Ayup all,

Well I see the powers that be have successfully removed more of our heritage, Yes they've filled the Lido in and built houses on the site. The kids say they vandalise things, bus shelters, shop windows, etc because "There's nowt to do" The council say there's "No money in the pot to provide recreational facilities for youngsters" They Bl@@dy well found some money to do away with a recreational facility. How much did they get for that bit of real estate? If anyone is guilty of Anti Social Behaviour it's the clowns in that house at the end of the Market Square. What next- Convert the paddling pool down the Meadows into a Marina?????

A digruntled owd Mederite.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I used to pass the lido every day on the way to work. On a decent day it was always snided with swimmers. It was very sad to see it's gradual demise, laying unused with long grass growing around it.

I heard a reason that it had been originally closed was because the manpower needed to staff it didn't pay for it. One tends to think that it was an excuse to sell the land for more housing.

Agree with the sentiments above. Bulwell and the like has problems enough without contributing to more disaffected youth.

I spent many a happy hour at Bulwell Lido, as did thousands of kids from that area. I wondered if it was still around, I guess not.

I'll get you a photo katy - be prepared to be dissapointed!!!!!

Are there any lido's left in the locality? When I was a kid I visited

Carrington

Calverton

Papplewick

and there was also the aforementioned Bulwell version.

How sad they've all gradually disappeared over the years. I'm sure I won't be the only one with many happy summer memories of these places.

We used to go to Carrington and Highfields as kids great days out especialy if combined with a row on highfields boating lake

We used to go to Carrington and Highfields as kids great days out especialy if combined with a row on highfields boating lake

Have a few fond memories or Carington Lido, going there with my big sister. For some reason it's getting soup out of a vending machine there that always sticks in memory - the hight of early sixties sophistication!

Although I pass by there several times a week I've never had a poke around there from that day to this. It looks like a garden?

Here's a nice read about another old favourite.

Calverton Lido

I did visit once in the late 70's /early 80's with my sister and her boyfreind, He lived in Calverton

• 2 months later...

Here's a few photo's of the current development of where Bulwell Lido used to be. Spent many a summer in the outdoor pools after catching the 55 bus from Bradfield Road in Broxtowe. The end of another era eh?

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Bloody shame Frank, it might give the kids some thing to do in the summer rather than roam the streets causing mahem

I got the most severe sunburn there in the 60's, but what a wonderful lido! The "house" thing, or however you might describe it....do you remember it, lots of windows all around it with water coming out ( I recall??) I used to get the 44 from Radford rd opposite The Horse and Groom regularly in summer......remember those things?......summers?

• 2 years later...

I was born over the road from the Lido in the prefabs, I often went in "under the wire" and never got caught once.

Shame its now gone as I learnt to swim there, not many places left for kids to learn to swim theses days is there?

Owdtite.

I think there's a good choice in Sawley, but they might require a spellcheck before you're allowed in them these days though.

Just watch out for the Pike, they're wise and take no prisoners.

Our local lido at Tollesbury last summer, lovely isn't it, waters warm as well, as it's recycled at every turn of the tide:

tollesbury005-1.jpg

tollesbury009-1.jpg

lovely intit.

By the way, use of this wonderful pool and car parking is free, it even has a sandy beach, and a bog. I can only assume that the Essex populous haven't worked this one out yet and prefer to pay to cram into the nightmare Chelmsford Lido instead, perhaps they don't like swimming with shrimps, well, they tend to nibble your toes.

I have to say, we are so lucky having this on our doorstep, 20 mins drive from here and in a stunning spot, how many lidos have a lightship moored next to it.

we are so lucky having this on our doorstep, 20 mins drive from here and in a stunning spot,

Bloody big doorstep!!!! I bet that takes some scrubbing of a morning!!!

now now firbeck, you're starting to sound like a certain "australian" lol

Would that be Rolf Harris or Dame Edna? More like Dame Edna I say!

Edan has a fixation and a narcissistic attitude towards people he fears.

Isn’t it Rolfs Birthday this month? Would he be 80?

• 1 month later...

MY MOTHER IN LAW MARY PIGGOTT WORK AT THE LIDOES INTHE 60S AND 70S I HAVE SOME PHOTOES OF HER AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE STAFF TAKEN AT THE LIDOES WERE SHE WORKED CARRINGTON HIGHFIELDS AND BULLWELL MAINLY AT HIGHFIELDS AS THEY LIVED IN OLD LENTON NEAR THE WHITEHAT PUB. WHEN WE FIRST STARTED GOING OUT TOGETHER IF WE WHENT TO THE LIDO SWIMMING WITH THE OTHER GUYS AND GIRLS HE WOULD ALWAYS PERSAUDE EVERY ONE TO GO TO THE ONE SHE WOULD NOT BE THAT DAY,A. SO SHE DID NOT SEE WHAT HE GOT UP TO WHEN HE WAS OUT AND, B. SO SHE DID NOT KNOW HE HAD A GIRLFRIEND HE WAS ALWAYS A BIT AFRAYED OF WHAT SHE WOULD SAY. BUT SHE ALWAYS KNEW ANYWAY BECAUSE THE OTHER STAFF WOULD TELL HER PLAYED ALONG WITH IT FOR A WHILE UNTILL SHE TOLD HIM IT WAS ABOUT TIME HE TOOK ME TO MEET HER HE NEVER DID THOUGH EVENTUALLY HAD TO INTRODUCE MYSELF WHEN HIS MUM AND DAD CAME TO PICK ME UP TO TAKE ME TO HIS PASSOUT PARADE WHEN HE HAD WAS IN THE RAF. WE HAD BEEN TOGETHER ABOUT 18 MONTHS OR SO BE THEN THINK THEY THOUGHT ITS ABOUT 6 MONTHS. WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND THE PHOTOES AND POST THEM FOR PEOPLE TO LOOK AT.

• 3 years later...

Lido's, swimming pools, sports grounds, youth clubs, social clubs.

All these so-called 'public ameneties' were for the benefit and enhancement of our social fabric. You rarely see them now.

Local council's sell them off.

If you've got a Lido nearby - make sure you hang on to it.

Where I live in Mill Hill, they shut the swimming pool in the 80's - turned it into a garden centre. Closed the hockey pitch nearby - built houses on it. Closed the sports club nearby - where people played cricket and other sports. Now they are building on it. The nearest Lido was Kingsbury - they closed that and left it derelict for years - now they are building on it.

Anything that was created for public use is now seen by local government as an asset and sold off.

On a related note, with the weather being so pleasant, our water companies will probably be moaning about possible drought soon - despite the fact that they have been selling all the 'booster' reservoirs that the Victorians so thoughtfully created for when demand was high. Yet another 'asset' being turned into an earner.