admin

Alfreton Road

Jill Sparrow    3,634

Hey, I haven't got Alzheimer's after all! My memory is pretty good for useless details and I always associated that shop with Jane.

I remember Shirley Wilkinson, she's on the photo, along with Stephen Eccles, Michael Chomyn, Zena Marshall and others. In fact, on the photo, I'm sitting on one side of Jane and Jill Maddern is on the other side.

My mum went to Berridge with Percy Maddern, Jill's father. Apparently all the girls were after Percy!

I would love to see your school photos, David, as I was friends with Margaret Beardsall for ages. Like you, uploading images is outside my comfort zone but Catfan is brilliant at these things and has been an enormous help.

Last I heard, Jennifer Dench had gone into politics. I believe it's not long ago that her mother passed on.

letsavagoo    160

I'll get my school photos out when I get chance. I'm really busy at the moment, involved in transcribing all the letters my grandfather wrote home from ww1. I have a deadline as its all part of a larger project but I'll get to it. Technically I'm very good on the computer, I've built many and fix them for everyone round here but just don't bother with photbucket etc. If you pm me an email address I'll send them accross to you. Janes got a few of hers too. You might be on one but as we've only got a few we borrowed from Wilco and scanned so it's not a certainty.  I've got every single year from infants right through. 

letsavagoo    160
On 24 October 2016 at 8:07 AM, FLY2 said:

I lived at 4 Truro Cres letsavagoo, from about mid 50's till 63.

Perkins at 3. Mrs Steadman at 4. Pownalls at 5. Fish family at 6 I believe, great days.

I've just realised that during my time at Truro Crescent your old place was occupied by Mr and Mrs Baron. We knew them as they previously lived on Glentworth Road a few doors away from my wife's family. Mr Baron passed away last year but his wife is still there. Never knew the name of the woman at number 5 but we always referred to her as 'lipstick' as she always sported bright crimson lips.

FLY2    7,097

If I'm not mistaken, that who my parents sold it to. I loved the very large detached garage. Plenty of room. 

Cliff Ton    5,492

This is 1937, not long after the Capitol cinema had been built (the building with two horizontal white stripes). Newquay Avenue down the side appears to be only partially complete.

wzbRBnz.jpg

Go back a few years earlier and there are big empty spaces everywhere. The white houses on Churchfield Lane stand out.

NsZf4vX.jpg

• Like 1

Jill Sparrow    3,634

Very interesting photos, CT. The white houses on the left side of Churchfield Lane would have been built in the late 20s. I knew the Breedon family who lived in one of them. Their daughter was at Berridge.

The 1937 shot is curious. The grassy space of the earlier photo is now being developed. As a child, I remember a seat and small garden area surrounded by a chain link fence there. It was a place for veterans of the Great War to sit and chat, my grandfather among them. They spoke of things they wouldn't discuss with anyone else. Newquay Avenue is still to be completed, Lynmouth Crescent not even started and Truro Crescent would come much later.

Also noticed cows in the fields, bottom right. Mum remembered the cows going up Bobbers Mill Road twice a day to be milked. Where they went to, I don't know!

Nice to be able to see the area as my grandparents knew it. Thanks for sharing them with us!

letsavagoo    160

A couple of great photos, thanks for posting Cliff Ton. I haven't seen these before. They are very reliant for me. The first in the centre about 2 thirds up shows the lolly pop shaped excavation that became Truro Crescent off Newquay Avenue. I lived on Truro for 20 years. I recall when I moved there one of the neighbours, a Mr Perkins who have moved there when his house was new told me he remembered looking up at a roar in the sky and saw three German bombers going  my house which had scaffolding up still being built. The second just about shows the house where I was born namely Grimston Road which can be seen parallel at the very top. My house was to the right at the Churchfield Lane end. When I was a boy the next door neighbour, Mr Mayfield used to say when he moved in he could cross Churchfield Lane and it was all fields way out to Sellars Wood and beyond. I thought he was barmy and wish I paid more attention.

• Upvote 1

Jill Sparrow    3,634

My mum also remembered Churchfield Lane when it was just fields, letsavagoo. She also recalled cows being herded up Bobbers Mill Road to be milked twice a day in her childhood, 1930s!

letsavagoo    160
51 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My mum also remembered Churchfield Lane when it was just fields, letsavagoo. She also recalled cows being herded up Bobbers Mill Road to be milked twice a day in her childhood, 1930s!

Thanks Jill. Top right in the 1937 I'm pretty sure is Radford pit. You can see people walking at the side of the Leen to or from it. I may be wrong but I think the cows are in fact horses. The resolution is poor but certainly look more horse like to me. Horses would still be common for carts etc, maybe even to do with the pit. Lynmouth is partly built on the later picture.