Lotions, Potions and Remedies

Those of us of a 'certain age' will remember getting a tablespoon of malt extract, a teaspoon of cod liver oil and some rose hip syrup, daily. I loved them all, especially the malt. Also the clinic had the best orange juice, that you diluted.

When recovering from an illness, you'd get a huge bottle of tonic from the doctors, as a pick-me-up. It was the most foul tasting stuff, worse than the ailment in my opinion.

Any other remedies you remember?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad always used lard, which came in large blocks as big as a small coffee table in our chippie in the 50's / 60's. He chopped it up with a massive machete ! 3d and 6d a bag !  

To those interested in alternate medicine, I started on this route after coming across a cassette tape and then the book, "Dead Doctors Tell No Lies" by a medical Dcotor. He was born and raised on a f

My gran drank six glasses of Andrew’s Liver Salts everyday. When she passed away they had to beat her liver to death with a stick!

Scott's Emulsion, creamy and rather pleasant - tall bottle with their logo of an angler holding up a salmon....obtained from school, as was the malt.

Fenning's Fever Mixture, Gee's Linctus, Friar's Balsam......

Cheers

Robt P.

I remember those remedies all too well.

The Malt and the Orange Juice was delicious, the Cod Liver, what can I say, apart from

I can’t drink it, it’s ‘orrible, along with a tantrum, followed by slapped legs from my mother.

The other medicine I always remember was black, and tasted like chloroform, it was one of those medicines that was a cure all.

No matter what was wrong with you, you always got a bottle of this medicine, which was in a plain glass bottle, standard cork, and a white label with the directions on.

The other thing I remember is the old ‘National Dried Milk’ for babies, none of your fancy Cow&Gate in those days.

I won’t mention about going to school with no socks on.

smile2

There was some kind of leaf that you spit on and rubbed on nettle stings - can't say that it worked though!

I remember a concentrated orange juice (?) that came in a clear glass bottle with a cork stopper. I think about a teaspoon was mixed in a glass of water. It must have been just after the war and the stuff still required a ration coupon to get it - I still have my ration book!

Wasn't there also some strange concoction that you spread on brown paper then applied to the chest to relieve congestion? :Shock:

We put Germolene on cuts. Most likely still going? Over here there are Wintergreen mints and root beer, both taste like the smell of Germolene, if you get me?.

The tonic I mentioned was brown, and I guess was full of iron. You had to keep taking it till the whole lot was gone.

My mam said that when I was a baby, everytime she went to the clinic for my baby milk powder, it was a different brand each time. When my kids were babies, they said not to keep changing the formula. It didn't do me any harm.

My dad took Andrews Little Liver pills [not sure of the Andrews bit, but the rest is right]

My mum used to keep a small brown bottle of Brown's Mixture, or something like that. If you'd got an upset stomach, she'd put a few drops in warm water to drink. She's also take a small glass of ginger wine, to settle her stomach.

Anyone remember something called Liquafruita or something like that. Could be the black medicine mentioned by Olive. A cure all for coughs, colds, bad chests and respiratory problems. Tasted strongly of what I thought was onions but could have been garlic. Probably the worst thing I have tasted in my life . Other kids that had it seemed to smell of it for a week so I Guess I must have smelt then same.

Venoes cough mixture, Vick in a bowl of hot water, stick your head over the bowl and put a towel over your head and inhale the fumes. Probably against all human rights today

Rog

There was always Lucozade! We were only allowed to have that if we were ill - and, thinking about it, very ill at that!

How about syrup of figs, senna pods or beechams pills. My husband comes from a big family and they all were given a spoonful on a Friday night. then there was a fight for the loo.

I remember my Mum took De witts liver pills they came in a blue box and made your pee green.

I remember all of the above as well as Barley water what was that for ??? & sulphur tablets, again I have no idea what they were for but we chomped them like sweets,they were different colors & tasted like sulphur,what a surprise!

Senna tea - yeeeeeuccchhhhhhh!!!!!!

Anybody remember Beecham's Powders? I believe the Aussies had a similar remedy called "Bax" or "Bix"?

How come everything that was supposed to fix us tasted so 'orrible?

Hi Limey

Bex is one & I am reliably informed Vincent is another ,did the same job as Alka Seltzer I reckon?

Hi Limey

Bex is one & I am reliably informed Vincent is another ,did the same job as Alka Seltzer I reckon?

Yep, "Bex" was it! I heard about it from a young lady on my first trip to Oz in about 1985!

You may laugh, but I stock up with old fashioned Beecham's Powders when I come over for a visit. I think they work a treat and are better than the tablet form which came out years later. I remember trying sulphur tablets as a teen. They were supposed to help get rid of your zits, so I guess they cleanse the system.

Her who must be obeyed has just asked me to ask if anyone can remember 'cooling powders' I think they was for when you had a bit of a temperature, she said they came in a flat paper and you had to mix the powder with milk!

... I think she has just described Beecham`s again.? To you all ,very seriously I would advise NOT to put anything in your body unless absolutely essential. e.g. Camomile tea (of which there are dozens of different plants hiding behind this title),herbal teas,and Chinese remedies,etc.Food manufacturers poison us with thousands of untested compounds daily,don`t worsen the situation with other rubbish. Even excess vitamin intake can be harmful. !sickly!

• 2 weeks later...

barley water was suppose to clear your kidneys , none of your robinsons for us my mam used to buy pearl barley [ a bit like dried rice is ] and boil it herself , strain it and we had to drink the liquid , not very pleasant i can tell you