The Arriba Club, Bottle Lane

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry but I can't resist adding to this one.

I the affor mentioned Ian Sheppard of no sound mind or fixed aboad( like Roger and pete smith) spent many happy days of my youth gaining meanful employ and sustenance in the affor mentioned arriba club partaking and imbibing of many an intoxicating substance to whit the cheapest beer Alan could by at the cash and carry on canal street and I thoughrerly ? enjoyed myself guilty as charged your honour

p.s. weren't you with me most of the time Mick? and then afters at the poonam on Thurland street !hungry! !cheers!

• 6 months later...

Around 1976 i installed an intercom system at the Ariba club. There was a first and second floor both with bars and it was connected to Casa Manuels a spanish restaurant on Fletcher Gate. I went there on a few occasions but don't remember a lot about it.

I believe Margaret and Alan are still at the Ariba on St James St and heard it's not too bad in there.

Called in in Feb, George on glasses now Alan still a miserable sod (Until you get to know him) Margrate is as lovely (If maybe just a couple more wrinkles) as ever

When ya tekkin me back Ian, Its safe to go back now I know the ex. (G) dont go any more.

We could have a reunion, Frank & George, Paul Mkenzie, Nick Palmer, to name but a few?

• 5 years later...

Bit out of date though !!

There's someone on there claiming to have been recommended it, and "Can I go on the guest list please?"

• 1 year later...

Radfordred: was working at Camelot Club the night John Lennon was shot- we closed up and the whole staff went to the Ariba; we got drunk and played Beatles till 4am- lucky the FON A CAR driver took a very drunk twenty year old home!!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I only ever went here once, on my birthday & had been to the Mardi Gras, very likely a sunday..asked the bar staff where we could continue the night... I didn't want it to end with Frank Marino's cover of Purple Haze! ..Took our about 12 strong entourage ages to find.. remember the DJ playing Gabriel's Sledge hammer that was released a few months earlier..

Wednesdays were known as Grab a Granny night.  Possibly a bit offensive to today's more sensitive member's ears but that's what it was called at the time.  Had some great nights in there over the years; back in the day when Nottingham catered for all tastes and not just the student/youth population.

• 1 year later...

The Aribba club was a legendary place , 

hosts Alan and Margaret where both fantastic hosts , my Friday nights began with the “stairway to heaven “ wonderful atmosphere and some real characters frequented it . I once got barred for one month !!!!!by Alan for some minor infringement, probably using a naughty swear word. I remember pleading with Margaret and she gave me a suspended sentence . I really thought she was a beautiful lady , Oh what happy memories. 
Andy Elton 

• 7 months later...

Wednesday's were know as 'grab a granny night' in the late 80's.  Was well rough in there too and smoke hung down all over the place like pea soup, had to chop your way through it with a knife to get to the bar or toilets.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, mick2me said:

17155163_1488746407811228_2840045442448085920_n.jpg

Some memories in that place over the late years of the 1980's.  Wonderful place and some great characters in there too along with the odd' ruffian lol