katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

katyjay    3,301

Flash bulbs for your camera. You'd take one off the strip, slot it into the top front of your camera, take a flash picture and discard the bulb.

Brownie box cameras

Hair laquer that you bought a refill for. The refill was in a soft plastic tube, you'd snip off the end and refill your bottle, then squeeze the bottle. This stuff would hold your beehive 'do, in the strongest of hurricanes!

Shampoo that came in satchets

Nylon stockings held up with a suspender belt. They came seamless or with a seam up the back, in different deniers.

• Upvote 1

Ayupmeducks    1,208

Polaroid cameras and film.

Ayupmeducks    1,208
White dog s***

Cheers

Robt P.

Can't say I've ever seen any Rob....

katyjay    3,301

Trolley buses or tracklesses

sugar weighed out in blue bags

biscuits weighed out, they were in big square tins with a glass lid

rag and bone man

78's, 45's, LP's EP's

8mm film

8 track stereo

• Upvote 2

alisoncc    367

And the rabbit man. Although they had been gutted, many still had their skins on, and he would offer to skin a rabbit when you bought one. I still dream of rabbit pie.

Hugs Alison

katyjay    3,301

Run rabbit, run rabbit, run run run

Don't give the farmer his fun fun fun

He'll get by, without his rabbit pie

So run rabbit, run rabbit, run run run.

Aah memories.

• Upvote 2

Limey    240

Me mum would get rabbit from time-to-time - I hated it! I still can't bear the thought of eating it - but I have probably tried everything else (kangaroo, anyone?).

How about bus conductors - and buses with the entrance platform at the back!

Grocery (or butchers) delivery boys on their bikes on Saturday mornings.

• Upvote 1

Bip    90

Telegram P O Riders on their red motor bikes.

Bip.

katyjay    3,301

I'd forgotten about telegrams.

It seemed like bus conductors had about 3 sentences in their repertoire. Hold-ee tight, move down the bus, and tickets please.

• Upvote 2

Limey    240

Telegram riders made me think of AA and RAC men with their sidecar outfits - and if you were a member (with the badge on your grill) they would salute!

• Upvote 1

Bip    90

Mobil knife and lawn mower blade sharpeners.

Bip.

lynmee    37

Victoria Station

High level Station

Old Market Square

Corner Pin and most of the other pubs between the old Broad Marsh bus station and the Locarno.

Lynmee

• Upvote 1

radfordred    2,333

The postman before mid-day

• Upvote 1

Frank    9

The old gipsy woman giving out colouring book and crayons for a few old rags.

plantfit    2,584

NITS and that little blue spot on the top of kids heads from (Sneinton) sorry Sneintonions just larking about,

Rog

katyjay    3,301

I remember the gypsies coming round Frank. They were either selling lucky heather, wooden clothes pegs or somesuch. They always scared me, as I thought they would put a hex on us if we didn't buy something. Also the man with the grinding wheel would come round to sharpen knives.

• Upvote 1

Bip    90

Rag and bone men, baker delivery boys on their bikes, grocery deliveries boys too like Granville in Open all hours. These days you are more likely to see Robindok in his squeaky-clean refrigerated Tesco delivery van tiring around the streets helping in their own way to global warming.

Bip

katyjay    3,301

Big black Bakelite telephones. We had one with a dial on front and a brown twisted cord. we also had a party line we shared with another house round the Circus. You had to lift the receiver and listen to see if anyone was talking, if so, put it down, if not you could dial out.

Toothpaste that came in a round tin. It was solid and you wet your brush and rubbed it in the block.

Mascara was also in a block, with a little brush. You wet the block to masacar your lashes. Spit would do if you were not near a sink!

Furniture polish in a round tin, usually smelled of lavendar or lemon.

Public telelphones with an A and B button. Put in your 3 old pennies, press A if you got an answer, B if not, and you get your money back.

Gas meter you put money in. You got a rebate when the gas man came and emptied it.

• Upvote 2

Limey    240
Big black Bakelite telephones. We had one with a dial on front and a brown twisted cord. we also had a party line we shared with another house round the Circus. You had to lift the receiver and listen to see if anyone was talking, if so, put it down, if not you could dial out.

Toothpaste that came in a round tin. It was solid and you wet your brush and rubbed it in the block.

Mascara was also in a block, with a little brush. You wet the block to masacar your lashes. Spit would do if you were not near a sink!

Furniture polish in a round tin, usually smelled of lavendar or lemon.

Public telelphones with an A and B button. Put in your 3 old pennies, press A if you got an answer, B if not, and you get your money back.

Gas meter you put money in. You got a rebate when the gas man came and emptied it.

Yep - all of those!

What about the "Betterware" man? He sold that furniture polish in the round tin! I also remember Rediffusion TVs that you put money in - and electricity meters too!

"The shillings gone" was the phrase in our house if the gas or electricity went out. My mum still said it many years later if there was a power cut!

• Upvote 1

katyjay    3,301

We used to say that too. I'd forgotten about that.

katyjay    3,301

Just remembered, as well as the Betterware man, there was the Cleaneasy man [bet I've spelt that wrong] And Davenports [beer at home means Davenports] and the pop delivery men [Redfearns and Redgates]

Ayupmeducks    1,208

Don't forget me Dad in his Co-op electric bread delivery float!

Parazone bleach, when bleach wasn't the watered down stuff we buy today.

Trolley buses at Slab Square wasting time because they were there too early.

katyjay    3,301

A farthing, halfpenny, old penny, thruppenny bit, shilling, 2 bob [also a florin] half crown and a 10 bob note.

Ayupmeducks    1,208

Teddyboy's, Beatnicks and Hippies we all grew up into Nottstalgia posters.. Oooer!