Lotions, Potions and Remedies

When I was a nipper our first aid was in a shoe box in a kitchen cupboard. It contained lint, lanolin, bandages and basilicon ointment for drawing out stings and splinters. If we got a grazed head or knee, mam would smear butter on the affected  part. Belly ache was treated with a teaspoon of Indian Brandy. If we caught a cold we were given hot onion gruel for tea and were tucked up in bed early.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad always used lard, which came in large blocks as big as a small coffee table in our chippie in the 50's / 60's. He chopped it up with a massive machete ! 3d and 6d a bag !  

To those interested in alternate medicine, I started on this route after coming across a cassette tape and then the book, "Dead Doctors Tell No Lies" by a medical Dcotor. He was born and raised on a f

My gran drank six glasses of Andrew’s Liver Salts everyday. When she passed away they had to beat her liver to death with a stick!

To those interested in alternate medicine, I started on this route after coming across a cassette tape and then the book, "Dead Doctors Tell No Lies" by a medical Dcotor. He was born and raised on a farm raising livestock, became a vet, then realized on his Dads farm animals rarely got ill, good job as his Dad couldn't afford huge vets bills. So he ventured to find out. He noted the livestock were given mineral "licks" which contained many required minerals to keep livestock healthy. In his research, he found most people are deficient in many vitamins and minerals due to soil deficiency and modern lifestyles.

Getting his Doctor friends to listen to his arguments fell on deaf ears, after all what does he know, he's only an animal Doctor.

So off to medical school he went, earned his MD, and now they were listening.

Next, Dr Andrew Weil, studied medicine at Harvard, in his bookd he said there was something missing from his very expensive education... PREVENTATIVE and alternative natural medicine. He stated he was taught to cure the disease NOT the symptoms.

Dr Weil travelled to South America to seek out native American Sharmans and learn their secrets.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

My BP yesterday was 111/66, used to be around 140/80 and sometimes higher, I credit my lower BP on natural herbs and amino acids I take, especially EDTA and Chinese Chlorella.

Sounds great John, but where can you get them?

I always thought EDTA was some kind of food additive that is bad for you.  Maybe you mean something else?

13 hours ago, loppylugs said:

So can you name any?   Just curious:)  I wouldn't experiment without discussing it with the doctor.

For instance, I've read that celery is a bp reliever, but nobody seems to report on how much or how often.

Four things with a real (rather than just a folkloric) effect are Rauwolfia  (Indian snakeroot), Viscum album (mistletoe) and Piscia erythrina (Jamaican dogwood). Various Veratrum (false hellebore) species have hypotensive effects but the margin between the therapeutic and the fatal dose is extremely narrow.

I might point out that EDTA is not a natural material.

Regarding colloidal silver, it is very popular here in Europe either alone or together with colloidal copper and gold. I have mentioned it elsewhere in these pages - Cuivre, Or, Argent.

• Like 2

Celery juice is sometimes mentioned in connection with thyroid problems. (Wouldn’t it be mostly water when juiced like cucumber?) However on a thyroid forum someone came off their meds and just drank it. Ended up in hospital seriously ill. Whilst I hate being on medication I am wary of “miracle cures”  which are touted on the internet (been caught out before) although some herbal medicines seem to help in certain conditions. 

• Like 1

Dave, EDTA is an amino acid, never heard of or seen it as a food addative, and take it from me, we read all food labels. HFCS is banned in out house and we also keep a lookout for foods that have none GMO in the ingredients.

Yesterday I found several brands of ketchup with no HFCS, with the claim just enough sugar to sweeten. Haven't had tomato ketchup in years due to HFCS!!  Now I'll enjoy it once again.

Canola oil also known as rape seed oil, is also banned in our house, and any product containing it.

• Like 1

I'm becoming very confused by this thread. First of all, who is Dave?

Next, how did EDTA come into the discussion? EDTA is, indeed an acid containing amino groups but its resemblance to the amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins or any other amino acids is minimal. EDTA is entirely a product of the laboratory or chemical factory. It is not natural nor does it have a similarity to any natural material.

I assume that HFCS is High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is known as liquid glucose in the UK and Europe and it is not used here nearly as much as it is in the USA where it is very low cost due to having to find ways to use up the huge quantities of corn (maize) that are produced annually.

Canola oil is a specific type of rapeseed oil with a low erucic acid content. Supposedly more healthy than 'ordinary' rapeseed oil. Whether it is or not is a subject of much discussion with aficionados  Personally, I avoid both types. Living amongst vast areas of olive groves, I find that the oil from them keeps me well nourished as it has done with countless generations before me.

• Like 2

Dave is LL.

Medicine

A specific salt of EDTA, known as sodium calcium edetate, is used to bind metal ions in the practice of chelation therapy, such as for treating mercury and lead poisoning.[9] It is used in a similar manner to remove excess iron from the body. This therapy is used to treat the complication of repeated blood transfusions, as would be applied to treat thalassaemia.

Dentists and endodontists use EDTA solutions to remove inorganic debris (smear layer) and lubricate the root canals in endodontics. This procedure helps prepare root canals for obturation. Furthermore, EDTA solutions with the addition of a surfactant loosen up calcifications inside a root canal and allow instrumentation (canal shaping) and facilitate apical advancement of a file in a tight or calcified root canal towards the apex.

(Borrowed from another source.)

