Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Yes, Dave, Brian was in the first batch of 11 yr olds, there was a picture in the Post with all the new kids on it. He has a copy.

Talking of rubber moulds....I still have a concrete gnome I made in 1977 using one of those rubber moulds. Photo later.

Dave, must take a look at FR. He went to an Old Boys reunion a few years ago at the Cricket ground clubhouse. I think they meet yearly, it was his first time. Someone was there who had left in 1939.

Home made winter warmers

Which was a Cow & Gate milk powder tin, pierced around the sides with a long handle made from wire rescued from the firewood bundle, attached to this was a string to give flexibility. Once fire was well lit the can was filled with coal. In order to boost the output it was swung windmill fashion or if you were the lairy sort in an X across the chest. Many an evening was spent on the corner of Lindfield and Shipley Road with our warmers we'd probably be about 9 or 10 years old.

• Upvote 1

Yes Dave,we did the same on Bestwood estate,the question is WHY,........lol.

shaving bowls- shaving sticks- styptic pencils-

Rose shoe shops- little box of Roin starch

navy blue knickers-awful things- DC electricity

metal dustbins- bronco toilet rolls- stilletto's with

screws in the heels- coloured & perfumed tissues

benjamin1945

WHY

Not sure but could be man's inbuilt fascination with fire, there is something relaxing and mesmerising about a flickering flame, but to me it was more about the element of danger when a mate got his rhythm wrong or his string burned through and we all had run around trying to avoid a shower of burning coals.

• Upvote 1

Clapper?

A contraption given away with the first issue of the Beezer. A hard piece of cardboard folded to make a triangle and fixed to one end was some stiff brown paper which folded inside the cardboard. Held in one raised arm and when brought swiftly down the paper was forced out and gave a resounding clap like thunder.

Teachers straps.

Used quite frequently at my 1st school and I suspect most other schools, although the Head used a cane when he carried out public floggings. Where did the teachers buy them from? Were they standard issue when completing teacher training?

• Upvote 1

I remember that 'clapper' or whatever it was called. I bought the Beezer just to get it...

• Upvote 1

Stick on rubber soles and heels for mending your own shoes. My grandfather used these. He used a last.

They're still about Shirley ... and I still do them.... and I still have a couple of lasts in the garage

• Upvote 1

Karlton, as I've mentioned in another place, I've still got my original snobs...

Yer go out with some posh folk then Marg. Teeee Heee

• Upvote 2