Just read the old posts about the cafe on wilford road. Dad always told me that George Parker owned it, the same guy that ran the newsagents at the bottom shops in Clifton.

I remember George Parker very well - we lived only a couple of roads away from his shop which was on Sandham Walk and I've been in there hundreds of times.

I've not heard the one about him owning the cafe on Wilford Road, although you might well be correct. A possible explanation is that George P had a bungalow built in the early 1960s just behind that cafe, below the curve of the early Clifton Bridge. When the bridge was enlarged in the early 70s his bungalow was demolished so it only had a life of about 10 years. I don't know where he moved to after that.

I always thought it (Parkers Cafe) was owned by Mick Parker, who owned the Dungeon Club/Eight till late in Stanford Street........................Red will know!!!

This throws a cat among the pigeons.

This photo on Picture the Past http://www.pictureth...001556&prevUrl= is the closest I know to showing George Parker's paper shop. But the PTP description says that he also owned the transport cafe opposite the Clifton Bridge Inn (ie the one we are talking about). May be true, but I wonder where they got their information from.

Bearing in mind the Neilson thread and "do we believe what we read".......

Well they didn,t get it from my dad! he died in 1972. Pretty sure he knew george and the cafe post war years before we moved to Clifton, when he was a lorry driver. I also remember Albert Bates ran the beeroff and Bings the all important chip shop Scene of the famous scrap between Mac and Frank Racher. Wooleys bakers was next door to George Parkers newsagents and I remember some of the local kids used to raid their van at night for meat pies and cakes, Little buggers! dont know who it was.

Hi mgread

We used to live in Sneinton and in the 50s before Clifton was built me and my parents sometimes caught a Gotham bound South Notts bus and visited the cafe,which at that time was on the other side of the road to the present one, and I was under the impression it was owned by a family named Rowe or Roe,then after tea and ice cream a long

Hi lynmee I will have to bow to your greater Knoledge I did not know that the cafe used to be on the trent side of the road the only building that I remember on that side was a house that stood right on the edge of the Fairham brook. We didn't move to clifton untill the mid fifties so my own memories of the area are all after then untill around 1972.

• 7 years later...

RR, smashing photo. Brings back many memories. The Co-op had a bakery just inside the front door and on Saturday mornings I would be treated to a sausage roll before we caught the 53 to Crown Island on our way to visiting my Nan in Bilborough. (We caught the 60 from the Crown up to Burnside Green). I can also remember my parents being a three piece suite from Ideal Homes. I think that the next shop to the left, just out of shop would have been Fourbouys or perhaps Booths greengrocers.

Lizzie, I  think Clifton NCT buses used to run out  b of the original Broad Marsh, along with South Notts. The 53 that I  used to drive ran from Valley rd., Mansfield rd.end, all along the boulevards to Clifton bridge then up to Clifton. B.

My aunt and uncle used to live on the corner of Green lane/Southchurch drive. Used to visit them as a nipper.

Buses to Clifton went from Broad Marsh bus station - the old and newer versions. The services were operated by NCT, South Notts, and West Bridgford (until they were taken over by NCT).

You could also get buses to Clifton from Huntingdon Street, using the South Notts services which went to Loughborough.

Thanks for that DdB. I had finished the buses then. By 68 I  was driving coal lorries then moved on to SPD on Glaisdale drive.

(Just thought it might have been possible I  could've picked you up).

I do Margie, I  do ! Just got back home from my next neighbours funeral down in Brighton. Makes you realise your own vulnerability. 

DdB , I  probably did pick you up on the 55 s, were you that kid who were allus yellin !

• 8 months later...

Nottingham Token Post...

s-l225.jpg

Sorry... :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Token Nottingham Post... changed to Clifton drone

Spoiled my gag...:(

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/20/2011 at 7:36 PM, Cliff Ton said:

This throws a cat among the pigeons.

This photo on Picture the Past http://www.pictureth...001556&prevUrl= is the closest I know to showing George Parker's paper shop. But the PTP description says that he also owned the transport cafe opposite the Clifton Bridge Inn (ie the one we are talking about). May be true, but I wonder where they got their information from.

Bearing in mind the Neilson thread and "do we believe what we read".......

I went to school with Colin Parker His Dad ran the Tobacconists on Clifton Estate.

It was his uncle that ran the cafe and had a house alongside it. The bungalow that was further back near the flyover was occupied by Colin’s family. I used to go there many times as we were friends and had a mutual obsession with the Beatles music. 

The cafe featured in the 2nd series of Auf Weidersein Pet and the Brummie Arsonist is filmed having a cuppa before scrounging a lift from a lorry driverand on their fan site there’s a couple of videos of it being demolished. Colins family were bought out for the road to be widened and moved to the nearby Silverdale Wimpey estate.

• Like 1

Parker's newsagents was on Sandham Walk. From where we lived I could run down there in a minute or less. I remember the name of Colin Parker but didn't really know him. I did a paper round for that shop in 1969-70; by that time the manager was a man named Neville Barnett, although George Parker still owned it.

I remember the bungalow at the edge of Clifton Bridge, and the transport cafe. We passed them every time we went into Nottingham on a bus - either over Clifton Bridge or under towards Trent Bridge.