Sorry if this is in the wrong section folks, l'm new on here and did'nt know where to put it.Anyone has anyone got photos of clifton through the years from being built to the present day, and any video clips, and maybe some websites of clifton....many thanks.

Hi Ray

Welcome...

No problem, post moved, link remains in original forum.

Ray & Lynmee,

Click on: http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

Then 'Search the Image' page, then 'Accept', then enter 'Clifton' in the keyword box.

291 Clifton pictures for you, both village and estate, over the years.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks rob.Yes l know of this site and have seen photos of clifton which shows alot of old photos of clifton. The photos l would like to see would be areas around clifton in the 60's 70's and 80's like the main shops and the main road areas, l have not seen any around at all .So l wondered if anyone on here has any or knows of where to look, but thanks for your help rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about pictures luv, but used to walk there before they built the bridge in '58.

Crossed 'ape'ny bridge then right through a churchyard (???), there used to be an apple orchard along there where if you were clever you could doing some scrumping wi'out getting caught. And a small stream with sandy banks that flowed into the Trent. You could sit and eat your apples there. <grin>

Mind you the Estate was a fraction of the size it is now. I had an Uncle who lived on Ridgemont Walk. If you crossed a vegetation strip there was the main road to Gotham (Farnborough Road I think), and then across the road were open meadows down to the Trent.

Hugs Alison

the small stream was faireholme brook[ if thats how you spell it] spent many happy hours there picnicking with a lot of relatives when i was small. one big happy faily , no cars then the adults used to carry all the picnis basketsand we,d walk from the meadows , over the toll bridge through the churchyard by the trent to clifton grove . kids wouldnt walk that far nowadays , dont think the parents would either.

Ayup Zacsmum,

Fairham brook was the name you wanted, it starts somewhere near Keyworth runs through Bunny village, across Gotham moor, through bottom of Clifton and into the Trent up stream of Clifton bridge, some good fishing there too

Rog

Hi Rog, I think I prefer Zacsmum's spelling - faireholme brook. It sounds much more olde worlde, a bit like my vintage.

Hey Zacsmum, that was a fabulous spot. Sandy banks and shallow enough for kids to be able to paddle. Before the bridge it was so quiet and peaceful. I could just imagine a Turner painting of a picnic there a hundred years before. Whereabouts in the Meadows did you walk from luv ?

Hugs Alison

Ayup Lynmee,

I remember a cafe Clifton side of the bridge, A transport cafe and it's still there. It was used as a meeting place in the first episode of Aufweidesehn Pet (sp) on the ITV series

Rog

Yep, the cafe is next to the ambulance station, it has a caravan site just behind it and is located on Wilford Land between the Silverdale Island and the bridge itself.

Hi Pemberton,the original cafe was on the other side of the road to the present one,im going back now to about 1949/50,mam,dad and me used to catch a Gotham bus out there,have something to eat and drink then walk back to Sneinton on a Sunday.

Lynmee

Blimey Lynmee, you are going back (sorry!) thats before Clifton was built!

I think it is magic the way that people then wouldn't think twice about walking miles just for the enjoyment of it.

Nowadays my daughter drives a few hundred yards to the shops. Whereas, although I have a car, I still walk everywhere. Is it a time issue do you think? It's quicker, or less effort.

Alison

• 1 month later...

hi alison sorry i,m a bit late with my post , been bacck to nottm for 2 weeks , we walked all over the meadows and beyond. when at school [trentbridge] we walked the embankment 4 times aday thought nothing of it in them days ,no school run in them days , not many cars you see.i remember going to school once in a fog and ending up at the paddling pool, didnt know where we were walking, you dont get peasoupers like that anymore. i could go on for ever about the meadows , during the war and after but thats another story

cheers barbara

• 1 month later...
Hi Pemberton,the original cafe was on the other side of the road to the present one,im going back now to about 1949/50,mam,dad and me used to catch a Gotham bus out there,have something to eat and drink then walk back to Sneinton on a Sunday.

Lynmee

B) Hi lymme

I am sure the cafe you are on about is the same one I have been looking on the net for it was called the round-house or gate-house my mam & dad used to take us there when we were kids.

they served teas cakes people use to come from all around the meadows and clifton has a stop off point, there also was a big house on the corner were the blue and brown buses use to turn for trent bridge, the green ones use to go over the new clifton bridge, anyway back to the big house can you remember that it looked like something out of a scrary movie.

If anyone has photoes of these or any new web sites ( I have seen most ) please let me know.

jessie

Lynmee

HI ALANMEE

yes there was a cafe on the other side after taking to my mates it was owned by Nevins the coal man, there family still got something to do with the one that there to day,

jessie

I`m still looking for the round-house

to all CLIFTONITES Can anyone remember the big tree that use to stand at the bottom of farnborough road, and what clifton people use to call it, and what we use to put on it, it was very usefull for first residents in clifton.

jessie

B)

the answer is here click on the site and go to the bottom click on audio documentary just sit back and wait for the clifton people talking about it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/sense_of_p...al_estate.shtml

jessie

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...