The Arriba Club, Bottle Lane

One of my favorite haunts prior to it being closed down and demolished in the early 90's. :P

Not as swish as some of the newer clubs at that time. In fact it's attraction was it's seediness. It had a Spanish theme, and some of its clientele were somewhat questionable!

The carpets were legendary that they stuck to your feet as you walked.

The owners have moved to other clubs since the close of the original Ariba, none of which have had anything like the atmosphere.

Sadly although the original was demolished all those years ago, on my last visit to Nottingham, The land still remained undeveloped. :(

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ariba club on bottle lane, thats where i met my husband Alan rhodes, he is a Bulwell lad, me an old meddars gel through and through, and we are still together after 22 years, remember the chicken in the basket upstairs, the music and the ambience, going outside near flying horse and grabbing a taxi home, what memories that night club holds for us, and the meadows gang, if anyone on here went to deering school post me a message, i run that web site, with loads of pics, like bosseyed, thanks dicko

At last, someone else is out.

Another went to the Ariba.

Last I heard Alan & Margaret were running another Ariba Club, somewhere

in Nottingham. Bet the carpets don't stick to yer feet?

Come on Dicko, what is this web site ?

• 5 months later...

Just an update.

You might not know.

The DJ's there in the 80's were Nick Palmer and Paul McKenzie.

post-45-1146981004.jpg Paul Mckenzie

is now a DJ on Radio Derby, and has been for many years.

He does an excellent show in the afternoons...

building_270.jpg

Not sure what Nick is doing but I know Paul has kept in touch with him.

I bumped into Paul in as filling station in Little Eaton a few years ago.

I still have a tape of Paul and Nick DJ'ing at The Ariba. I am holding it to ransome, (or one day it may be worth a fortune on Ebay) :D

Hey Mick

You must now be older than you look then to remember that one and what a saddo for naming the DJ's. Nevermind love pension book on its way, good on ya to let us know that info, i was not that intimate with the DJ's myself, hmmmmmmmmm answer that one love :D yahoo

Last I heard Alan & Margaret were running another Ariba Club

Yes Alan and Margaret now run the Ariba club on St.James street it used to be the old Pieces night club before that they had the old Scampi's / Arbellas on Wollaton street now an hotel , funnily enough those 3 venues where and still are know as Jurassic park with the lads around town , but well worth a visit !!

• 4 months later...

The Arriba Club on Bottle lane was an absolute phenomenon in its day.

Alan and Margaret originally bought the Monday club which only had a bar and a dance floor.

Adjacent to the club was the Lantern Lodge (entrance next to Warro's).

So in 1976 they Knocked through and the old entrance and downstairs bar became Casa Manuel.

Manuel and I used to work together at Mr Millers club on Bridlesmith Gate now called the Bomb I believe. Well we both left Millers, he opened up his restaurant and I signed my life away for 5 years at the aforesaid Arriba.

I even built a flat above the club so that I could never be late for work!!!!!!!!

On my infrequent visits to Nottingham I usually drop in to see Alan and Margaret, and he still reminds me of Arthur Daley!

I also keep in regular contact with Paul Mackenzie, and we keep threatening to surprise them both soon! That will be a laugh! 

nick palmer said:
Alan and Margaret originally bought the Monday club

Adjacent to the club was the Lantern Lodge

On my infrequent visits to Nottingham I usually drop in to see Alan and Margaret, and he still reminds me of Arthur Daley!

I also keep in regular contact with Paul Mackenzie, and we keep threatening to surprise them both soon! That will be a laugh! 

Yes I remember The Monday Club, correct me if I am wrong, but I got the impression that was a Conservative Club? And the Lantern Lodge was at the top round the corner, on the flat, with geogian style windows.

On the opposite corner, upstairs was the 'Belvedere Club' 2/6d Curry and Kicked in jukebox are my only memories of that place.

McKenzie made good with Radio Derby (Traitor) I sometimes listen to his show.

Woul'nt mind seeing Alan and Margaret again, Does Cath still keep out the worst of the Rif-Raf?

You might remember a couple of mates of mine of that Era, Joe Flowers (Petal)

or you refered to him as a Dandilion, tall slim and thick curly hair.

dandilion_lg.gif

Or Ian Shepherd, (Beefsteak or Shep), used to DJ with you and Paul occasionally at bar 3 of the Ariba.

And another memory of the Ariba, in order to be able to serve till 12 on a Sunday

night, you had to have a pizza. How Many Pizzas can you eat, The guy(NAME?) who used to heat them up was glad to get rid of them, so he could have a drink.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the only image I can find of the Ariba club.

It is the second building on the left, down Bottle Lane.

Well it said it was Bottle Lane, but I am not sure?

post-16-1146134649_thumb.jpg

That leads to Market Square right? or my memory is fading!!

Here is the only image I can find of the Ariba club.

It is the second building on the left, down Bottle Lane.

Well it said it was Bottle Lane, but I am not sure?

That's not Bottle Lane that's Byard Lane the pub on top right in your picture is Cross Keys now called CKs

The bottom of Bottle Lane was Clumber Street Caz, the top I think was Low Pavement, Mick will correct me if I'm wrong.

The bottom of Bottle Lane was Clumber Street Caz, the top I think was Low Pavement, Mick will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bridlesmith gate is at the bottom of Bottle Lane Fletcher Gate is at the top , Low Pavement is at the end of Bridlesmith gate Broad Marsh end

post-16-1146159655_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mick, it doesn't seem anybody noticed anything out of place!? Anyone for some shopping with Daddy's credit card and some Starbucks later?!!! ;)

• 2 months later...