Nottingham 'Haute Cuisine'

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got to be E4 ?    

Surely you wouldn't mek much haselet from a heron would you? Yer'd need quite a few I reckon!

I was looking for a new interest and that really has an appeal. I could become a master baker.

can't find a soddin' one this year.Used to get the huge field ones (Foot across) in an ancient meadow near Hoveringham...Thanks to Tarmac and Co. it's now a ruddy gravel pit....hooligans.

You wouldn't have got many when my old man was alive. He worked for Hoveringham, so knew every field where they grew; used to come home with dirty great bags full of blueys. Funny thing was he was allergic to all fungi, so my Mum used to do 'em for me and her, just how radfordred showed us only without the fried egg on the side, and cos we was poor it was streaky bacon not the posh shortback wot he's got! :tongue:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Used to love pyclets years ago but haven't had any that weren't like India rubber for donkeys years.Can't count the number of times I've bought 'em and they've finished up in the bin.Maybe it's the Monosodium Glutamate on the label affecting my taste buds.

• Like 1

what about bournvita as a drinkbut by the spoonful and slowly let it melt in your mouth umm

brought a pkt of pyklets this week had them a couple of times for my breakfast hovis ones not too bad but as pooh bear sez not as good as they used to be.

It's not the old taste buds though is it?...when it comes to pyclets it's the texture...I'm damned sure they weren't rubbery in the old days...firm yes,and crunchy if the edges got a bit scorched.

Theoretically Pikelets and oatcakes were flatter,the batter not poured into a mould. But the common name known to my Mother and her Mother of those pictured in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire was pyclets.The words muffins and crumpets were more associated with the London of Charles Dickens.

That Bazza's right you know!!

I'm quite aware that pyclets are considered by many the flatter of the products on the market...In fact I used to sell the yeast to two companies in Derby to make them.

What I'm saying is all the females in my (Nottingham) family always called them pyclets...mistakenly maybe,but I never ever heard Nottingham people call them muffins or crumpets.

Maybe the word pyclets was used as a regional term for all similar products.In a similar context that Nottingham people use the word cobs and not bread rolls.

What I'm saying is all the females in my (Nottingham) family always called them pyclets...mistakenly maybe,but I never ever heard Nottingham people call them muffins or crumpets.

I've always been confused by these distinctions; I think it actually varied from street to street even within Nottingham!

My mother (and grandmother) used to tell me what they considered the difference between pyclets and crumpets - but I can't remember what their explanation was. But I definitely heard the words crumpets and pyclets equally. But muffins.......... they were something totally different.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Pyclets and crumpets are basically the same in size, texture and taste, except that pyclets are flatter.

Also, the word 'pyclet' is reputed to be used more in the North of the country, whereas the word 'crumpet' is used in the South. :biggrin:

PS: Muffins may be toasted both sides.

'Have you seen the muffin man,

the muffin man, the muffin man?

Have you seen the muffin man

who lives down Drury Lane?

Always knew them as pikelets/pyclets - be they thick or thin.

However, crumpet in my youth was something highly desirable on two legs and of the female gender!

• Upvote 1

muffinus.jpg

And is it correct in saying that 'muffin top' is a world wide affliction caused by eating too many pyclets/pikelets/crumpets/muffins? slywink

• Upvote 1