Ayup all,

Every Saturday we had to visit my granny in Bulwell, she lived down Albert street next to the school, The mornings were took up at the sixpenny rush either at the top of the street (now the Co op) or at Leno's, the afternoon was spent tormenting my grand fathers chickens in the long garden he had ( it went through to Deptford street) If it was a hot day we would pick coal tar from between the cobbles and make our own marbles, obviously getting a clout for getting the stuff all over our clothes, the prefered method of removing the offending tar was by rubbing butter or marg on it to soften it. later on when it was getting dusk the street gas lights would come on, automatically in the late 50s, we would shin up the lamp post and blow the mantle out but the gas would still be exiting the pipe, after the lamp body had filled up with sufficiant gas we would light some newspaper and let it float up the lamp standard, on reaching the lamp head the gas would explode and blow the windows out of the lamp head. I just wanted to get that little act of vandalism of my chest, sorry if I've bored you.

Cheers

Rog

My cousin went to Albert Street Sunday school, I can remember going to their Sunday school anniversary with her. I also went to some club could it have been a miners welfare to a party when a youngster, I remember my uncle played the piano there

Ayup Dodie

Ah! yes I can remember that club now, Just down Albert street from the picture house, I dont think it was a miners club though.Some Saturday afternoons when my uncles were at my grannies they would go to that club and I would be allowed to tag along and watch them play snooker. I'll have a think to see if anymore memories come to light about the place, Remember the factory at the bottom of the street, I think it was some sort of engineering works?

Rog

• 8 years later...

Hi,

I came upon this forum through a google search Albert Street + Bulwell. Not finding what I was looking for on the Internet, I thought I'd ask here.

I visited Nottingham in the mid 1960s and stayed in what had stuck in my mind for all those years as Albert Street, Bulwell. I was recently trying to locate this place on a map on the Internet, and could not find it. Thought my memory was failing me so I looked for an Albert Road, no luck either.
I found an Albert Street in Hucknall and thought I might be confused between Hucknall and Bulwell, since the name Hucknall rings a bell as well, but it somehow doesn't fit with the visual images I've kept in my mind. I seem to recall Hucknall was where the buses from Nottingham city centre were heading to but we got off the bus before that. And this Albert Street was a small street on the left hand side of a main road, Nottingham city centre being behind us. The house I was staying in (my penpal's) was right at the beginning of the street, we never went to the other end of the street but I somehow had the feeling it was a dead end. I remember it as quite a straight narrow street.

Now I've found this thread about an Albert Street in Bulwell, I'm starting to think it might not be my mind being age confused. Is there or has there ever been an Albert Street in Bulwell?

Hi Rosie, it was a dead end,however at the bottom to the right was a footpath that took you to the pedestrian bridge over the railway and onto the river Leen,on the left side at the bottom of the street was a factory,not sure what they did,somesrt of engineering works,the picture house now the CoOp is still on Highbury vale but the end of the street is now built over,next to the picture house/CoOp going down Albert street (it was on a bit of a hill) was the working mens club,a bit lower down on the right side was a small "shop" for want of a better word and the lady who owned it was called Eileen she used to sell ice cream and lollies (suckers to us kids),Iv'e probably mentioned all this stuff in the opening post but it's nice to go back in time so excuse the ramblings

Rog

• Upvote 1

I had the pleasure of going to Highbury Infants School and then the Junior School but not the Senior School. The Infants was closed when Cantrell Road School was opened (must have been about 1950/1 as my Brother went there). I also went to the 6d rush at the Highbury Cinema. There were two shops on Albert Street, the top shop and the bottom shop, they were both on the right hand side going down the hill. I think there was a murder or something at the bottom shop while I was at the school. The school caretaker lived in a house between the school & the factory. The factory had a steam hooter that sounded at shift changes. The infants & Junior schools were mixed but the senior school was boys only & the boys came from all over Bulwell including Bulwell Hall Estate. At the end of school there was a trolley bus standing off the wires outside the cinema but showing 44 Bulwell Hall Estate on the blind, this was to take the boys home.

The Methodist Church was built by the Primitive Methodists.

One thing I remember is that the Infants school was used as a polling station for elections and we got a days holiday, the ballot boxes were collected at the close of the poll by a city transport double-deck bus with a policeman standing an the platform, it had to reverse all the way down the street.

Memories from the late 1940's early 1950's so apolgies for any errors.

Brian.

• Upvote 2

Highbury Secondary School for Boys , Albert Street , Highbury Vale , Bulwell c1970s

external shot of the school - as you can see in the photo the demolition has already started on the properties

photo 1008711_191971827668859_273429626_o_zpsp3acoque.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thanks for all this info, maps and photos. It all fits in with my memories (really reassuring to see I wasn't confused after all). Thanks to the maps you guys have posted I can spot on google street view the exact place where Albert Street used to stand. I was there in July 1966 so probably just before the demolition started, I never went back.
I remember the "little shop" -that's where I stayed- I don't remember the lady's first name (Eileen doesn't ring a bell, but we might be talking about different periods) I remember her husband's and daughter's.
Albert Street was my first contact with Britain half a century ago.

I think one of the famous old boys of Highbury School was Kenneth Clarke.

Kenneth Clarke was head boy at Aldercar Comprehensive or so the plaque over the entrance to the school hall says. His parents had a shop on Upper or Lower Dunstead.

Kenneth Clarke was head boy at Aldercar Comprehensive or so the plaque over the entrance to the school hall says. His parents had a shop on Upper or Lower Dunstead.

I'm sure he was at Highbury at some point. Didn't his dad have a shop in Bulwell?

I don't have any dates when his parents shop was in Langley Mill and I don't know the dates when he was at Aldercar Comp but I believe he was born in Langley Mill but would stand corrected if wrong

Don't forget that famous Nottingham tramp Boris went to that school, The little shop you mention Rosie,the lady owner had a Siamese cat first time I ever saw one of those,that would be late 50's early 60's

Rog

Thanks for posting that picture Enigma 1st,that bought back some memories, the lamp post was right outside my grandparents front garden,I spent many an hour in the summer months sat under there rolling tar from the cobbled street edges and turning them into marbles,climbing up the lamp post to blow out the gas light when it came on,and watching my father and uncle tinkering about under a car bonnet on some old car he had

Rog

• Upvote 1

Is Highbury Hospital still standing? My daughter was born there in 1974, you could see the maternity ward as you walked up to the hospital as it jutted out at the front. There was also a registry office further down, my sister married there Valentine's day 1978 or 79, there was snow on the ground.

• 5 years later...