was already gone in my time but can remember fine fare well used to go in there with my mum & it later became bejam frozen food store.

3 hours ago, RadFordee said:

Walter rideout was a was a fishmongers shop when i lived in that area in the mid 60s to mid 70s, it was next door to a butchers albert armitages which was on the corner of alfreton rd & newdigate st opposite to the generous briton pub, there was also a butcher straight across alfreton road from there peels butchers next door to the coop.

Thanks for the reply Radfordee. We lived at Bobbers Mill, our shopping was done elsewhere, so not fully familiar with all the shops here. Except for one small shop I remember from the 1950s opposite Newdigate street, that was a cobblers shop, I'm guessing the cobbler was in his 60s. My family had all our shoes repaired there for years. Re-heeled with a proper curved fitted steel tip and rubber soles. The single fronted shop was entered on the left and immediately inside on the right was a wooden board partition, painted a dull mustardy brown colour, behind which was the cobbler's humming machinery,  the sound filling the shop. A few paces into the shop the partition gave onto the shop counter on the right. When the door entry bell rang the machinery was switched off and the humming slowly wound down into silence, the cobbler appeared at the counter and shoe business was discussed. All this time there was a sweet aroma of glue, solvents, polish and leather. The collected shoes had been polished and had shiny rubber soles and heels. This service was delivered in a formal and very polite manner. It seems he was dedicated to his skilled trade and business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

No mention of the Orion picture house, which turned into Fine Fare.

Missed my owd 'fleapit. 

It was in the Orion that I had my first feeling for a girl :rolleyes: We were about 11 and a regular ex Windley gang used to go to the Orion on Saturday afternoons and we tended to sit in the same wooden seats upstairs. The girls sat in the row in front of us lads.Her name was Diane and she had been head girl. I gave her a piece of my precious chewing gum and I can still see her smile - I dreamed about us conquering the world for months after that....

• Like 2

R., remind me where Windley was/is. I recall the name but not the location.

Missed two goals with being on NS.