Nottingham 'Haute Cuisine'

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got to be E4 ?    

Surely you wouldn't mek much haselet from a heron would you? Yer'd need quite a few I reckon!

I was looking for a new interest and that really has an appeal. I could become a master baker.

I loved narna & jam sandwiches,& I loved it on Jacobs cream crackers too yummo!

I also remember having what Katy calls pobs,though we called it flummity,I absolutely loved the flavour of the crusts in the milk,& you know why it tasted so good don't you,apart from the fact we were starving? it was made with full fat milk not that mazzy watter we all drink now. !hungry!

Sugar sandwiches were one of my favourites also brown sauce and Marmite not together silly, can’t stand Marmite now, condensed milk was another ate that by the spoonful or should I say by the tin, the best bit was getting your spoon and scrapping off the hardened condense milk from the lid and the inside.

Still today I buy the odd tin of the stuff, no wander my back teeth are full of fillings.

Bread and crumpets were browned in the open fire with copious amounts of best butter, lime marmalade was another favourite of mine.

Bip. :ph34r:

....lime marmalade was another favourite of mine.

Bip. :ph34r:

Me too - I'll still buy a jar if I see it back home. Delicious!

Anything toasted on the end of a toasting fork and done in the fire, tasted far superior to a proper toaster.

You can only get orange marmalade over here, so I make my own lime, or lemon and lime marmalade, as it's so much tastier than just plain old orange.

Thanks Caz!! You've now got me hankering for a Jacob's Cream Cracker. Fat chance, over here.

Just before Christmas I attended a function at a certain Miners' Welfare, not too many miles from Nottingham, where the catering consisted of nothing but dripping butties. :Shock:

Another delicacy!

Bread and dripping - especially if you can get some of that brown, salty, jelly stuff! Goes down a treat with a glass of (whole) milk!

Anything toasted on the end of a toasting fork and done in the fire, tasted far superior to a proper toaster.

You can only get orange marmalade over here, so I make my own lime, or lemon and lime marmalade, as it's so much tastier than just plain old orange.

Thanks Caz!! You've now got me hankering for a Jacob's Cream Cracker. Fat chance, over here.

You must live in the wrong state! There are several supermarkets here that have "British" stuff - and Jacobs Cream Crackers are normally available. Must be all the Brits that work for the auto companies!

Ayup Limey,

I still live in the UK and I can tell you in Nottingham (when I go there) it's difficult to get some good old British snap now, however you can get any amount of halal, sugar dumplins, chicken and peas and rice etc but try looking for home made black pudding, faggots, and chips cooked in dripping. I suppose that what makes Nottingham the interesting and exciting place it is with such diversity,(tongue in cheek there)

Rog

Ayup Lynmee,

Bl@@dy long way to go for a bag of chips but it's nice to know they are still available, I am looking for somwhere to visit for the day over the next couple of month's and I might give the Black country a visit. Looking at old machinery and stuff finished off with a nice bag of chips, sound perfect I think I'll bring my visit foreward a few weeks, thanks for the suggestion.

Rog

When we were there at Christmas we took a drive to Skeggy on Christmas Eve (surprisingly busy), and then up to Sutton-on-Sea (showing Mary my childhood holiday locations!). There was a chip shop open in Sutton - so we had a large bag of chips and walked along the sea wall - they were bl**dy good! - Or perhaps my memory is fading!

Course, then we washed them down with a pint in the local - and they had MILD - so I tried that - it was good too! Haven't seen mild in a pub for years!

Still remember train trips from Daybrook to Skeggy for our summer hols - a week in a caravan! Not sure how me mum managed to get all our stuff, and us, on the bus to Daybrook, then on the train without going nuts - but we managed somehow. They always seemed to be very long days with much excitement and a happy ending!

unionflag

Still remember train trips from Daybrook to Skeggy for our summer hols - a week in a caravan! 

A week in a caravan at Skeggy - that must have been at Ingoldmills. EEEEK!!!

They used to have these funny ditches separating areas, and they always smelt very peculiar. Someone told me that was because people used to wee in them at night to save the long walk to the "ablutions" block.

Food most reminiscent of Nottingham - chip butties with the bread cut into doorstops, and a Greasy Joe from the Robin Hood Cafe. This being a sandwich of two or three rashes of bacon, and the bread fried in the bacon fat. The whole thing hot and the fat running down your hands. Fabulous in Winter.

I don't know why the Robin Hood Cafe comes to mind, as I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Hugs Alison

Hi Rog,

you could be right. My paper-round, doing the Park Estate, used to end on the North side of the Castle. Three of us used to meet at a cafe fairly close to there, where, in Winter, the newsagent would buy us all a greasy Joe on Saturday mornings.

I used to be up and out by 5.30am - no breakfast not even a cup of tea. Pushing me bike through the snow in Winter to earn a few bob. Charles Dickens had nothing on growing up in the Meadows in those days. Gave us the ability to cope with anything that life throws at us though. Which is pretty good. If anything I feel sorry for the kids nowadays.

Hugs Alison

• 3 years later...

On Saturdays,after watching Tommy Lawton and Jackie Sewell down the lane we used to have mussels too and when in season Bluebuttons with them.

Lynmee

There on the bubble now.

Chop up - kettle boiling water in pan - lid on shake to clean - drain - mix gravy - add - salt/pepper/lea&perrins - 3 bacon rolled up - simmer 30min - fried egg - crusty bread - I'm eating in about 10min.

27-10-2010009.jpg

Hope they taste 'orrible....:glare: can't find a soddin' one this year.Used to get the huge field ones (Foot across) in an ancient meadow near Hoveringham...Thanks to Tarmac and Co. it's now a ruddy gravel pit....hooligans.

• 1 month later...

Pork Farms used to make the best "Tomato Sausage" in the world, great big thick links, only equalled by my local (Over here) butcher , sadly now gone, although his were only thin 'uns.

I've tried Morrisons own, Tescos and Asdas but none compare to Pork Farms (Or David Moores!!) I had cravings for "Moorsies" when I worked abroad, so much so that SWMBO used to bring a couple of pound out for me when she used to visit!!