admin

Alfreton Road

58 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

There was also a Jacky Pownalls on St Ann's Well Road but I think there were quite a few brothers and the were all "Rag & Bone" merchants.

It was across the road from my Gran's café, they sold second hand furniture and stuff like that.

Looking either way on Alfreton Rd.Cafes , chipshops pubs & bargains.alfreton_rd1.jpgIs the runner still going...seem to recall a Browns Bread and Cake shop.

Music Inn also..nice Mini Countryman.skillstoyshop2.jpgLooking towards Peveril St.Purple Elephant, Skills , Plastic Bag Co.

The Alma Inn is further down..Terry terroritry this is...Simca?

• Like 2

Ian. The photo was a bit after my time. I left Peveril St in 1955. To see a car parked was a rarety. No trolley bus lines so must have been in the 60's/70's. The people crossing the road were facing my Aunt Min's green grocery shop.Looks like Beals hosiery factory was still there. My late friend Eric Biddulph worked at the Midland bank at the top of Peveril St 1960/65.  His book 'The First Seventy Years' published in 2007 has a lot of every day 'Nottingham'  in it's content and I will bring it to the next meet up for you to pour over.

• Like 2

Thanks Peveril..A Start in Life by Alan Sillitoe gives a great description of Peveril Street.

• Like 1

Here is an aerial view of part of the area of Radford in 1937 , note the lack of cars.

radford1937.jpg

• Like 2

Wonder if my Ortzen St.watering hole was going then? I stay in this area 2 or 3 times a year...it really is a pity that fire at Smeetons didn't spread.Great post Trogg..reckon this area needs some money spending on it..painted robins indeed !