Junior reading material

Ayup all,

I suppose like me you all read comics as kids, Which ones did you read and how old was you when you stopped subscribing?

Rog

The closest thing I read to a comic book was a Rupert annual that my mom gave me. I still have it!!

"Roll Up You Lot! who's havin' a bash at the lottery? - A pahnd a guess!"

Classic Mick - he could have come from Nottingham thumbsup

Ayup Mick,

I'd forgot about Jonah, I used to think he was related to Plug from the Bash street kids, They had similar facial expressions and who could forget those teeth? I remember in the 70s we had a new machine delivered to the quarry I was a fitter at, A very big CAT loading shovel, and when it came round to repairs and servicing the only manual I had was from the center page technical drawings they used to print in the EAGLE comic, remember them?

Rog

Ayup Mick,

Eagle comic featured a guy on the front sheet called Dan Dare, in the top left corner was a red background with a picture of a flying eagle on it. Center pages were always devoted to an exploded diagram of some technological fete, very informative.

Can't think of any of the other characters who were in it at the moment. It was printed on thin glossy paper if memory serves me right.

Rog

Beezer was my comic - and when I was home for CHristmas, my sister gave me a "Beezer Book" that I originally got for Christmas in 1962 - she must keep everything!

It is still in great condition, but I am not sure what I found so funny when I was 11 years old!

A few of the above & Jackie was my fave,full of fashion & pop stars. I also have a couple of Rupert Annuals,one in great condition the other a bit of writing on,wonder how much they are worth ?

Beezer, Girls Crystal and Jackie. The annuals I had were Rupert, Noddy,Robin, and Girls Crystal. My mum had the Reveille every week which I looked at for the cartoons! I usually got a book for Christmas from my grandma, like Heidi, Children of the New Forest, Three Musketeers, Little Women, What Katy Did, Black Beauty etc. I went on to Enid Blyton later.

Dandy and Beano, sometimes the Lion for the lads..School Friend, and Girls Crystal for the girls.

I used to walk to the paper shop on a Saturday morning to collect them.

I must confess I did used to read the School Friend on the way home, because I used to read - 'The Silent Three' never admitted that to my sisters though or anyone else for that matter.

It was a street cred thing.

smile2

Biffo the bear, Mini the Minx, Lord Snooty and pals. Not the same since they have been computer generated.

Just as a matter of interest when I was in Dundee last year there are some statues of Desperate Dan,Mini minx and someone else I can't remember in the middle of town, does anyone know the significance of them?

Rog

• 2 years later...

I'm doing a Radfordred here.

We were talking about childrens comics and I was going to start a new topic, but of course, it's been done before.

Reading through it, I noted Plantfits enthusiasm for the Eagle and Micks lack of knowledge of it.

Funny that Rog, for me the Eagle was also the greatest comic ever:-

eagle.jpg

My brother started reading it just before I was born, first issue April 14th 1950, my dad used to assemble all the back numbers and being in the print trade, made them up into large books. They used to be avid reading in our house because you could get through a year long Dan Dare adventure fairly quickly. Unfortunately they got chucked out long ago, what a disaster, my brother however, cut out all the famous centre cutouts and had them all made into a book by my dad and he's still got it, along with the original first editions of the comic, 1-4.

eagle2.jpg

The centrefolds were amazing, it was always said that any new technological advances were first published in the Eagle in detail, any science programmes on TV supposedly used to check the Eagle centrefolds first before making a comment.

The big thing about Christmas was always about receiving the new Eagle Annual.

eagleannual.jpg

A bit of a classic cover, always a gem with a complete Dan Dare story.

Did you know that the Eagle was the origin of Captain Pugwash, as well as so many characters, PC 49, Harris Tweed, Jeff Arnold, Storm Nelson, Jack O'Lantern and as Lynmee says Tommy Walls.

This was an interesting one as it was an advertising cartoon for Walls ice cream, Tommy made the 'W' sign with his fingers and he could do owt, I recall in his first adventure he saved the Comet airliner from structural wing fatigue, another bit of typical Eagle foresight.

However, enough of that, when I last went up to my mums, I came across our old comic collection, these were printed out at Walter Black and Co printworks in Nottingham:

scan0016-2.jpg

They date from the 30's and into the war, I have loads of different types and issues, anyone know anything about them.

Thanks for the Eagle pics Pete, I'm sure the reason i went into the trade that I did was because of those center page cutaway drawings, made technology look interesting, And it is!!

Rog

Beano and Dandy here, also the then new Topper, later got a Billy Bunter annual, as well as cartoon strips there were also several written adventures with just the odd illustration inc one where the fat owl discovers some secret passage down to a beach used by smugglers! spiffing tales what!

I can't see this one selling very well in Hyson Green Mick.

scan0017-2.jpg

The age of innocence.

My old man was a sucker for buying us comics, perhaps because he used to set up the type and print them himself at Walter Blacks. If I remember right, it was Dandy on Tuesday, Eagle Wednesday, Beano and Beezer Thursday, Topper on Friday and Rover, featuring Matt Braddock VC, on a Saturday.

The pecking order was that my brother always got to read Eagle and Rover first, the Rover would be presented to him early on a Saturday morning with a cup of tea and I had to wait for him to get through it before I found out what had happened to Matt Braddock, had he managed to bring back that Lancaster on one engine while navigator Sgt George Bourne fought the flames single handed, terrible suspense.