Great choices there . I'll just add The Don Juan. Jules et Jim. The Bohemian.

Mustn't forget to mention The Beaujolais 'Restaurant ' up that alley leading to Eldon Chambers just off Wheeler Gate. Unbelievable.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clumber Street looked a bit different back then.

FFS don't get me started , have to start applying the red Lippy and gerrin ready for me nite out !!!! Some things never change, different venues different people , different time but still the same m

The belvedere club pilchar gate ( now buried under a block of flats ) The dungeon club ( now a second rate law firm ) The ad lib / beachcomber ( now a student haunt ) El Toreador coffee bar ( now b

A late friend of mine (Pete) was chef there in the very late 60's or early 70's. I went in late one night about when it first opened. I took my ex and Pete came to our table with filthy cords and apron, fag in his mouth and yelled out " what are you f***ing having then?

That set the tone for a long night / morning of hilarity, drunkeness and generally bad behaviour. Can't fault it.

Crikey, mustn't forget the Boat Club and crap parties on Burns Street.

FFS don't get me started , have to start applying the red Lippy and gerrin ready for me nite out !!!! Some things never change, different venues different people , different time but still the same me, doing what I do best .....LIVING !!!!

• Upvote 3

Friday night, 'The Weekend Starts Here' . Watch Ready, Steady, Go. Then get the E8, or F5 and hit town !

• 3 weeks later...

A great picture bubble. My dad always used to tell me how rough that was.

I found this item during one of my browsing moments. It is from an old Evening Post 2009 written by John Brunton. The Corner Pin along with a few other public houses are mentioned. Hope you enjoy reading. Sorry if it has been used before.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/orders-city-ale-houses/story-12234409-detail/story.html

• Upvote 3

Nice article Carnie'.......loved the bit about the dress codes even in different rooms,........I may be old fashioned but I believe in folk making an effort to dress for the occasion...........On holiday recently the Hotel restaurant clearly stated........'no T shirts or shorts allowed' but every night there was at least half a dozen who ignored it,some even wearing flip-flops......sadly the Hotel never enforced it.

• Upvote 1

I have something in my mind about only being served half pints of beer in the Corner Pin? I think it was something Mum said years ago, but I could have got muddled! Does any one remember this at all.

I seem to recall Ladies not being allowed Pints in certain Pubs............?...........my girlfriends in the 60's only drank Babychams and the like,......one asked me for a Quatro' one night I naturally obliged even though it was 4/6..........glad when she packed me up...........

My mother would never dream of smoking in the street either. Women did not do that she always said.

Mrs Catfan to this day would never drink from a pint glass, NOT ladylike she says !

• Upvote 1

Probably to stop the old Nottingham custom of an Upturned Pint glass being placed on the table,which said.........'i'll fight anyone in the pub'.........anyone else heard of this ?

• Upvote 1

i'd forgot all about that Eileen.............mens half pint glasses were straight and womens a nice shaped top bit............