Yes HFCS is a corn "sugar" not healthy and used in all soft drinks this side of the pond and in many products. It affects the metabolism causing obesity and other problems. I found HP sauce now has this crap in it. Manufacturers of HFCS have now changed it's name several times as the public are catching on, I salute food product manufacturers who proudly proclaim they don't use HFCS under any name.

There are many articles showing the dangers of Canola oil. Rape seed itself is a healthy seed, it's just the production of it into the oil which causes health problems, I use peanut oil, so far nobody has shown it to cause any health problems. I know it's expensive in Europe, from a friend who lives in Germany, seems it's four times the cost we pay for it.

I now see some brands of so called "virgin olive oil" are not what they claim, didn't the Italian government clamp down a year or so on brands claiming "Virgin olive oil"??  Seems some companies were mixing other veggie oils in with olive oil, and others were processing the oil.

• Like 1

Hi Jonab.

I appreciate your knowledge on this thread.  Dave is me Loppylugs.  I've known John - Ayupmeducks a while  now and we tend to drop into first name terms.

Seems like at the end of it all we need to tread carefully with natural or synthetic medications.  we tend to assume natural is safe, but as this thread shows one needs to be careful.  HFCS is High fructose corn syrup and is considered to be a factor in obesity (epidemic in America).  Once saw a tv program that said Canola oil is only fit for use in a machine shop and could cause serious problems.  So what do you do?  Use common sense I guess.  I think many of our doctors are victims of a for profit system.  As I'm sure you know BP is critical in Stroke and Heart issues.  So one has to do something even though hating to take synthetic meds.  Experimenting at this stage especially could be deadly.

• Like 1

I now see some brands of so called "virgin olive oil" are not what they claim, didn't the Italian government clamp down a year or so on brands claiming "Virgin olive oil"??  Seems some companies were mixing other veggie oils in with olive oil, and others were processing the oil.

I am lucky enough to live about half a kilometre from an olive farm which presses its own fruit and which provides my needs for olive oil. Also, my housekeeper collects olives herself and makes several types of olive preserve

• Like 1

Virgin olive oil is sometimes mixed with olive oil to produce  and sold as " olive oil" I use ordinary olive oil for cooking and extra virgin olive oil D.O.P. For flavouring on anything special. Salads or bread.

We have several bottles of olive oil around the place, I might give it a try sometime, I don't tend to fry much these days, bacon here tends to be what is known as "belly pork" and tends to be fatty, so I throw bacon and sausages into the oven in a shallow baking try on a wire "tray" and let all the fats drain out.

How do chips turn out deep fried in olive oil??

In my view, chips cooked in 'good' olive oil are revolting - virgin oil even more so and it's a waste of olive oil.

I prefer chips cooked in beef dripping but that is almost impossible to obtain unless you collect it yourself from roasting a joint of beef. What is good for frying and fairly readily available here is duck or goose fat. Chips cooked in either of those are very nice and crisp - roast spuds likewise.

My friend who has the fish restaurant in Cannes cooks chips in lard - these are a great hit with the Brit tourists.

• Like 1

Chips cooked in olive oil. Not a good idea. You have to get the oil very hot before you put the chips in and by then the oil has reached or over reached it's burning point?  We have used oven chips which aren't very nice and dry out quickly. I have a dry air fryer and cook chips in it. They aren't the same as being cooked in fat but they are ok. A good compromise.

Obviously lard is a good alternative.

• Like 1

I think the old chippies of the 50's and 60's used lard, then seemed to move to corn oil.

OK, won't even try chips fried in olive oil, will stick to peanut oil.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I think the old chippies of the 50's and 60's used lard, then seemed to move to corn oil.

OK, won't even try chips fried in olive oil, will stick to peanut oil.

Yes that's better I'd forgotten I sometimes use that to fry my Arancini.

Dad always used lard, which came in large blocks as big as a small coffee table in our chippie in the 50's / 60's. He chopped it up with a massive machete ! 3d and 6d a bag !  :hungr:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

No one has said that the nicest way to eat your fish and chips which have been fried in pure lard is when they have been wrapped in news papers with a little smell of vinegar, malt vinegar of cause.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, it certainly beats those styrene trays !

Mary, don't forget the salt. Absolutely vital for the right flavour.

Of course, the 'guardian angels' in government departments will soon ban every component of fish & chips. The newspaper (essential to give the correct flavour) was banned when I was young for being unhygienic. Lard was frowned upon for clogging the arteries. Salt consumption was a guarantee of a heart attack. Vinegar is corrosive and causes extreme pain if it gets into a cut or into the eyes. Anything at all which is fried causes cancer, potatoes with the slightest bit of green discolouration are said to be fatally toxic and fish is full of mercury.

The only thing left to eat in fish & chips is that silly wooden scoop thingy which, if you're not careful, will deposit splinters in your tongue. What's wrong with fingers, anyway?

Cynical?? Moi???

• Like 1

There was a chippy near the Three Crowns in Boowul in the 60s that had a very distinctive smell about it.  Could never figure out if it was different oil/fat, or 'old' oil fat, but it wasn't the most appealing.

Next time I noticed the same smell was when wandering about early evening in Selby, Yorks a year or so back.  Same smell emanating from a couple of chippies.  Put me right off it did.

Where was your Dad's chippy Fly?

I don't take sugar in either coffee or tea. ( with the exception of Italian coffee) . When I first started work the boss's mother always made the tea. She asked me if I took sugar and at the same time asked me something else to which I replied no. When she brought me the tea I didn't have the nerve to tell her no I don't take sugar and I never have to this day after 60 yrs.

• Like 1