Hi all,what was the first record that you bought?mine was Freight Train by Chas Macdevitt and Nancy Whiskey,I think it was about 1955.I bought it from Hindleys I think they were on Clumber St.I didnt know till recently that she was a Leicester Girl.

Lynmee

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crikey, your formative years in a nut shell. Some goodies, some mediocre, some.... Well not so mediocre. I remember about the same age being asked by an aunt what record could she buy for my birthday

'Telstar' Tornadoes, and that VERY blonde Heinz

Elvis Presley Teddy Bear/Loving You on a RCA 78 Still got the record but nothing that will play it!

Posted Images

Probably a Beachboy's LP, not sure now.

Hi,

first record bought was the Weavers - dated 1960 (just looked), second was Peter, Paul and Mary - dated 1962. All time favourites the Watersons - mid sixties.

The Watersons were a folk group from 'ull. Memorable songs - the north country maid, Holmfirth anthem, I am a rover and the white cockade.

Coal Dust Ballads by the Ian Campbell Folk (same era) has lots of pre-war pit songs and music. Whilst an EFDSS (English folk dance and song society) record includes a Jack Armstrong who started performing in pubs in 1926.

Once heard Ewan McColl singing in the backroom of a pub in Nottingham, but can't remember which one. He was fantastic. That was in the early sixties.

Hugs Alison

• Upvote 1
Ayup all,

I think it was "I want to hold your hand" by the Beatles, got it from big co op on Parliament street,

Rog

Mine was "Paper Roses" - I bought it also from the Co-op on Parliament Street for me mums birthday as she liked it. Can't remember who sang it though. Some female artist but can't place the name.

Geez - I can still see those record booths in the basement.

Mine was "Paper Roses" - I bought it also from the Co-op on Parliament Street for me mums birthday as she liked it. Can't remember who sang it though. Some female artist but can't place the name.

60's original was by the Kaye Sisters....

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi,

first record bought was the Weavers - dated 1960 (just looked), second was Peter, Paul and Mary - dated 1962. All time favourites the Watersons - mid sixties.

The Watersons were a folk group from 'ull. Memorable songs - the north country maid, Holmfirth anthem, I am a rover and the white cockade.

Coal Dust Ballads by the Ian Campbell Folk (same era) has lots of pre-war pit songs and music. Whilst an EFDSS (English folk dance and song society) record includes a Jack Armstrong who started performing in pubs in 1926.

Once heard Ewan McColl singing in the backroom of a pub in Nottingham, but can't remember which one. He was fantastic. That was in the early sixties.

Hugs Alison

I recall seeing the early Waterson's too...

There was a recent BBC4 programme of them in a 2006 concert...quite superb with Norma still blazing away in her own inimitable style, supported by daughter Eliza Carthy ( who seems to dominate the current scene). Martin Carthy also appeared, but in a restrained role.

Their site is at:

http://www.watersoncarthy.com/

Saw Ewan McColl in 1961/62 at The Wheatsheaf in Bingham....also 'on the bill' were Peggy Seeger and Luke Kelly - before he became a Dubliner.....awesome!

McColl's notorious Citroen De Pallas broke down in the pub yard. and spent a few days in Bingham garage being patched up!

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi all,what was the first record that you bought?mine was Freight Train by Chas Macdevitt and Nancy Whiskey,I think it was about 1955.I bought it from Hindleys I think they were on Clumber St.I didnt know till recently that she was a Leicester Girl.

Lynmee

I saw Nancy Whiskey, as a solo performer, at The Aquarius in Chesterfield about 10 years back. She cut a very lonely and depressed figure whilst sitting with the audience following her stint. Numerous folk were trying to console her, over some matter or other....but to no avail. IIRC, she passed away quite recently.

My first record (78) was 'Elizabethan Seranade' by Ron Goodwin & his Orchestra...

I'll get me coat...... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

I recall seeing the early Waterson's too...

