The Duke of Newcastle pub

• 1 month later...

Whitemoor residents have received a letter from our local councillor informing them that the application re converting the Duke of Nuke into mini market + flats has been 'withdrawn' due to the pressure of the large number of objectors to the proposal, however, I've just heard that a new application has been/is being filed, I won't hold my breath on what happens next!

Newcastle Arms has a 'Pub business to let' sign up, and the Park Tavern on Nuthall road is still open, but has a sign saying 'For Sale' as a 'Development opportunity'.

I have been on the S & N website and the Lord Nelson is actually 3 storey and is on Front St, Arnold. The Royal Oak is in East Bridgford.

The Lord Nelson on Front Street Arnold has been closed for some considerable time. I'd be surprised if it ever opened as a pub again. That (North) end of Arnold is a bit 'challenged' these days and doesn't really do the business that the other end of town tends to. After The Druids Tavern on High Street was demolished not long ago it has left only The Robin Hood and Little John, on Church Street opposite the library, at that end of Arnold. It's now a little isolated from any other nearby pubs, save The Balfour Club perhaps. What's more, the cheap drinks, apart from in the clubs, are at the other end of town in Wetherspoons' The Ernehale and it's there that people tend to flock to consistently.

I don't see much of a future for The Robin. Shame because like many of these other now-defunct pubs we talk about on here it used to be a lovely pub many years ago. There was always a pianist in the lounge on certain nights, a good sing-song and a packed-out pub. There was always a nice crowd of mixed ages. No longer.

I'm sad to say it but I think Arnold is slightly dyeing on it's backside. There are still very nice residential areas but the main heart of the town is nothing like the nice, friendly and serviceable place it used to be. It's a all a great shame.

Parking fees...Thanks to brain dead councillors.

Shopping on the net..Thanks Tesco...

High business rates...Thanks again to the council...

Smoking ban in pubs...total ban instead of well ventilated smoking rooms...Thanks MPs...and tight fisted pub owners.

Pubs run by accountants and holding companies...Thanks breweries....

Booze sold below cost..because they can make money on bog rolls and other stuff...Thanks supermarkets.

And to think we voted for these overpaid council pillocks.

Welcome to a future Tesco town...AND IT'S YOU THE PUBLIC THAT HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN AND BROUGHT THIS ABOUT.

well said pooh bear you just hit the nail on the head... its sad all our pubs are shutting at an alarming rate! the one that finished me off was the white horse on ilkeston rd...it made me move to newthorpe near eastwood cos there's not too many shutting up here.

would be nice if someone made an effort to print a book on nottinghams lost pubs with big colour prints and any info about the pub or a bit of history.

There is a list with some info...but I've lost it :rolleyes: The White Horse Pub was one of the first brick built buildings in Nottingham.An early chronicler was complaining many years ago that pebble dash was hiding the brickwork.It seems the shape of the building has been retained but it is now wider...I can't yet find when this was done.

The original building..

oldreadfordhouses2pic8.jpg

After the alteration...it got wider...plus other alterations.

oopl.jpg

• 2 years later...