Lotions, Potions and Remedies

What about Andrews Liver Salts! dad always used to take them (spoonful in a glass of water) on a Sunday morning after a Saturday night at the Cocked Hat smile2

And we always used to swear by Lion Ointment - sadly, can't get it anymore no2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad always used lard, which came in large blocks as big as a small coffee table in our chippie in the 50's / 60's. He chopped it up with a massive machete ! 3d and 6d a bag !  

To those interested in alternate medicine, I started on this route after coming across a cassette tape and then the book, "Dead Doctors Tell No Lies" by a medical Dcotor. He was born and raised on a f

My gran drank six glasses of Andrew’s Liver Salts everyday. When she passed away they had to beat her liver to death with a stick!

We were forced-fed Syrup of Figs every Saturday night, whether we needed them or not lol

In summer, Camomile lotion covered my hives and Eucalyptus oil kept some of the gnats from biting.

What a funny, chalky-pink, smelly girl I was! Lovely!

When my Gran had an upset tum, we were sent to the off-licence to get a glass of Stones Green Ginger Wine. It's funny to think that then one could buy just a glass of something from a shop. Mind you they could also pull draught beer, often filling a jug for my Dad.

Hugs Alison

Thats expensive Olive Oil ,we pay about 11 dollars for one litre,and you are nearer Italy & Greece than we are !!

The Co-Op I worked at in Long Eaton had an Off-License and although we didn't sell draught beer, or spirits by the glass, we did sell Port and Sherry by the pint or bottle. We had two large containers in the warehouse - now I realize they were carboard boxes with big plastic bags inside and a screw-on fitting for a tap.

I would often be called upon on a Saturday morning to pour a pint of Sherry into a bottle! Perhaps it is the reason I drink so much now - mis-spent youth and all that!

thumbsup

Thats expensive Olive Oil ,we pay about 11 dollars for one litre,and you are nearer Italy & Greece than we are !!

Hi Caz,

I think 1FatBloke was referring to the medicinal quality olive oil, not your average cooking variety. It's probably the same stuff though. But people think they are getting something different.

In Oz you can buy it in a chemists in 100ml bottles for some silly price.

Alison

Anyone remember that horrible carbolic soap soap, no idea what it was for, maybe nits?

Also, Coal Tar soap for spots I think.

It was "Wrights Coal Tar Soap"!

I kinda liked the smell!

Anyone remember that horrible carbolic soap soap, no idea what it was for, maybe nits?

Also, Coal Tar soap for spots I think.

It was "Wrights Coal Tar Soap"!

I kinda liked the smell!

I still use it to this day! Wouldn't have anything else.

I had eczema bad on my hands as a kid and the only soap that didn't irritate it was "Cussons Imperial Leather". Fortunately, I seem to have grown out of the eczema, but my sister still buys me Imperial Leather soap when I visit - bless her!

Looking back - that must have been an extravagance for me mum to buy that for me. Perhaps my sisters have good skin because of me - otherwise we would have been using "washing" soap - the green stuff that came in big blocks!

As A Kid, I had eczema on my hands and elbows.

My first holiday with the lads Ruda Holiday Park, Croyde Bay, Devon August 1970.

And a hot day on the beach. Bad sunburn all over, cured it.

Hello Frank, your right it was Wrights Coal Tar soap, but any idea what it was for?

I haven't used it in years but it was the smelly Carbolic soap i hated lol

hi Jane

Whenever I pass junction 31 on the M1 I can smell the carbolic from the local chemical plant where the raw ingredients are made.

Worked there as a contractor in the 70's and have stuck with the soap ever since. It suits me so why change.

I've tried others though as the wife insists on bringing then in to the house but I'm never swayed.

I can smell the carbolic from the local chemical plant where the raw ingredients are made...have stuck with the soap ever since. It suits me so why change.

That'l keep yer complektion like a young un Frank.

But read the small print that sez

"Caution - Don't wash yer 'air in it!"

Wrights Coal Tar Soap is brilliant stuff in the tropics where anything and everything turns septic if you're not careful. Mozzie and sandfly bites easily become infected. Get coral in a cut on your feet whilst on the beach and it can lead to gangrene and an amputation if not dealt with promptly. Wrights Coal Tar Soap is a very effective way of keeping things in check.

Hugs Alison

I see Wrights coal tar soap all the time in the shops. I used to like the smell,maybe I will start buying it again. Mind you it's probably more expensive than the scented stuff nowadays? I didn't realise it was such a remedy for so many ailments,do you think it cures a bad back too? thumbsdown

Hi Caz, No I don't think that coal tar soap will do anything for your bad back. BUT I can recommend something that may help.

If you have a chinese herbalist accessible, then trot along there and buy some "Zheng Gu Shui". It's brillant stuff. Pongs a bit but very effective. Get someone to apply a liberal amount to your back, allow it to dry - a few minutes, then put on a couple of old tee shirts, to stop it staining other clothes and to keep the heat in. Be prepared for miracles.

Hugs Alison

Thanks for the tip Alison. Next time im in Melbourne i will do just that,don't mind the pong I live with a garlic sausagemunching/sourkraut eating Pole can't be any worse.................... no1

If your back is really crook luv, PM me your snail mail address and I will drop a bottle in the post this arvo. I picked up an extra one yesterday. You should have it by Monday.

Alison

PS. To all you Nottingham people out there, 'scuse the local dialect. <grin>

If your back is really crook luv, PM me your snail mail address and I will drop a bottle in the post this arvo. I picked up an extra one yesterday. You should have it by Monday.

Alison

PS. To all you Nottingham people out there, 'scuse the local dialect. <grin>

I'm still in pain Alison,I'll let you know how I go over the weekend. Good on ya mite she'll be right,you are a star lips0

• 11 years later...

I can remember my Nan putting goose grease on our chests if we had a chesty cough don’t know if it really was. Red flannel round your throat if it was sore. She used to do a lemon and honey mix for yout sore throat as well.