#44. The ref to only being served half pints in the Corner Pin was not for women only, it was every one. I just wondered if anyone knew if this was right.

Certainly, the bar on Clumber Street served half only to everybody. Have it in mi mind that the other bar sold pints.

Probably to stop the old Nottingham custom of an Upturned Pint glass being placed on the table,which said.........'i'll fight anyone in the pub'.........anyone else heard of this ?

Oh yes, that's not solely a Nottingham custom though...

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clumber Street looked a bit different back then.

FFS don't get me started , have to start applying the red Lippy and gerrin ready for me nite out !!!! Some things never change, different venues different people , different time but still the same m

The belvedere club pilchar gate ( now buried under a block of flats ) The dungeon club ( now a second rate law firm ) The ad lib / beachcomber ( now a student haunt ) El Toreador coffee bar ( now b

Must be another Bulwell thing Catfan...............

Edit............perhaps not.............just seen Stu's reply..........

Walked in the Heathfield one satdee afto,Ron Saunders had an upturned glass on his table- I lifted it and filled it with a Micky mouse:" because it's you Ian..thanks mate!"

Only when I went in the poolroom- somebody told me what it meant!!

Thats funny Ian,it was in the Heathfield where i found out, i was about 17 and went in to see me Mam and Aunties,Mam told me i could have just one Pint then go............i drank the Pint and put the empty glass on the table upside down...........Mam and all me Aunts went mad and pushed me out the place.....

Wow brilliant reading all those familiar old places. Takes me back! I live in Manchester now this is a good place to call in on when I'm homesick.

• Upvote 2

Even for half pints there would be 'men`s glasses' and 'ladies glasses'. Does that still apply in today`s pubs?

Got me thinking Eileen of all the types of glasses when I worked behind the Bar in the 60s.......Oxford Hotel Highbury Vale,and Railway club Bulwell.,

Straight Pints

Tulip Pints

Tankards,

Stem glasses........for ladies who liked Milk Stout

Mens 1/2 pints straight

Ladies 1/2 Pints shaped

Flutes for the very occasional Wine drinker

Bottle glasses for any bottled 1/2 pint drink,Mackeson,Guiness,Jubillee stouts.

Tumblers for spirits

Babycham glasses also used for Cherry B's and Martini's

Then the real Naff,personalised Tankards that blokes had with their names on....................Plonkers.....LOL.

• Upvote 1

The Commodore at Aspley

The Locarno dance hall

The old Ice Stadium

All of Raleigh offices and factories

Players factory on Radford Blve

William Crane School

Bulwell Lido

General Hospital

Lyons cafes

I worked in the design office at Raleigh as a school leaver in 1970. The office where I was based is still there together with quite a few others which are just behind the main head office building on Lenton Boulevard. They are split into small units as a business centre but 'my' office is practically unchanged. My boss was Alan Oakley who allegedly designed the Chopper which he didn't but that's another story. So 99% of Raleigh is gone but not all.

Bulwell men's glasses ! Full of Hobgoblin of course, none of that mamby pamby Lager stuff !

P1020816_zps2iuhbe7g.jpg

P1020810_zpso0yospge.jpg

A right pair of Bulwell characters here !

Here's a "proper" glass !

P1050182_zpse4fxi5wy.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Had some fun nights in the bar there early 70s.  

Met The Who by the front door in about 1965, they were just unloading their van.  Got their autographs too! 

• Upvote 1

Stayed at the George a few times whilst visiting Nottingham, just before I left for France. It had some ghastly, poky little guest rooms but, they were cheap - it had some nice rooms as well.

I remember an excellent steak I had there. I asked for bleu and it was perfectly cooked for my taste. I'm sure a lot of diners would have preferred it a little bit longer on the griddle but, as far as I was concerned, it was a steak that sticks in my memory.

My hubby asks for his steak the same way, in other words, whip its horns off, and wipe its ass. We stayed at the George a few years ago, room faced George St. Hardly slept a wink,  what with the youngsters walking past between clubs, yelling loudly till about 3am, then just got to sleep and the bin men came round. Give me an out-of-town hotel everytime.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

BUMP

For a while I've been trying to find images of a very ornate building somewhere near Trent bridge, no longer here. Possibly gone in the early 1900s All I can remember is a picture of it burning down. I think it may have been for music or arts? In the picture there were people all watching and the ladies all had long dresses on, possibly Victorian? I can't Google it because I don't know what it was called. Just wondered if anyone can make a guess from my small amount of information as to the building