Nottingham 'Haute Cuisine'

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got to be E4 ?    

Surely you wouldn't mek much haselet from a heron would you? Yer'd need quite a few I reckon!

I was looking for a new interest and that really has an appeal. I could become a master baker.

One of our favourite lunchtime snacks is a cheesy pikelet . Cheap and quick .

Toast your pikelet as normal , then thinly spread on tomato puree , put one slice cheddar on that with a slice of tomato on top and put under grill till cheese is slightly browned . Sprinkle with ground pepper and serve with a bit of salad and jobs a good 'un .

My old mum used to tell me she once had a job 'poking holes in pyclets' after which she got another job 'mangling pots' ................. :unsure:

It was the 'mangling pots' that most intrigued me, but I never asked the obvious question.................

Yes - interesting jobs those. They remind me of the industries my mum used to refer to - the jam mines at Pinxton, the treacle pits at Selston and the fog-bottling works at Shottle.

And another thing - if a stupid person is called gormless, what exactly is the gorm that we all need in order to avoid stupidity?

• Upvote 1

BTW where on earth is smithereens...................... :biggrin:

From Merriam-Webster dates smithereens to 1829, while T. P. Dolan suggests 1825, citing Jeremiah Hogan’s The English Language in Ireland. This last source also mentions an Anglo-Irish verb smither, meaning “break in pieces”. The variant forms smiddereens and shivereens were recorded before the spelling stabilised........... thought to derive from the Irish smidrín /(“small fragment”, plural smidiríní).

So maybe smither entered Irish as smiodar, became smidrín, and re-entered English as smithereens. Whatever its precise origin, the word seems to have been spreading steadily since its inception.

Yes - interesting jobs those. They remind me of the industries my mum used to refer to - the jam mines at Pinxton, the treacle pits at Selston and the fog-bottling works at Shottle.

And another thing - if a stupid person is called gormless, what exactly is the gorm that we all need in order to avoid stupidity?

From English dialectal gaum (understanding) +‎ -less = (without) before that (c.1200), from Old Norse gaumr "care, heed "

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I am teaching granny to suck eggs here, but if you like custard and haven't tried this one then do so. It is ready to use - just warm up in a saucepan. It's gorgeous. For heaven's sake DON'T TELL CARNI.

I'll go so far to say that it is the Hobgoblin of custard.

Devon%20custard%20485x800_zpsd1k08sie.jp

• Upvote 1

Just been to Tesco. That packet of custard I showed (above) was £1.65. We get it from our local Heron store for £1.

Ambrosia Devon Custard.#94/95

You're right; I do know about it and we stock up on it when it is on offer at Morrisons at 50p a tin. We have five tins in the Pantry as we speak,(Bought on offer at Christmas, with 12/2017 use by date. I mainly just make half a pint, the old fashioned way with Custard Powder, Sugar and Milk in the microwave, it only takes 3mins.

You just made me fancy some Stewed Fruit and Custard. Which one, I've got Damsons, Apples and Guzgogs in the freezer? Mmmm :hungr:

• Upvote 2