• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crikey, your formative years in a nut shell. Some goodies, some mediocre, some.... Well not so mediocre. I remember about the same age being asked by an aunt what record could she buy for my birthday

'Telstar' Tornadoes, and that VERY blonde Heinz

Elvis Presley Teddy Bear/Loving You on a RCA 78 Still got the record but nothing that will play it!

Posted Images

Thanks for reminding me EileenH . I think I bought Dream Baby by Roy Orbison as my second ever 45rpm before the Four Seasons one .

First single was 'Summer in the City' by the Lovin' Spoonful , bought second-hand from a record stall run by a guy called Arthur, in the old Central Market.

First new single (6/8d) was 'She'd rather be with me' by The Turtles, from Hindleys in Clumber Street.

hindley.jpg

• Upvote 1

LizzieM #54

Lizzie, you have just reminded me that one of the earliest single 45's I can remember buying was Heinz "Just like Eddie"

Michael Booth #55 We have still got a copy of the LP "South Pacific" SWMBO used to listen to it when studying.

• Upvote 1

I know this ought to be on another thread but mention of the film South Pacific has spurred me into print. I think that South Pacific was the finest of the Hollywood musical films. The story, the location and the songs were just wonderful. My favourite song in the film is I'm in Love With a Wonderful Guy. The Nellie Forbush character gives it her all in a wonderful wide-screen panarama and convinces us all that she really is in love. The Younger Than Springtime number was also extremely well done. There were some truly great moments in that film, if you are a soppy old sod, like me.

I remember seeing the film at the Odeon cinema. It was equipped with a surround-sound system, and in the opening scene of a Catalina flying-boat the aircraft's sound also came from the back of the auditorium.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Chulla. I think everybody had a copy of the LP and it still features heavily in charity shop LP boxes under the bookshelves in the corner. Usually accompanied by the Stylistics Greatest Hits and endless 'Top of the Pops 'cover version' albums with foxy babes on the covers.. :)

I also saw the film at the Odeon, with my late Sister. I remember a sequence where the screen went though rainbow colours. Was it the 'Bali Hai' sequence?

Col

• 1 month later...

When I got my first record player I went out and bought...

Happy Jack - The Who

Gimme Some Loving - Spencer Davis

Good Vibrations - Beach boys

Gosh TBI! Even in the amazingly fertile 60s you'd have struggled to pick 3 better songs at the time.

Col

• Upvote 1

Ah. That's interesting.

The first record I bought with my own money was 'The Price Of Love' by The Everly Brothers.

My Dad had always bought records for the family before but he baulked at buying things like The Rolling Stones.

(The Beatles he didn't mind).

He said that since I was now getting pocket money, I had to buy records myself if I wanted them.

The price was 6/3d (That's 6 shillings and 3 pence).

From what I'm told 'The Price Of Love' was something of a comeback record for The Everlys.

Still sounds great now.

For me it was getting off a 17 bus,junction of Arnold rd/Hucknall rd,and lad off Gainsford John Wallhead telling me...........