Saw Ewan McColl in 1961/62 at The Wheatsheaf in Bingham....also 'on the bill' were Peggy Seeger and Luke Kelly - before he became a Dubliner.....awesome!

Hi Rob,

I read somewhere that Ewan McColl wrote "The first time ever I saw your face" for Peggy Seeger. Roberta Flack took it to #1 in the charts in the early seventies.

I am often reminded of his song "Dirty old town" when I think about Nottingham of the fifties.

I met my love by the gas works wall

Dreamed a dream by the old canal

Kissed a girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

It may have been written about Salford, but it just as much applied to Nottingham as anywhere else. The Gas Works on London Road near the junction with Station Street - the old canal between Carrington Street and Wilford Road, and the Boots factory between Waterway Street and Kinglake Street.

Didn't think of it as a "Dirty Old Town" then, probably didn't know any better. I mean it was home.

Hugs Alison

Hi Rob,

I read somewhere that Ewan McColl wrote "The first time ever I saw your face" for Peggy Seeger. Roberta Flack took it to #1 in the charts in the early seventies.

Well, what a coincidence, here I am sitting in the office having a brew before going out on site and listening to Johnny Walker on the Wogan show (Radio 2 for our pals across the seas) and he is playing "the first time ever I saw your face" by Roberta Flack - spooky or what

Time is now 8.55 am if you want to check it out on the radio 2 website and listen again http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/

Rob

Thanks for the heads up on the original Paper Roses song

Didn't Roger Whittaker make a record of "Dirty Old Town"??

Didn't Roger Whittaker make a record of "Dirty Old Town"??

I believe that he did....the definitive version was undoubtedly sung by Luke Kelly.

Still in the Shane McGowan repertoire....

Cheers

Robt P.

I’m going to sound boring now but I didn’t buy any records.

My first music player was a reel-to-reel tape recorder and player, which at the time was something special in as much it had two speeds, you could voice over whatever you were recording and it weighed a ton to carry, so you can imagine it didn’t leave my bedroom.

The first album I bought was from Boots at the bottom of Pelham Street, Beach Boys pet Sounds I believe.

I wish now I hadn’t sold all those boxed album tapes they by now must be worth a fortune.

I can’t for the life of me remember if my parents ever owned a record gram but I reckon they must have where else would I hear music from.

I remember going to my dads brothers house in St Ann’s he had a potting shed where odds and sods were stored and amongst these adds and sods I came across a pile of records some where very old which only had one side the other was blank, I don’t remember who the artists were.

Bip.

Tiger feet - Mud

That’s right, that’s right, that’s right, that’s right

That’s neat, that’s neat, that’s neat, that’s neat

I really love, I really love, I really love, I really love

I really love your tiger feet.

That’s neat, that’s neat, that’s neat, that’s neat

I really love, I really love, I really love, I really love

I really love your tiger feet.

They don't wright em like that no more ........ thank F**K .

and a lot of The Shadows.

The Shadows, now that brings back memories. Who can remember "Apache"??

How many thousands of kids played "air guitar" to that piece ?

Hugs Alison

Hugs Alison

I can assure you Alison I wasn't one, I just cringe at seeing one of those pathetic people doing that, also Elvis impersonators have the same effect.

Bip. :Fool:

At last!! we agree on something Den,can't bloody stand any of that,makes me shudder :(

Hugs  Alison

I can assure you Alison I wasn't one, I just cringe at seeing one of those pathetic people doing that, also Elvis impersonators have the same effect.

Bip. :Fool:

Wow Air Guitar world champion !!!!!!!!

click below

My first record was an album called `The Folk Singer` and I also purchased it at Boots on Pelham street. I learnt all of the songs on it and still get asked to sing them at festivals here. Talking about Pelham street, I used to work in the model aircraft department downstairs in Beecroft and Sons. I have some photos somewhere that I will scan in and post.

Regards Andrew Cole

My first single was Something in the air by Thunderclap Newman. First album was Revolver by the Beatles. Both bought at Goodchilds on Arkright st late 1960's They dont make em like that any more !